Advice for what NOT to bring as a birgin tenter

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Corbett3000
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: Elev8

Advice for what NOT to bring as a birgin tenter

Post by Corbett3000 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:18 am

I’m a birgin, part of a camp build team pitching a tent (lots of experience in the desert/backcountry) and am trying to go light on gear. What would you NOT bring that in your experience was wasted weight/you just didn’t use that much?
==============================
Playa Names: RED/Rojo or Ceremony
==============================

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Advice for what NOT to bring as a birgin tenter

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:57 pm

My ex girlfriend.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Whatever I brought that wasn't needed for that year's conditions.

We're supposed to be self-sufficient, in all conditions. From a walk-in-the-park year, to whiteouts, heat, cold, rain or Condition Alpha, where you need to be able to hunker in place until conditions improve and its safe to get out and about or leave the playa. Or the playa is rain-soaked and no one can move. Or the road is washed out and no one can leave. Temperatures range from 34 F to 105 F. It has snowed at night. High winds, and then stupidly high winds. Rarely over 100 mph. Down bursts? All bets are off, as 150 mph will flatten a few camps.

No one knows what you'll need this year.

There are other threads on things people brought but never used. Google eplaya.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:52 pm

It is difficult to impossible to answer that question if you don't post your packing list.

Generally ePlaya is all about self sufficiency, rather than "the playa provides."

It's a camping trip you are familiar with.

Maybe it's different in a few ways. It has extremes of temperature. You need ear protection, sun protection, sunscreen and moisturizer. You will be walking 5-10 miles a day, or walking 5 and biking 15. Dust protection. Electrolytes.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Toe
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Empress

Post by Toe » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:38 pm

-Don't bring a janky bike. Bring a properly maintained bike.
-Don't bring a 2000Watt generator to charge a cell phone. Bring a bit of solar.
-Don't bring your cellphone. This may be your only opportunity to really unplug.
-Don't bring a 2000W generator to run a 2100W air conditioner and then realize your mistake and end up never using either of these (yes, I saw it happen this year). Bring 100W of solar and a bucket cooler. Or not, à spray of water and a wet keffiyeh will get you most of the way there, plus you can bring these to the hammock hang out.
-Don't bring a flimsy 'easy up' shade tent that will crumple immediately. Bring pretty much anything else, or not, just a simple unshaded tent can work fine.
-Don't bring a cooler. Seriously, bring one next time if you really miss it but try going without first. Otherwise enjoy the wonderful world of not spending every damn morning babysitting your ice, and melt water, and cooler full of gross soupy chicken salad.
-Don't bring anyone or anything that needs a lot of attention. Bring your ex-girlfriend if you are on good terms, mine was a lot easier to burn with after we'd broken up.
-Don't bring an impact driver or even worse, a 'cordless' drill to install 5 lag bolts. Bring a wrench or, ratchet and an extra 8 minutes that you would have spent looking for your 'cordless' charger and an electrical outlet. Ask me how I know.
-Don't bring rebar.
-Don't bring clothes that aren't warm enough for a really cold night. Ask me how I know.
-Don't bring so many creature comforts that you spend more time dealing with them than actually experiencing the burn.
-Don't bring too much vodka and whiskey and not enough mixer. Bring plenty of electrolyte drinks, sodium, potassium, and a bit of sugar so your body will absorb them.
-Don't bring a watermelon unless you are committed to eating it in the first couple of days, before it rots.
-Don't bring feathers, glitter, sequins. People will scorn you for many reasons.
-Don't bring spiked heels unless you really know what you're doing.
-Don't bring a car that will break down on the way there and again on the way home. Ask me how I know.
-Don't bring a bunch of pine needles in your tent for someone else to spend two days picking up. Shake out your stuff before you arrive.
-DO BRING enough solar to run a small ice maker and enjoy cold drinks made by the hot sun. Ask me how I know.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:27 am

Don’t bring Chlorox disinfecting wipes, and absolutely do not keep them in your tent...

... cuz the one time you get lucky out there and you want to freshen up the private’s before the promise of glory ...

Bleach does funny things to your junk.

Or maybe do If thats your thing. I could be convinced ...

Kenshiro
Burning Since: 2011

Post by Kenshiro » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:03 am

Token wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:27 am
Don’t bring Chlorox disinfecting wipes, and absolutely do not keep them in your tent...

... cuz the one time you get lucky out there and you want to freshen up the private’s before the promise of glory ...

Maybe we should ask you how you know

Token

Post by Token » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:36 am

Kenshiro wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:03 am
Token wrote:

Let’s just say everything swelled...

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:09 am

Token wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:36 am
Kenshiro wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:03 am
Token wrote:

Let’s just say everything swelled...
Isn't that the whole point?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:25 am

Yes! Do bring those wipes. They also come in 'scrubby'. This is the most efficient way to wash your dishes. Then spray them with water, (letting it drip onto a towel), and you're done. No grey water.

Don't use them on your privates.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:55 am

Ratty wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:25 am
Yes! Do bring those wipes. They also come in 'scrubby'. This is the most efficient way to wash your dishes. Then spray them with water, (letting it drip onto a towel), and you're done. No grey water.

Make sure you rinse the dishes. I've been told the remaining chemicals from wipes can give you diarrhea.
BTW there is no clorox in clorox wipes it is just a brand name. If I remember right, ammonium hydroxide and ethelyne glycol
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:36 am

Much larger wipes in the incontinence section of Walmart
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:45 am

Popeye wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:55 am
Ratty wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:25 am

Make sure you rinse the dishes. I've been told the remaining chemicals from wipes can give you diarrhea.
BTW there is no clorox in clorox wipes it is just a brand name. If I remember right, ammonium hydroxide and ethelyne glycol
Our nieces washed the dishes with the wipes, but failed to rinse them. Put MyLarry in the med tent. Ugh.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:07 am

I guess you just have to pay close attention. I learned it from Savanah. I have 10 years doing it and no ill effects. There's a bigger risk of NOT sanitizing your dishes.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:10 pm

I'm not so excited about Reddit-style "[clueless] what should I do" Internet posts as thread starters.

But I like the direction this thread is evolved. I guess the heavy hand of "the man" aka health department substitutes for camp common sense. I would only add that restaurant supply stores have industrial-strength dish sanitizer concentrate or you can dilute out laundry bleach.

Playa dust is about 25% organic material like live shrimp eggs other material that is not sterile. It will be in your lungs, your nasal passages, your cuts, your digestive system, your private parts, eyes and just about everywhere. That could cause Playa medical needs. Inflammation and fever are two, but not all symptoms. Diarrhea and vomiting loose electrolytes on a very large scale, that is probably the largest cause of death worldwide. So massively increase your electrolyte intake if that's happening, and consult medical.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:55 am

It's a camping trip .. Throw everything into one pot and boil them .. Fish 'em out.. They will dry quickly .. Pour the hot water into the next pan, bring it to boil.. And so on..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:54 pm

I had to burn the sofa cushions you passed out on, on the Land Yacht. Goddammit.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”