Costing and water

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
invader zim

Costing and water

Post by invader zim » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:32 pm

So aside from the flights, tickets and car rental, can any of you nice peeps mind telling me how much this shin dig is going to cost? Like, food and water etc?

Also I'm planning to go with four other friends which works out to about 300 litres of water between us for 7 day any one brought this amount of water before or any tips on getting water there. Do the local places sell large amounts of water?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:52 pm

Search back through the threads, you're just the first one to ask this year:

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... highlight=

That's a start, now, is this just drinking water, are you cooking? Showering? That'll make a difference.

As for food cost, well, that really varies. Are you going to be eating granola bars or steak or vegan? (find the food threads!)

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=8449

Don't forget to factor in neccessities such as sunblock and lip balm. Go over the survival guide and make a list (there's list threads too btw), see what you already have and what you can purchase early and stockpile.

We "nickel and dime" supplies all year, so I don't have a concrete total handy. We also go to three events so always have water and pantry food on hand. Food and drink? $100 per person on the low end? And that's for basic granola bars, poptarts, jerky, tuna, couscous, dried fruit, crackers, and frozen treats for breakfast, plus salty snacks, nuts, noodles, teas and energy drinks. Booze is another budget entirely!

HughMungus

Re: Costing and water

Post by HughMungus » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:02 pm

invader zim wrote:So aside from the flights, tickets and car rental, can any of you nice peeps mind telling me how much this shin dig is going to cost? Like, food and water etc?

Also I'm planning to go with four other friends which works out to about 300 litres of water between us for 7 day any one brought this amount of water before or any tips on getting water there. Do the local places sell large amounts of water?
You can get water in Reno on the way up there in 1- and 5-gallon containers just about anywhere (the 24-hour super wal-mart in Reno is great for one-stop shopping before hitting the playa). A bit of advice: wait until you get to Reno to buy your expendables. Food and (especially) water take up a lot of space and water is heavy. No sense driving it up from wherever you're flying into. Another bit of advice: when you get your food de-package it at the store -- remove any un-necessary packaging so you can throw it away at the store instead of having to store it as trash and pack it out as trash; it adds up.
It's what you make it.

phil

Post by phil » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:40 pm

See our page at
http://www.cieux.com/bm/things.html
for things to bring, then visit the list of links at the bottom for what other people suggest.

I realize your query is about budgeting, and many people will suggest things to bring. If this is your first time, I suggest skipping gifts and much of the BM-related trinkets. You'll be blown away by what's going on, then you'll have more realistic ideas for your second year. It's very hard to have any understanding of what you'll really really need at the Burn for your first trip. See those lists, then winnow out the stuff that's fluff and key in on the necessities of survival, then if budget allows, add fun stuff back in.

I suggest in addition to water that you bring canned fruit and vegetable juices (the total of water and juices can add up to the required minimum, just be sure you have water for cooking and bathing (if you bathe)).

I don't recommend running short, but generally you can rely on the kindness of strangers at the Burn, so there's some leeway for forgetting stuff or running out. If there are women in your group, I do recommend bringing extra sanitary napkins and the like. Extra, extra. For some reason, menstruation is more frequent and more, uh, more for some women.

Discosybil

Post by Discosybil » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:26 pm

I have an extra 3 man dome tent I can give you. My kids have moved and I was going to donate it to a cause. It says 3 man but it's probably more comfortable for 2. After you use it, you can decide what you want to do with it, take it home or toss. With the playa dust on the zipper I don't know how it will be the following year.

If interested, just say and I'll drop it off when you pick up your rental.

Desert Duck
Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

Necessities and niceties.

Post by Desert Duck » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:48 pm

Also, for beverages- Glass is bad. It can break, and cut bare feetsies, then you'll also have to pick it up. Aluminum is WONDERFUL, cuz you can crush and drop off at Recycle Camp(the only thing you can leave at Black Rock). You can get beer, sodas, and juices in aluminum cans, this'll also reduce the likelihood of having a big bottle of juice get opened then not finished. Remember, you will lose some of your appetite in the desert heat, and once something gets a little nasty the likelihood of it getting finished drops to zero.
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”