RV black/grey water service?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
happy

RV black/grey water service?

Post by happy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:34 pm

First timer and RV'er. I haven't been able to find many details on this RV service? Can another RV'er give me some heads up on that? Any gotchas on using this grey/black water take away? I'm also trying to figure out how heavy or light I can roll, rig is setup to carry 180 gallons of water if I have to, enough for me and to share, but normally like to run lighter than that if possible, like if there is a fresh water top off as well as gray/sewage take away service. Kind of hesitant to ask b/c I sense some anti RV vibe, but it's my house, I can either bring my house, or not go : )

thanks!

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:49 am

Happy. I'm off to work, but check this site out..

http://burningrv.tribe.net/?_click_path ... f98daf4%5D
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

safetythird

Post by safetythird » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:10 am

Don't sweat the RV haters. I think you'll find the people actually on the playa are a bit more open minded and could really care less what you camp in.

The JOTS guys will pump your tanks for a small fee. Search the BM site. They will also refill with non potable water. Make sure there is a 30' clear path to your valves from the street.

Since you can haul 180 gallons (wow, big tank) it's entirely possible that you won't need their services. I've brought my RV the past two years and filled up the fresh water tank in Reno and then dumped in Reno on the way out. Being careful about your water is the key. We don't use the RV toilet until the end of the week except for midnight leaks. Our camp had community showers with an evap pond so there was less grey water to deal with. When the grey water tank started filling up we started pouring dishwater/etc down the toilet since the blackwater tank always had more room. Plus it helps balance the rig a little. GW on pass side BW on driv side.

There's tons of other helpful "RV tips" on this board. Use the search feature and you'll be rewarded.

S3

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:43 am

We have always had ours pumped out by Jots. You must look for a truck marked RV disposal and flag them down. The sign ups are no more this year. I talked to JOTS last week. They said their hoses are 20' long, but I also remember 30' in the past.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:07 am

Thats one huge tank! Safety Third is right. But don't look to obtain new fresh water too easily. We tried for 2 days to get filled last year and it didn't happen. Getting pumped out is pretty easy.
The non-potable shouldn't go in your RV
Putting together a evap area under your RV made out of PVC and black landscaping plastic works well...careful though as some frown upon this as they think you will let it spill on the playa. Someone actually took a dump on my friends last year, don't know if it was a wasted idiot or silent protest.
I would fill in Reno as that much weight is really going to lower your fuel effieciency. I take a little water with me but then fill in Reno at a friends house.
Don't sweat the people hating RV dwellers. They don't understand that for some of us it is our home...and we have also earned the right to burn in comfort if that is our thing. Just be respectful of others and the Playa as you normally would.
Have fun!

Ron

Post by Ron » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:15 am

Yeah the RV haters are funny. They tend to go from bitching and moaning to borrowing and abusing as they discover your RV is a safe place to lock up their valuables, store their heat sensitive things, take a shower, cook a meal, use the bathroom, and so on. I've got a sign on my door that says, "Ass, grass, or cash, no one sleeps, showers, stores, or shits for free," as a result of the constant mooching that follows the griping. :)

Now having said all that I've learned over the years *not* to plan on using the JOTS trucks for grey or black water removal. They may or may not do so, and they may or may not demand an amazing bribe to do so. In 2004 they told me that they had been forbidden by the ORG to service individual RVs (a line that was supported by the folk at the info tent) and so could only do it for extra cash. Like $200, as memory serves. One of our neighbors was a very rich camp, with paid support staff, and they paid the bribe for the entire block. Very nice of them, but not something I would have done. Bribes suck, IMHO.

So be prepared to be self-reliant. If you can take care of all your water needs yourself, do so. If a JOTS truck makes things easy, take advantage. But I would not plan on being able to use them as you may or may not be.

Ron

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:28 am

The "bribe" situation has been addressed by the management at JOTS. It should be a bunch easier to deal with the drivers this year. Under 30' should be $45 to pump it out and $60 over 30'. This is not to say that a little something "extra", like beer, for good service would not be appreciated by the hard working drivers.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:28 am

Ron is right. I've had to pay off some additional money as well and have heard the line about trucks being for center camp only.

Try to use the porta potties as much as possible. They get a little tough later in the week as things pile up.
We had one girl a couple of years back that just was a pooping machine. She would just help herself to the use of my rig and drop off some goods. Sharing is what Burning Man is part of but be careful of people who do not understand that your water source is limited. I have a valve I can turn that will lower the water flow. Funny how people do not get it sometimes.
I had a buddy come out of his rented RV last year talking about how he just enjoyed a long hot shower after the night of partying. He was followed by his wife shortly after in a towel asking if anyone knew what happened to all of the water...lol. Their Playa names became "Wish" and "Wash"

adept

Post by adept » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:16 pm

[quote="safetythird"]
The JOTS guys will pump your tanks for a small fee. Search the BM site. They will also refill with non potable water. Make sure there is a 30' clear path to your valves from the street.
[/quote]

Hi there... I have a 55gal drum I'll be carrying in empty. Where is the best place to find these JOTS trucks selling non-potable water? My swamp cooler thirsts.

EDIT:

from the burningman site, as you suggested!

"You are welcome to bring a recreational vehicle. Be aware, however, that there is no dumping station on-site, and you will not be allowed to dump on the playa-the BLM does issue citations for the dumping of gray or black water. RV servicing will be available for a $45 fee for trailers up to 24' in length and $55 for one gray and one black tank for RVs that are 25'-35' in length. Each additional tank is $25. Sign up for the service at the vendor's booth at Playa Information, between the hours of 11 AM and 1 PM daily. If you see a truck, you can flag them down for service, but signing up at PI is strongly recommended. Keep a space clear for the truck to access your RV; pump hoses cannot reach beyond 30 feet. On-playa pumping services include removal of gray and black water, and re-charging of non-potable water only to allow the toilet to flush. You can have your potable water tank recharged for a fee of $40."

$40 huh... might be worth it if I brought a second empty drum.

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:58 pm

Keep in mind that there is some truth to most of the follow-up posts. However, do NOT assume that the service you seek will be available. That's not to say that it won't but it would be a good idea to have a plan 'B' such as using the JOTS cabins like most other folk.[/quote]
Desert dogs drink deep.

Tiara

Post by Tiara » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:47 pm

I was at the final policy announcement meeting at the BM office in San Francisco the first weekend of August. This is the official word: There will be no sign ups at the Info booth, nor will there be a vendor sign-up booth or station. The only way to get serviced is to see a truck and flag it down.

Also, the stated fees should be what you are charged. If one of the subcontractor/vendor companies tries to charge "bribes", report it to Community Services or the Info booth.

happy

Wow!

Post by happy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:50 pm

Excellent info all!! Thank you so much!

Also since some interest in the RV tank size was mentioned, I do this by adding two 60 gallon aquatank II's. This was the result of trying to figure out how to have extra tanks that took up very little space (shoebox sized) and could be filled to add 120 gallons to the RV's stock 40 gallon tank. The thought was, this and some inline filters could be used to increase the water capacity when water was available using some hoses and a shurflo 2088 tied to a 12 amp hour battery, (there's water, get get get ---> go!) I managed to get seriously hit by three hurricanes in 13 months and this is part of some disaster planning and lifestyle changes that resulted from that. This works out to only about 700lbs over the offical overweight rating of the truck. This is truck camper by the way, aka "slide in" "cabover camper" "camper" depending on what region of the country your from. Or if your from the south east "thing you have never seen before that might be an RV of some sort but aren't sure"

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”