Solo Monkey Hut

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Jeannie Ginx
Burning Since: 2021

Solo Monkey Hut

Post by Jeannie Ginx » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:54 pm

Has anyone ever attempted to erect a monkey hut by their lonesome?

I might do my first burn as a solo. Want my hut to be about 6 feet tall for guests. I'm 5'3". thinking a step ladder is a must.

Love
J

PS will attempt it by myself in my yard first.
Normal is boring. Don't be boring.
Love

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Re: Solo Monkey Hut

Post by sadie » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:52 pm

Yes. A monkey hut can be put up solo. I am relatively short and pushing 60 but with some determination and a step ladder its not that difficult.
Practice at home is a good plan. The first time I set mine up I flung a piece of pvc into my neighbors yard😁...so keep a good grip when you bow the ribs..!
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

lucky420
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:32 am

Yep, I usually build mine by myself.
If you need a hand, most anybody near you will be happy to help, just ask

:coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Jeannie Ginx

Post by Jeannie Ginx » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:26 pm

youre all awesome
Love

ken
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by ken » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:42 pm

lucky is right. if you can bring it, someone will help you build it.
You should prepare for burning man as if no one else was gonna show up~Captain Goddammit

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:32 am

Jeannie Ginx wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:54 pm
Has anyone ever attempted to erect a monkey hut by their lonesome?

I might do my first burn as a solo. Want my hut to be about 6 feet tall for guests. I'm 5'3". thinking a step ladder is a must.

Love
J

PS will attempt it by myself in my yard first.
It's possible; I've seen an average size female ePlayan who did so alone and reported back. (Gah! She's cool, and her name starts with an M! . . . I'll try to find her story). It's not easy-peasy, but it's completely possible, and it's a great shade.

When you pick the tent that goes under it, remember that a buffer of several inches between the center top of your tent and the center height of your monkey hut is good for cooling, and to prevent rubbing during windstorms. Monkey huts lean several inches during windstorms.

Foldable stepladders are not a must, but are good idea; just a little one that gets you 2 or 3 steps taller will do.

Putting it together in your yard is a spectacular idea (yay!) . . . so that 1) you know what you're in for, and 2) have a firm understanding of the measuring, time investment, and whatnot. Bring a friend and a stereo. :)

My campmate and I (two average-height girlies) managed it without a stepladder in 90 minutes. Maybe less. Most of that time was spent pounding rebar for the structure (6) and the guy lines (8). I'm strong, but I found out years later that--counter-intuitively--lighter sledgehammers are actually easier for me to wield. More frequent but easier strikes.

Wear good leather work gloves. (Terrible finger lacerations on rebar are common.)

Measuring distances and pounding rebar can be done alone. If you get stuck, ask for help, but otherwise, call in the troops for fast but intricate things like 1) connecting tall PVC pipe in the center, and 2) pulling the tarp over the top and holding it so you can do some quick temporary staking (so you can subsequently stake more heavily at your leisure).

Basically . . . do as much as you can by yourself, drink Gatorade and have snacks the whole time, and ask for help when the going gets tricky. Then share your snacks. ;)

P.S. Vice grips & sledgehammers are among the tools used to get the rebar back out. I don't have good luck with vice grips honestly, but you can knock rebar sideways with a sledge pretty easily if it's 12"+ in the earth and 12" out.

For 10" Coleman tent stakes, a 32" wrecking bar is like butter.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Jeannie Ginx

Post by Jeannie Ginx » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:10 am

thanks for the info Savannah!
Love

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”