How best to cover a tent with aluminet

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Globetratta
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: 8 Bit Bunny

How best to cover a tent with aluminet

Post by Globetratta » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:27 am

Hi there!

I'm a BM virgin super excited for my first burn.

I'm bringing a Coleman 4 person pop up cabin tent

Could anyone let me know what size aluminet would be optimal? Also, do you have any best practices on how to attach aluminet to a tent like this?

If the aluminet is too large, do you think that would be a problem?

Also, I'm considering getting an ez-up style shade structure (secured with a ton of 14in lag screws and guy lines). How big of an advantage would it be to remove it's fabric and replace it with aluminet (or place aluminet over it's fabric)?

Any help would be super appreciated.

Thank you!

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Re: How best to cover a tent with aluminet

Post by Joeln » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:04 pm

The aluminet will help more if there's some space below it for air movement. That said, it will help even if its draped right over the tent.

Too large is not huge problem, it will flap and flop and lay on the ground but everything gets dusty anyways so no big deal. Just make sure it's well secured to good stakes so it doesn't get away.

ez-up structures are notorious for getting destroyed in BM windstorms. They can become deadly projectiles. At least if you stake it down well it will simply crumple instead of fly through my windshield.

I would definitely remove the ez-up fabric - it's just way too big of a sail for the strength of the frame. Aluminet instead has potential, it catches a bit less wind than fabric. I imagine in a big blow even that would be too much for the frame and you will end up with a pretzel.

Good luck and for gods sake tie that thing down so it doesn't come my way.
Globetratta wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:27 am
Could anyone let me know what size aluminet would be optimal? Also, do you have any best practices on how to attach aluminet to a tent like this?

If the aluminet is too large, do you think that would be a problem?

Also, I'm considering getting an ez-up style shade structure (secured with a ton of 14in lag screws and guy lines). How big of an advantage would it be to remove it's fabric and replace it with aluminet (or place aluminet over it's fabric)?
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:22 pm

Aluminet is real nice for a lounge area, where you can sit in a semi-shade in the open breeze.

It will not do much to keep your tent livable.

70% Aluminet only shields 50% of the energy from the sun. So instead of 1000W/m^2 it will be 500W. Still makes the tent an oven.

Bring the pop-up and make sure it has a good thick opaque canopy.

Use your car to shade the E-SE side of your tent.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Amazon links never show for me.
Is this the same tent?
amazon.com/Coleman-2000018016-4-Person-Instant-Cabin/dp/B004E4AVY8
Which measures "Measures 8 x 7 feet with 4-foot 11-inch center height".
That's pretty big to shade from sunrise for a sleep-in.
Putting it inside a 10' x 10' structure is awkward, as the tent also needs guylines.
In addition to ensuring the tent is well secured to the playa, I would strongly suggest using two guylines per attachment point instead of the one shown. Playa can be windy.

A simple slopped tarp placed next to the tent facing SE, along with your vehicle (hopefully tall) place to its east, can shade most of the tent from shortly after sunrise until later in the morning, likely until 11 am. Providing a non-sun-baked sleep-in. The playa air still gets hot.

Beyond that, you need something large enough to shade the roof and the south side. If the tent is long, wide and/or tall, then the larger that shade maker needs to be.

If you confirm the tent & size, I can confirm the tarp size.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:57 pm

Here's what you're up against.
The low angle sun from sunrise coming in from ~due east.

Looking from the east, here's that tent roughly modelled (8x7x5). With a 10' x 10' of Aluminet at 6' over top of a 5' tent height, to maximize shadow coverage and have a clearance of one foot between the tent and the shade cloth (too close and the heat the cloth does absorb heats the tent; two feet would be better, but there's less shade coverage).
The Aluminet was directly centred over the tent, then shifted south until it shades the whole tent at solar noon. Poles for the Aluminet (not shown) clear the tent.

First column, showing the view looking west.
  • It's getting baked from shortly after sunrise (this year, 6:19 am). Showing 7 am.
  • By 9 am that cloth is finally doing some work, it's shading most of the roof of the tent, but the sun has come more south so the south wall is getting heated since 8 am.
    You've been getting baked by the sun since sunrise.
    Between 9 and 10, you're likely abandoning the tent as its cooler outside.
  • At 10 am, it's finally covered the whole of the roof, and a sliver of the east wall, and it's starting to do some work on the south wall.
    Only you're already baked.
  • By 11 (not shown), it's shading ~80% of the tent.
  • Noon (not shown), all but a sliver across the east wall.
IF you can setup west of something tall, so its early morning shadow shades your tent, hopefully until 11:30 or noon, then you've got a good sleep-in.
Your vehicle might be fairly tall.

Second column, views as marked, we're seeing a 5' tall "car" to the east of the tent, in close (but not so close you can't guyline the tent & poles).
  • First at 7 am. It's got a lot covered, but the east roof, north roof and part of the north wall are heated - but it's low-angle sun, less intense than later in the day. Not shown, something 6.5' tall or higher has it all shaded.
  • By 8 am, with the sun rising and getting in over top of the 5' car, three panels of the roof are heated, along with more of the east wall and the south wall (unseen from this angle, the front of the tent is still getting some sun). You can see where a van would have more shade, due to height and shape. You could slide the car back some, but it was positioned to protect earlier.
  • By 9 am, car isn't doing much.
  • By 10 am, it's really not contributing much, except as a wind break.
If you can get tucked in next to something that is eight feet tall or higher?
Box truck, RV, etc..
Sun.shade Aluminet 10x10 at 6 over 8x7x5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:37 pm

Now, as your tent is low enough, it becomes practical to use a 10' x 20' as a flat 'roof', a popular size on the playa for Aluminet. (90% shades better than 70%, etc.)
Six poles, to get it six feet high. TWO guylines per pole. For each anchor, I'd recommend using use large nail/spikes or lag-bolts, with the two chainlinks so you can go right to the ground (safety & strength).

You could use a tarp. Aluminet is a lot more robust. The tarp's grommets for one that size would likely need re-enforcing to survive stronger wind loads. A rare wind event or a down burst (can be 150 mph and can flatten a camp), the tarp is likely to not survive. The Aluminet has a chance.

With that tarp or shade cloth at 6' off the ground, and a 5' tall car tight on the east:
  • The early morning light will hit the top of your tent, but at low intensity. Showing 7 am.
    A taller vehicle would shade more of that.
  • By 7:15 am (not shown), there's only a touch on the SE roof corner and along bits of the roof.
  • At 7:30 am (not shown), those touchs of sun are smaller.
    With the shape of many an SUV or a van, the SE touches of sun would not be there.
  • By 8:15 am, between the 10x20' and the car, your tent is fully shaded.
  • It remains shaded until 1:45 pm, when the sun starts creeping up the west wall, and soon after the south wall.
If you wanted shade through the afternoon, you'd need to add another shade cloth to the west.
Sun.shade Aluminet 10x20 at 6 over 8x7x5, NOT centered.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”