My camp's prep list so far

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
BurnerBunny
Burning Since: 2007

My camp's prep list so far

Post by BurnerBunny » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:26 pm

2019 will be my 3rd time at burning man. First 2 times I stayed with theme camps, this will be my first time camping in the open camping areas. I'm going with 1 friend, but we might have 1 or 2 other stragglers join us. I'm planning on going to burning man a few more times over the next decade (ticket gods willing), so decided to go big this year and reuse this stuff down the road. That's how I'm justifying the cost anyway, the little lies we tell ourselves are the easiest to swallow.

Who knows, maybe I'll find some people to join me for future burns too. God forbid I actually talk to people at the burn and make friends. It's possible!!

My theme inspiration is old norse. I don't have a sign yet but my camp name will probably be "Nýr Óðr". I'm making this post to get feedback, and help anyone else out who might be going over their lists.

I have 2 tickets already, but I forgot to buy a vehicle pass. Hoping to pick one up during the OMG sale. Fingers crossed.

Shelter packing list:
  • edit: I have 2 tickets already. Totally forgot to buy a vehicle pass. Registering for that in the OMG sale. Fingers crossed I can get one.
  • Two 10' x 20' shelter logic carports to be put side by side for a 20ft X 20ft shade structure.
  • To secure the shade structure:
    • 20 J hook rebar stakes 18" long
    • 3" gaffers tape for taping the shelter logic pole joints together to increase strength.
    • 16 nylon loops to make it easier to tie down the structure from the horizontal side poles.
    • 16 ratcheting ties to connect nylon loops to the rebar J stakes. Haven't bought yet. 8 per shade structure. Thinking placement will be 1 per corner and 1 in the middle of each side? Also planning on using the tie downs to strap things to both my SUV and the RV roof rack on the ride. Otherwise there's no way all this shit will fit in my SUV.
  • Shade Structure comfort:
    • 60' of Aluminet cloth with grommets to hang around 3 sides of the shade structure. Leaving the side facing the street open. Have some sheer fabric to hang on the entrance side if I'm feeling fancy.
    • 100' of outdoor LED string lights
    • 50 6" black ball bungee cords and 25 of the 4" cords. 6" are for hanging the aluminet shade cloth around the shade structure, the 4" for hanging lights.
    • Two 10'x20' outdoor carpets
    • Various camping chairs and a folding table. I'll be doing a test pack the week before to see how much room I have. Also have a hammock I might bring.
  • Tear drop camper for me and my buddy to sleep in. Hoping to strap a good amount of stuff to the top during the drive out. Has a small A/C that I'm hopeful will be enough for us to sleep in for a few extra hours. Plan is to park the RV inside the shade structure.
  • Power
    • Honda inverter generator EU3000iS
    • Large zombie box enclosure so our neighbors don't hate us. I also have a small aluminet shade cloth I'm going to put over the top of the zombie box using some tent poles to help it not overheat. One side tied to my car's roof rack, the other side the tent poles.
    • Need to buy extension cords
  • Cooler: I haven't bought one yet. In years past I brought a really well insulated one, put newspaper wrapped dry ice in the bottom, and then pre-froze 2 liter bottles of water and placed them over the dry ice. Lasted for 5-6 days without needing more ice, and didn't get anything soggy. Will probably do the same this year, but also have an additional cooler for buying ice at BM. I want to keep beers cold and make some mixed drinks with ice. Extra cooler is if there's enough space when packing <fingers crossed>. If only my outfit boxes didn't take up so much space.
  • Cooking: if there's space I have a camp oven that takes propane. Otherwise will have a camping stove that mounts to the top of a propane bottle. We aren't cooking fancy this year, mostly REI freeze dried stuff and a jetboil.
  • Water: I'm looking for some collapsible 5 or 10 gallon bags I can fill in Reno the day before the event so I'm not hauling the weight/space the entire drive.
  • Privacy: since the RV is not big enough to change in, and I'm not doing a shower setup and planning on doing shower wipes + wash cloth bucket baths I wanted a cabana for privacy.
Last edited by BurnerBunny on Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BurnerBunny

Re: My camp's prep list so far

Post by BurnerBunny » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:29 pm

Oops forgot to mention I'm buying a prybar for pulling out the J hook rebar stakes, and a mallet for driving them in.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:56 pm

You may be over zealous in the carport area. 2 people are going to get a 20 by 20 space plus your car. I hope you are arriving early. You won't be happy with that back packers stove. Bring the real propane stove and only 2 ice chests. The ice chests CAN'T sit on the ground. A couple of 2 by 4s will elevate it enough to make youe ice last longer. It needs to be in the shade at all times. You can also cover it with reflictix or a comforter. vice grips will help with removing your rebar.

You will eat half of the food you bring so it shouldn't be all fresh foods. Think sardines and crackers, salami, potato chips, instant oatmeal, and other things that won't spoil. It you smoke cigarettes, bring twice as many as you usually smoke. Bring twice the coffee you think you will drink. (And twice the cheap beer too).
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Nice work Bunny! You've got a nice camp planned. Like Ratty said...get there early to make sure you have the space you need and be ready to adapt on the fly in case it goes sideways.

