Box Truck Registration and Insurance

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Post Reply
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:01 am
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Rubber Armstrong

Box Truck Registration and Insurance

Post by kimbersykes » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:11 pm


My partner and I have been running a camp for the past 5 years and live for 11 months of the year in Amsterdam, Netherlands when we are not over here setting up the camp.

Our first year we rented a 16ft box truck and it was so practical we ended up purchasing one which we have been using for the past four years. We have now purchased a second identical box truck. They tootle around home depots in Reno and then drive to BRC.

In previous years we had just worn the commercial registration and insurance costs and filed for non-op / cancelled the policy as we leave.


- As the trucks are being used for non-business related matters (driving from Reno to BRC and back with some dusty camp equipment) is it possible to change the registration from a Commercial to an Automobile?

- Does anyone know an insurance provider that would insure us for one month a year (rather than having to cancel a six month policy)?

N. B.
- Not looking for advice on other solutions for transport and storage
- We maintain the vehicles properly and have never had issues

Please let me know if you are able to offer any advice. I am sure there is a better way.
Currently experimenting with the intricacies of time travel; see you last week

User avatar
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:53 am
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: VW Bus Camp
Location: Reno NV

Re: Box Truck Registration and Insurance

Post by Luigi » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:55 pm

In Nevada the vehicle is registered/taxed by weight. My chevy 2500 weighed around 5000 lbs. and was taxed same as a car. Here is the fee schedule:

For every motor truck, truck-tractor or bus, which has a declared gross weight of:
Less than 6,000 pounds, a fee of $33.
Not less than 6,000 pounds and not more than 8,499 pounds, a fee of $38.
Not less than 8,500 pounds and not more than 10,000 pounds, a fee of $48.
Not less than 10,001 pounds and not more than 26,000 pounds, a fee of $12 for each 1,000 pounds or fraction thereof.

I think there is an advantage to having NV plates, hoping the leo's won't fk with you as quickly.
As far as Insurance, I usually will leave comp only on my non op vehicles, it doesn't cost much and makes it easy to put back on the road, and covers the truck in storage.

There are some things I really love about being a NV resident, and the DMV is one of them. You are doing it smart, owning the truck is the way to go...I usually tell people 'just buy a cargo van for $3000 and go'
"Water is the driving force of all nature. " Leonardo da Vinci

Post Reply

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”