Critters on Playa?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
claybcook
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Critters on Playa?

Post by claybcook » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:04 am

I'm not talking about pets, I'm wondering if anyone has encountered any local and native creatures on the Playa? Last year (2018) when striking camp, I found tiny distinct footprints in a small area within my Monkey Hut where I'd seldom gone. Five distinct toes (fingers) and about 1/2" across. I never saw or heard anything and I'm amazed that there might be some sort of native animal that can live in the Playa, and that such a creature would venture into the heart of BRC (5:30 & G) in the middle of the event.
...extremely gruntled...very ept and full of ruth.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Critters on Playa?

Post by Token » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:43 am

30000 vehicles rolling in ... lots of them BM specific beaters, stored RVs, that were parked god knows where for a year ...

... I’ll guarantee that critter hitched a ride.

Only natives on Playa are usually insects blown in from the surrounding wetlands and birds.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:55 am

Last year I had distinct deer tracks through my camp, they were made sometime during the wet season.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Towards the end of the week around my camp, I even saw a few live, but lots of tracks of Sparkle Ponies.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:28 pm

Chupacabra
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:34 pm

lucky420 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:28 pm
Chupacabra
You likely saw Bob. Bob doesn't eat much. He never shaves or showers, and chews & smokes various desert plants. Avoid eye contact. Sometimes gets a position with DPW.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:43 pm

Canoe wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:34 pm
lucky420 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:28 pm
Chupacabra
You likely saw Bob. Bob doesn't eat much. He never shaves or showers, and chews & smokes various desert plants. Avoid eye contact. Sometimes gets a position with DPW.
May he Rest In Peace.

I miss Bob.

Always brings a smile when I find his old posts.

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:15 & D

Post by Molotov » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:57 pm

A couple of years ago, a kangaroo rat (apparently a stowaway in a shipping container) adopted us at ESD Camp 3. The little feller would scamper between our feet during shift briefings in the shade structure.

Some kind soul eventually caught him humanely and transported him to some vegetation at the edge of the playa where he would have a better chance of survival and finding a mate.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:45 am

Bring bear print, big cat print and some bovine print shoes, just to add to the folklore
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:23 pm

Molotov wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:57 pm
...Some kind soul eventually caught him humanely and transported him to some vegetation at the edge of the playa where he would have a better chance of survival and finding a mate.
Sorry, I thought you were explaining what happened to Bob.

There have been a number of threads over the years on wildlife found on the playa.
Here's one.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=61579

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”