Playa safe Carbon Monoxide/Smoke Detector

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
SxyLibryn
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: French Maid Brigade

Playa safe Carbon Monoxide/Smoke Detector

Post by SxyLibryn » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:02 am

With the recent death at the 2019 burn, I am reviewing the status of my smoke/co detectors. One of the things I have noticed is that the playa dust destroys CO/Smoke detectors. Has anyone found a dust proof/playa tested CO/Smoke detector that works off of battery? I think this is an important topic and one that we should collaborate on.

Thank you

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Playa safe Carbon Monoxide/Smoke Detector

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:00 pm

You might reach out to Particle Camp from a few years ago. They are researchers at LBL. They would be in the best position to research how playa dust relates to sensor technologies. A little search should find them.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:08 pm

I heard about this death too, not many details. Does anyone know what really happened?
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:54 am

Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:08 pm

Without knowing a lot more details about that incident's source of CO, we're kinda in the dark.

The RV/camper world seems to be concerned about not enough O2, which is 'detected'/indicated by too much CO2.
I'd think the first step for detection would be to have independent detectors, so a failure in one sensor has no way to interfere with another sensor.

To prevent dust contamination of sensors, one could have strict protocols about bringing playa footwear into sleeping space, same for playa clothes. There will always be cracks of some sort, so a positive pressure inside the shelter will have shelter air leaking to the outside, instead of dusty air from outside leaking in. Have a filtered fan blowing in or a swamp-cooler blowing in. That will also dilute any CO and provide fresh O2. A big blow can overpower such interior pressures/flows and push some dust inside.

Wikipedia has write-ups on fire/smoke detection, and detectors & sensors for O2, CO and CO2.

Here's one way of monitoring
https://hackaday.com/2019/09/03/building-a-full-fat-air-quality-monitor/
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”