Vinyl Glue for Dome Covers?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Lysergic

Vinyl Glue for Dome Covers?

Post by Lysergic » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:51 pm

Thinking about setting using vinyl for a dome cover this year but I don't know what would be the best way to seal it. Does anyone have any suggestions, sew, glue....duct tape? What kind of glues? Brand names?

Thanks!
Doubt everything. Find your own light.
--Last words of Gotama Buddha

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:04 pm

What kind of vinyl? I have instructions for heat sealing billboard vinyl. I posted about it in the other dome thread. PM me your email and I'll pass them your way.
Participate! - )'( -

http://regionalchaos.net

Tiara

Post by Tiara » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:41 pm

I made a yertle (like a yurt, but octagonal and homemade) cover out of billboard vinyl last year. I used Barge Cement for the seams. Then I taped all the edges with duct tape. I installed grommets on the lower corners to tie the cover to the structure frame with lengths of small diameter rope.

Tiara

Post by Tiara » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:46 pm

Another thing I forgot to add: I coated the areas of each piece that would overlap after glueing with Barge Cement, allowed it to dry so that it was "tacky" per instructions, then re-coated one piece and pressed them together.

It has unstoppable sheer strength. And with the edged taped down, there's no danger of a loose edge catching on something to peel the seams apart. The seams are also waterproof.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”