My brother and I are in a similar situation. My camp is a little more DIY, but taking it up a few levels this year too.
The two of us will have some nice shade to share along with our gifting plans. We're going solo and arriving on Sat night/Sun morning as the gates open (I hope).

Good Luck and see you in open camping! Shoot me a PM if you want to talk plans!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:04 pm

Prepared? Cool!
Here are some ideas.
LEDs can be very low power draw, so running them off deep cycle batteries, 12v or inverter can be quieter - fine to charge the batteries from the gene.
Bring some fabric to decorate.
Low income ticket holders have access to a vehicle pass, bring the LI ticket holders with you. Maybe you will find a N-Europe-Iceland fly in for your camp through the regionals.
Bring a long 10' lever or a stake puller to get the j-hooks out.
Some foods become carbonated in a cooler with dry ice.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:11 pm

Some seeing eye. His rebar is only 18 inches. He can twist that out with vise grips.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:19 pm

Hahaha, Ratty, I had 18 inch sunk out of 24 rebar which was a pita to get out. Maybe because it was driven by an impact hammer? No idea. You can bet I tried vice grips and pounding it side to side before the 8' lever. Left no rebar, they are still in my basement. Of course YMMV!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

BurnerBunny

Post by BurnerBunny » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:46 am

Thanks everyone for all the great responses!

Ratty: great tip to keep the icechest off the ground. I'll have some 2x4's strapped to my roof rack for transporting, should be able to untie those during the burn and place the chests on top of them so they aren't on the ground. The entire area of my shade structure will have a thin outdoor carpet too, hoping that helps a bit with the dust but probably won't make a huge different for the coolers.

JayBobBoy: Maybe we'll be neighbors! We're also trying to get there right when the gate opens. I'll be hanging out in Reno that Sat and picking up my campmate from the airport. I'll PM you.

Some seeing eye: I would love to power the LEDs off a battery, but I'm very low on space already. Wish I had a bigger truck to take, but my SUV will have to do this year. Great tip about finding a low income ticket holder, but doubt I'll have the room for a 3rd person in my ford escape will all my gear packed in. I'll know more after I do a test pack, so I'll keep this in mind as an option if I don't score my own vehicle pass. thanks! And I'll definitely be picking up a pry bar, maybe not a full 10 feet long though.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:09 pm

I literally laughed out loud, not in the casual LOL manner ...

You have enough infrastructure for a couple dozen people!

Woolly Fucking Shit, that’s bad-ass!

Forget all this BM crap, I want to hire you in the real world !!! ;)

OK, serious stuff ... if you do bring a 20x20 carport gizmo, make it a boondocks-help-a-virgin friendly place.

Invite some poor soul and adopt them.

Bonus items to consider :

Chainsaw Blender - it makes burbs life happy. Easy to travel with this device ...

Flasks of good whiskey - it makes bribes fun and effective.

Get a couple virgins for ice runs. - self evident.

Double thumbs up!

Now, being from Tx ... there is some atonement needed there ... ;)

BurnerBunny

Post by BurnerBunny » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:36 pm

RE Token:

haha yeah I'm a bit of an over planner. I'm hoping to meet some other viking minded people on the playa, and who knows maybe next year my camp will have more than 2 ppl.

BurnerBunny

Post by BurnerBunny » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:27 am

Have a fun update I wanted to share: I traded in my ford escape for a big ole F250 for future RV adventures. Should mean I can now bring a lot of the stuff I didn't have room for before to this year's burn: like a camp oven, extra chairs, and a few sparklepony stowaways.

How much kibble does a sparklepony consume per day? I can't seem to remember from my early SP days since the food just seemed to show up during costume changes.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:39 am

Hahaha!

My wife and I were the typical SF Bay Area tech, high-brow, intellectual ivory-tower bourgeoisie at the turn of the millennium...

... then we went to Burning Man ...

Then we traded one sports car and bought a pickup truck ...

... then the other sports car and got a trailer ...

... then we needed a bigger truck so got the big diesel with the Allison transmission... cuz those load and towing limits were for realz ...

... then we bought land up in the Sierra Foothills cuz we now had two big ass domes, a massive truck, trailer, and enough gear to survive the apocalypse...

... and over time ... we live Burning Man every day out here in the sticks.

Now it’s goat rodeo twice a day.

Careful where you end up! ;)

BurnerBunny

Post by BurnerBunny » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:06 pm

lol Token, I'm only about halfway through my transformation from city princess to paranoid mountain prepper kook, but at least it's been a fun ride so far :D

I have never owned a big diesel truck before. So much to learn. I had to ask the sales guy what the hell is that DEF spot next to the gas tank hole. I'm terrified that the first time I fill up the new beast I'll put regular gas in it, or try and fill up the DEF hole by accident. Or even worse, commit some heinous diesel sin that I don't even know of yet!

Hopefully I get it all sorted before burning man, otherwise I'll be learning in the forgiving environment that is the playa. :shock:

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”