Where to set up camp if not in theme camp?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
guthriekj
Burning Since: 2017

Where to set up camp if not in theme camp?

Post by guthriekj » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:20 am

Hey everyone,

This year about 12 of us coming from a previous camp decided to do our own thing this year and build something new. Building and paying for all of the infrastructure we will need this first year was already a lot, so we decided not to overload ourselves in applying to be an official theme camp. (Next year though)

Question is, are we only allowed to camp over on the other side of L in the walk-in camping area or will there be other open spots less far away from everything where we can set up camp? I'm not exact on the dimensions of the space we need but we have 4 yurts, a 12x20 flat top shade structure, and a few other tents/shower and the like.

Thank you!

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Where to set up camp if not in theme camp?

Post by maladroit » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:25 am

Welcome to ePlaya.

The only difference between your camp and a theme camp is probably some paperwork and work access passes for early entry.

That ship has sailed, so your other option is to look for open camping within the city. The best way to do that is to get in as early as you can Sunday morning.

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:54 am

In my experience, the last few years have gotten worse for finding non-theme camp claimed land. We got in early Sun,found very little available last year, the year before wasn't as bad. This year they have given most open land to theme camps, we are left to search for a small spot here and there between them. I think next year, there will be zero open camping, I wish this wasn't that way it is going. Good luck, just the 3 of us have a hard time finding enough space, 12 people? Good luck.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

guthriekj
Burning Since: 2017

Post by guthriekj » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:22 pm

Thank you guys for the reply.

We also have some folks arriving at different times. Do you think if we just made it a plan to set up somewhere on L between 2 and 215 that it wouldn't be too hard for the people coming after the first group to be able to find us? We will get there Sunday around noon off the burner express and can stake out an area.. but shouldn't all of that area that I mentioned beyond L be pretty barren with a lot of open space?

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Everything out 2 is mostly the large sound camps infrastructure/camping. Easy to find area for BxB peeps, but you may not find any space. Hard to say, but unless you are a "placed theme camp", you are going to be begging for a center of block area. Walk in will be an option, but you will need to carry everything you need in.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”