Reno Walmarts: "Pickup not available" for items we need

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
asinglecandle
Burning Since: 2016

Reno Walmarts: "Pickup not available" for items we need

Post by asinglecandle » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:45 pm

We need a couple of twin air mattresses. They are too bulky and heavy to fly out with so we thought we'd just order them for in-store pickup at one of the Reno Walmarts. No go. "Pickup not available", with no explanation given.

I know that the Reno Walmarts go all-out for Burners and have extra stuff, but we're worried that we might not be able to get this essential item. Are we being silly worrying that they will run out? BTW, we are arriving Reno on the Friday, the 22nd.

Canoe

Re: Reno Walmarts: "Pickup not available" for items we need

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:19 pm

Walmarts in Reno tend to be a zoo at Burning Man.
Way back there was one in the south end that was quieter. Fewer 50+ guys in tutus.
So they're so busy they may be wishing to avoid trying to find someone's store pickup. I'm speculating.

If there's something essential, you can order it online and have it shipped to yourself at a UPS Store in Reno. Where you purchase may or may not charge shipping. The UPS Store charges a $5 fee for each package they receive for you.
read here on how to use this service
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101056&hilit=purcha ... e#p1187581
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

asinglecandle
Burning Since: 2016

Post by asinglecandle » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:13 am

Sorry, I mis-typed. We're arriving the Thursday evening before the event, on the 22nd.

Yea, I know the Walmarts are mobbed but they also are expecting thousands of Burners to descend upon Reno that week, all needing camping gear. Has anyone experienced them running out of a basic necessity like airbeds?

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:19 am

Yes.
And dust masks. (I saw them refill empty shelves twice while I was visting one Walmart)
And electrolyte.
Tents & bicycles.
Not water that I've heard, but if you wanted a particular brand you might have to go to several stores.

The various stores in Reno do know to stock a lot of well-selling items, but anything can sell out at anytime.

Although your chances are a lot better on that Thurday before than they are come Saturday, Sunday, etc..
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:18 pm

asinglecandle wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:45 pm
We need a couple of twin air mattresses. They are too bulky and heavy to fly out with so we thought we'd just order them for in-store pickup at one of the Reno Walmarts. No go. "Pickup not available", with no explanation given.

I know that the Reno Walmarts go all-out for Burners and have extra stuff, but we're worried that we might not be able to get this essential item. Are we being silly worrying that they will run out? BTW, we are arriving Reno on the Friday, the 22nd.
We also have Target, Scheels, Cabelas, and did you try the other Walmart’s around town?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:13 pm

Don't forget BIG5
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:13 pm

Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”