mylar to cool a carport

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
sharpstick

mylar to cool a carport

Post by sharpstick » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:12 pm

We have a 10 x 20 carport. We were considering getting an aluminet 70% tarp to go over the top and lessen the heat from the sun. Alternatively, we can get rolls of aluminized mylar, 97% shade, much cheaper. I wouldn't trust it on top of the tarp, probably get shredded and blown away by the wind. But, if it is installed UNDER the roof tarp and fastened to the pole frame, it would stay in place better. It could have some sag to make a bit of an airspace.

Would the reflective mylar work under the tarp roof? (I think it is reflective on both sides.)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: mylar to cool a carport

Post by Ratty » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:10 pm

If it's heavy duty barrier you can use it. If it's that flimsy emergency blanket stuff, forget it. There is still a hurricane inside that will shred thin mylar.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:24 pm

Do some research on attic radiant barriers and the distance needed between the barriers and the roof. There is plenty of info out there because so much has been installed wrong and then the manufacturers are blamed. Check mfr's web sites.

For the aluminet over the shade, consider that when sunlight hits the alumninet some will be reflected and some absorbed. The absorbed heat will be conducted through the shade and and then radiated into the shelter and some will be conducted into the air below the shade.

Bottom line, you need air space both the between the reflectix and the shade roof and between the roof and the alumninet.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:57 pm

A heavy duty silver tarp will be way more effective and allot cheaper than aluminet.

hooker

Post by hooker » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:42 pm

I built a monkey hut using mylar, and it worked really well. It's a pain to make a tarp out of it, since it comes in 4 ft rolls, but it works really well and it's held up for 4 years now. I bought some online, but you can get it from home depot. I will say that the reflective aluminum has worn off in some areas after carrying it back and forth to the playa, but for your first year it will be good. I just wish someone made this stuff in large tarps. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
JR

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:45 pm

You always want your most reflective layer close to the sun. In your case, outside the carport cover, not inside.

I'm on the hunt for reflective fabrics. One recent discovery are "survive outdoors longer" reflective fabric bonded to tarp-like materials and grommeted in survival blanket size. Some burners binder clip them to the outside of their tent. They have other uses throughout the year. You could link them together on the top and sun side of a carport at about $.17-.45/sf. When I started buying Aluminet it was $.28, more now. Silver tarps have gone up in price the last few years.

Ideally there is an air gap between the reflective layer and the dust layer that is ventilated. So maybe a carport within a carport?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”