Carport with closed sides —ventilation?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
wizzzzzzard
Burning Since: 2019

Carport with closed sides —ventilation?

Post by wizzzzzzard » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:06 am

Hey burners. I’m planning on setting up a nylon tent under a Shelterlogic carport. My carport has closed sides (the roof and sides are all one piece) and ends (one end rolls up) but the sides are tensioned and part of the structural integrity of the carport (methinks).

Do I need to worry about ventilation? Does anyone else have experience with this carport?
Would it make sense to leave one end open (ie not install it)?

Thanks!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Carport with closed sides —ventilation?

Post by Token » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:54 am

Have you assembled the carport yet in the real world to test it out and learn how to build it?

I have yet to see a design that uses the cover as a stressed member.

What is your goal?

Did you want a big private room that is sealed so you can not be seen

or

are you simply shading your tent from the sun to get some more sleep and also need a camp facing lounge?

To fully shade your tent you need the roof a long side and back side down. Basically the far corner. The rest can be open provided you pay attention to sunrise and sunset direction and line things up.

So what’s the plan ?

wizzzzzzard
Burning Since: 2019

Post by wizzzzzzard » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:07 am

I have not test assembled the carport but have read the manual and watched a bunch of videos. The cover is ratcheted tight to the frame and so is structural.

The goal is shade for my tent and a shaded cooking and cooling off area. Don’t care about the privacy thing. The door can be rolled up and down. The other end is attached (or left off)

My fundamental question is about how important air flow is...

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:28 am

Treat it like a monkey hut. Leave one end open facing the street. One end facing the gate. Have a way to close the end facing the gate. (That's where most of the wind comes from.) Yes, you will need ventilation.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:40 pm

wizzzzzzard wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:07 am
I have not test assembled the carport but have read the manual and watched a bunch of videos. The cover is ratcheted tight to the frame and so is structural.

The goal is shade for my tent and a shaded cooking and cooling off area. Don’t care about the privacy thing. The door can be rolled up and down. The other end is attached (or left off)

My fundamental question is about how important air flow is...
Oh! That’s new and improved then. I suppose it will keep the canvas tensioned and quieter.

In that case, what Ratty said. Tunnel it.

And yes, good ventilation is key to keeping it livable.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:40 pm

I just got through setting up (and taking down) a shelter logic for a regional. It did not come with ratchet straps and we ended up tieing a rope along the ridge, looping over each rafter so it would not come apart. There where no locking buttons or bolts on the connector pieces. You may have a different model but I suggest you make a physical check of what parts you actually have. Rope along the ridge will not be endough on Playa.
Of course you are planning on bringing rebar for the legs, ratchet straps for Xing across the supports and lag bolt aren't you?
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

burnercat
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Black Rock Bakery

Post by burnercat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:41 pm

What about replacing the end pieces with similarly-sized shade cloth? Would that work?
see you in the dust!

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”