Dome Virgin - Shade vs rainproof ?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Schwa

Dome Virgin - Shade vs rainproof ?

Post by Schwa » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:21 pm

I put together an 18' 3v dome now need the covering.
The threads here are stupid helpful, i just wanted some feedback on shade vs rainproof. I'm haunted by 2000, makes me want to go all out, but right now i'm leaning toward shade (tarp/aluminet/shadecloth/sheets).

Dome use = kitchen/bar/conforming 300watt sound system
Endless thanks and love for feedback.

Tiara

Post by Tiara » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:23 pm

I think the big question is whether you will have things in your dome that would be permanently damaged by getting wet if it rains. If so, then you probably want to make sure the cover is water proof, just in case a storm rolls in while you're on the other side of Black Rock City. If not, then shade is probably all you need as long as you've got a waterproof place to store your clothes and bedding.

Schwa

Post by Schwa » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:27 pm

I will have waterproof storage and sleeping areas.

Dork

Post by Dork » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:55 pm

Go for shade because heat and sunlight WILL be a problem. Rain heavy enough to make things miserable is possible but not necessarily likely. I'd take a little extra airflow even if it means also letting some water in.

If you have any specific spots you want to keep dry, like a kitchen table, suspend a small tarp over that section.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:36 pm

Rainproof = hotter
Rainproof with ventilation = construction difficult, more cost
Rainproof = covering more likely to become a sail. Fix would be lots of rebar candy canes and strong struts.
Rainproof = covering must be heavy, not 4 mil tarps.
Rainproof = how would seams be leakproofed?

Shade = lighter
Shade = if it rains cats and dogs, we all just have to wait for it to be over and wait some more for the playa to become solid again.

Personally, when my bike can go 3 feet before the mud cakes on the tires and stops it, or my shoes weight fifteen pounds apiece, I don't want to go anywhere.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:00 pm

Call me confused, but I tend to design the structure to fit the cover, not the other way around.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

MayorOfFrance

Post by MayorOfFrance » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:52 pm

We're (Spacecock) going "shade" as opposed to rain-proof, and we will be using the Tyvec Arctic Camo route. Upon cutting the 16x16 squares in the best shapes, we'll be grommet punching the sections together and lashing them to our dome and tunnel.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:58 pm

Shade, and make a rain fly in case the weather turns crappy.

Those blue tarps are cheap, you can assemble them, and if it's raining, the wind won't be as ferocious. Maybe. Then if the rain stops, take the tarp off and go back to shade (and dry-out) mode.

bb

Post by Karma » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:24 am

I agree with BBS, plus instead of the Blue Tarps, they make em in silver reflector also. They're usually right next to each other at the hardware store.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh".

Voltaire

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”