Advice for what NOT to bring as a birgin tenter

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Corbett3000
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: Elev8

Advice for what NOT to bring as a birgin tenter

Post by Corbett3000 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:18 am

I’m a birgin, part of a camp build team pitching a tent (lots of experience in the desert/backcountry) and am trying to go light on gear. What would you NOT bring that in your experience was wasted weight/you just didn’t use that much?
==============================
Playa Names: RED/Rojo or Ceremony
==============================

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Advice for what NOT to bring as a birgin tenter

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:57 pm

My ex girlfriend.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Whatever I brought that wasn't needed for that year's conditions.

We're supposed to be self-sufficient, in all conditions. From a walk-in-the-park year, to whiteouts, heat, cold, rain or Condition Alpha, where you need to be able to hunker in place until conditions improve and its safe to get out and about or leave the playa. Or the playa is rain-soaked and no one can move. Or the road is washed out and no one can leave. Temperatures range from 34 F to 105 F. It has snowed at night. High winds, and then stupidly high winds. Rarely over 100 mph. Down bursts? All bets are off, as 150 mph will flatten a few camps.

No one knows what you'll need this year.

There are other threads on things people brought but never used. Google eplaya.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:52 pm

It is difficult to impossible to answer that question if you don't post your packing list.

Generally ePlaya is all about self sufficiency, rather than "the playa provides."

It's a camping trip you are familiar with.

Maybe it's different in a few ways. It has extremes of temperature. You need ear protection, sun protection, sunscreen and moisturizer. You will be walking 5-10 miles a day, or walking 5 and biking 15. Dust protection. Electrolytes.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”