Supplier was a let down. Source of EMT fittings for shade structure in Reno.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
jtfarks
Burning Since: 2017

Supplier was a let down. Source of EMT fittings for shade structure in Reno.

Post by jtfarks » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:17 am

UK based burner here!

Flying in on Friday and so had ordered supplies for our shade structure from an online store. The plan was to build a flat roof 20x20 structure with 1" EMT, spread a silver tarp over the top, and have shade cloth sides. I'm sure you've seen this sort of set up. Given i'm not based in the country I had to time the delivery fairly close else my hotel wouldn't accept the package.

Well, as is to be expected when things are this tight, the supplier has completely let me down and are now unable to deliver for the dates I needed.

I'm pretty sure I can get all the parts I need from hardware/home depot type places when i'm there, but the real killer is the connectors for the EMT conduit. The corner/side/centre 'joints'. Has anyone had experience picking this up locally in Reno? I could possibly make SF work if I change around hotels and things.

Finally is there another alternative to using these? Some sort of funky lashing?

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Supplier was a let down. Source of EMT fittings for shade structure in Reno.

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:42 am

Use 1" minimum pipe.

With enough ratchet tiedowns, you can use 2x3 or 2x4 lumber.

Outbound:
Starting Sunday, Burners Without Borders will have recycling stations set up near 3, 6, and 9 on the Esplanade. They expect to be open from 10am-9pm, both Sunday and Monday. There you can drop off your usable lumber (full size pieces of 2 x 4, 4 x 4, and plywood only, please; no scraps), as well as certain building materials (pipes, conduit, wiring, tools, and other re-useful non-liquid hardware items).
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Canoe

Re: Supplier was a let down. Source of EMT fittings for shade structure in Reno.

Post by Canoe » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:01 am

jtfarks wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:17 am
... Given i'm not based in the country I had to time the delivery fairly close else my hotel wouldn't accept the package...
You can also purchase things online from the States and have them shipped to you at a UPS Store. $5 a package to pickup, but you can order in advance and see the tracking to know they are there waiting for you.

Your Name
10580 NORTH MCCARRAN BLVD, STE 115
RENO, NV 89503
(775) 746-3988
Canoe wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:29 am
ship to a "UPS Store"
Typically they charge $5 a package to pickup.
You Do Not need to subscribe to any service nor sign up for a mail box. See the first link below.
(this is not USPS)
There are UPS Stores all over the States.

See both of these posts:
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=68216&p=994311#p994311
viewtopic.php?f=286&t=72894&p=1056286#p1056286

Shipping to Reno, I prefer the North-West store, 10580 N MCCARRAN BLVD (Canyon Shopping Center, N McCarran Blvd and Mae Anne Ave).
https://locations.theupsstore.com/nv/re ... arran-blvd

Do check online to ensure a UPS Store you intend to use is still listed or hasn't moved.
Do note the days & hours they are open, so you know when you can pickup your packages on your way to the playa.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Post by Zubeneschamali » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:52 pm

In Reno - a couple of years ago it was Twin Cities. https://www.yelp.com/biz/twin-city-surplus-reno I haven't been in a couple of years, but what I heard is they let their Burner inventory go to shit.

In the SF area is South Bay Canopy. https://www.yelp.com/biz/south-bay-canopy-san-jose . They are local to me and I dropped by the first time a couple weeks ago. Burner friendly, huge inventory, and most of their sales are shipped out.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”