extended stay at burning man?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
hammyrandom

extended stay at burning man?

Post by hammyrandom » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:00 am

2007 will be my first burning man experience, and i had a question about the time dedicated to the event.

ive read (on and off the site) and heard from many burners of their adventure to burning man and how they were at burning man for longer than just the 8 days of the event.

im not sure if this applies to before, during and after. or just during and after or what.

heres the question: is it uncommon/allowed for burners to stay for time other than just the 8 days.

i can imagine why it wouldnt be before, but what about afterwards?
<b>Hammy Random</b>

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:31 am

in order to go out early, you must be with a pre-approved theme camp, and one of the construction crew. Or you could volunteer for DPW,Recycle camp,Jots,emergency services,gate greeter,etc...set up, tear down and clean up. Or if you have HUGE art installation that you need major extra time to build, also must be approved.
They pretty much like everyone OUT no later then Tuesday night.
A couple of people from our camp including myself were out for 12 days.
Very nice! was hard to come out...
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:02 am

According to our rangers, the prefered time for participants to leave is before monday midnight.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:10 am

If you do choose to volenteer with DPW, be advised that they need the commitment early--January or the spring maybe (correct me DPW folks) not on August 15.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

hammyrandom

Post by hammyrandom » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:55 am

thanks for all the advice!

so pretty much, i need to volenteer if id like some more time

i think a helping hand is a small exchange for some extra time on the playa
<b>Hammy Random</b>

StevenGoodman

Post by StevenGoodman » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:57 pm

You can also go spend time in other parts of the Black Rock desert. The playa is 50 miles long. Go drive 20 miles north up the playa from 12 Mile and camp out for a few days.

But there is no infrastructure out there, so plan ahead.
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill

Dork

Post by Dork » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:03 pm

You could also use one traditional means for extending the Burning Man experience - undertake an unreasonably large project. It might only extend the actual black rock stay by a couple of days for setup, but it could consume your life for months beforehand as you try to finish it in time.

hammyrandom

Post by hammyrandom » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:13 pm

i had considered this, but in all honesty, im not sure thats the way to go for my first time

as is, the cost of the trip, as well as investing in building the dome i plan ot be living in and other costs (gas, food, etc) is going to be just barely atainable in time. im only 18 so i dont quite have a ton of money to pump into said project, as well as bringing it down and what not.

id like my first time to capture the experience, gauge what it is, see how id fit in all of it.

i have thoughts of projects, but large or small, id like to wait till i have a little experience under the belt.

i dont wanna load to much onto my plate.

[[im more of a writer anyways :)]]
<b>Hammy Random</b>

we0ne

Post by we0ne » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:36 pm

Than write some short stories/poems and had them ouit to people. That won't cost you a thing.

Cheers
" Isn't it wonderful that no one need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world" Anne Frank

hammyrandom

Post by hammyrandom » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:11 pm

well geez, ruin the surprise

i have a compilation of works to date called "thoughts of a troubled mind"

most of these works were composed through my angsty teen years, hence the title. i was planning on bringing down alot of copies to hand out

im currently working on my next compilation titled "thoughts of a wandering mind"

ive found a trend in these works to be more developmental, spiritual and transcendental, the focus bein gon my maturation and exposure to the world

it may or may not be done by the time burning man arrives. these things have a way of finishing when they want
<b>Hammy Random</b>

falk

Post by falk » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:11 pm

Fankly, if this will be your first time, you probably don't want to plan to spend too much time out there. Even the 8 days of the actual festival may be too much. Words can never describe Burning Man adequately, and that includes the harshness of the environment. The dust, the sun, and the dehydration are like nothing you've ever experienced before. I've known virgins to stay the whole week and come out smiling and I've known virgins to be hostpitalized after two days. IMHO, 4 or 5 days is the ideal exposure for a first-timer.

hammyrandom

Post by hammyrandom » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:03 pm

i grew up in arizona, and my dad lives in southern california

ive done my fair share of desert camping for decent chunks of time
<b>Hammy Random</b>

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:29 pm

See HammyR, that's the trick. A desert is one thing and the playa another animal entirely. You'll see.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:34 pm

Go ahead.
I was there two weeks this year and it wasn't enough.
Obviously, pace yourself.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:02 pm

hammyrandom wrote:i had considered this, but in all honesty, im not sure thats the way to go for my first time
id like my first time to capture the experience, gauge what it is, see how id fit in all of it.

i have thoughts of projects, but large or small, id like to wait till i have a little experience under the belt.

i dont wanna load to much onto my plate.
I think you are doing everything right. Enjoy your first year, with an open mind, and NO expectation..... It makes the 1st experience your own, and sooo much better.
After that, you can consider any major gifting back.... and if it affects you like the rest of us, you will.... :lol:
your pre-preparation for the harshness of the environment, is all you should be focusing on the first year, and I wouldn't think about staying longer than the 8days the first year........
All that will come, if it is to be.... just enjoy this one..... Just my 2cents........ :D
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:57 pm

The last three years have been ideal for camping on the playa.. There may be trouble with that.. The new people from the last couple of years are thinking hogwash to our warnings.. When we know the playa can catch you off guard in a heart beat..I didn't notice life flight taking off this year as I have in the past.. The heat didn't make it into the 90s this year.. I did not see that many young people carring water.. After a couple of good years, How do you warn other of the dangers?

trae

Post by trae » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:31 pm

drunk/i am surprised no one has said: taking BRC into your daily life makes it non-stop all year round.

honestly, thats the biggest thing i have seen in burningman, not the explosions, or the raves, or the drugs, or even the week of the man burning,; but bringing that back into your life. make what you find atr black rock city part of your life and you will experiecnce it every day for the rest of your life.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:35 am

Oh Trae!
you said it so well!

And it was actaully a year for heat record breaking...I think it was thur or friday that it hit 105 degree's on that lil piece of playa1 Most of us didnt notice as it was towrd end of the week and we all had become kinda acclimated.
But I too, like a dumb ass, (live in reno) got seriously dehydrated! I think I forgot to drink water on Sat. or at least didnt fill my quota, and I unfortunately got ruffied at the man burn! So Sunday I went down! and hard...very close to having to go to Med tent! thank god for my supportive co-camp mates...who rehydrated me, and took care of all the de-construction I was suppose to be helping with!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

Tiara

Re: extended stay at burning man?

Post by Tiara » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:00 pm

hammyrandom wrote:ive . . . heard from many burners of their adventure to burning man and how they were at burning man for longer than just the 8 days of the event.
Please keep in mind that the event only lasts 8 days. Before and after that, the piece of playa we call Black Rock City is home to a small group of hard working volunteers. The large scale sound camps and the art installations and the thousands of people that make Burning Man what it is magically appear and disappear outside of those 8 days.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:45 pm

Tiara brought up a point that many people seem to forget about and Robbidobbs reminded me of this year. There are people still out there cleaning up the playa 2 months later....without their efforts there wouldn't be an event.

I remember in the past some people got together and sent the DPW and the remaining volunteers some care packages....I'm not good at organizing that sort of thing but I'll throw the idea out to the board so if anyone wants to do something special for them perhaps the idea can get rolling.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Tiara

Post by Tiara » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:45 pm

Fall inspection is over. The clean-up crew came back before Decom last weekend.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”