Quonset shelters?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:55 am

A circular frame wouldn't be hard to set up given the flexible nature of PVC, but the covering could be a beast to have such a clean, neat appearance.

But a bundt cake shelter is definitely food for thought..Image

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:53 am

Bundt covering? Piece of cake! To cover without having to either make lots of hems OR break the bank, use a lot of smaller tarps like the kind of long rectangular ones designed to cover woodpiles. The key is in overlapping 'em. Using a lot of smalls also prevents Big Tarp Becomes Sail Syndrome.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:31 am

Different colored tarps to simulate different layers of frosting on the cake?

Cake camp?

Fex

Post by Fex » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:59 am

CapSmashy wrote:
Cake camp?
Mmmm.... Cake Camp! Maybe Chai Guy or EspressoDude could set up there too...
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music. - GC

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:05 am

Dammit....now I am intrigued as to how well a Colman camp stove will cook a cake.

Or a solar oven.

I already make a mean cast iron dutch oven cobbler, but a cake...that would be a fun task.

Fex

Post by Fex » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:08 pm

According to the solar cooking sites I looked at, it's a piece of cake, so to speak, to bake bread and cakes in a solar oven. So long as you have a black pot & lid that arent too huge. I know a guy who made a cake on his dashboard a cpl summers ago (won a bet!) so I imagine it'd be even easier to do in an oven made for the purpose.

Dessert party at Smashy's everybody!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:25 pm

What are you going to do with the PVC when you're done? Throw it away? Burn it? Best think about such things.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:18 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:What are you going to do with the PVC when you're done? Throw it away? Burn it? Best think about such things.
GREAT POINT UD!! This is why I spent the extra money and used aluminum to have a dome that would last a long time. After selling my dome I have decided to make the next out of stainless to last even longer! I may make a quonset type thing for the front but will probably try to use sections of the same round bar bent beforehand in smaller sections and assembled with sleeves on playa. After reading this thread the concept is good for shade but I don't agree with PVC use much. BAD BAD thing PVC is. When burning it releases chlorine gas.. very bad indeed. I can't believe some folks get away with burning PVC at the event and poisoning the community but it does happen a few times.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:42 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:58 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:What are you going to do with the PVC when you're done? Throw it away? Burn it? Best think about such things.
For me, it would either be stored for use next year's BM and/or regional events, recycled into plumbing use in the garden, made into interesting and annoying wind blown clangy things, etc.

It would not be thrown out and certainly not be burned.

Rocket75377

Post by Rocket75377 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:41 pm

There are children in China who would love to have that PVC.
I am the people your parents warned you about.

"How would Horatio Alger have handled this?"

axolotl

Post by axolotl » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:54 pm

:idea:

Like? A 300 ft. bonnngggg, maaaaaaan.

Woah.

axolotl

Thanks...

Post by axolotl » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:01 pm

That looks a lot better than what I was thinking of making.
And the zig-zag ribs hadn't occured to me, but it would probably be stronger that way.

I thought of solving the inflexible tarp problem by hooking the corners of each sheet to the ribs, then driving an eyelet into the ground in the very middle and running a rope to the center grommets of each sheet, then back to the middle, then to the next sheet... finally pull the whole thing tight and the middle would go into a star shape.

Unfortunately, this would probably lead to the structure quickly taking on the nickname "The Sphincterdome..."

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:43 pm

One word:

Spandex.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:34 am

I've been experimenting with weaving hammocks and chairs, and have discovered many uses for PVC in these. (Important to file or sand the sharp edges!) A handsaw packs ultraflat and is quite useful for chopping down long PVC tubes after use as shade structure components. Cut over a tarp, out of the wind, to avoid plasti-MOOP.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:23 pm

I use the kind pipe cutter that cuts with a disk by tightening it as you run it arround the pipe. No saw shavings and if you do the process with out tightening the cutter too much at one time there is no ridge. My first year I did the saw routine over a bucket on a tarp and still mooped for over an hour in that one spot. It was a bit breesy at the time.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Fex

Post by Fex » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:35 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:I use the kind pipe cutter that cuts with a disk by tightening it as you run it arround the pipe. No saw shavings and if you do the process with out tightening the cutter too much at one time there is no ridge. My first year I did the saw routine over a bucket on a tarp and still mooped for over an hour in that one spot. It was a bit breesy at the time.
Word.
I second the vote on the tubing cutter. No length loss, no moop, smooth edge, and a perfect 90-degree cut (which is hard to get without a mitre box and clamp). I've also got one of the hand-ratchet PVC pipe cutting shears, which cut nice and clean (and is quicker), but the end isn't as nicely square, which makes a difference if you're using fittings.

galaxybeing
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Opulent Temple

some quanset hut plans

Post by galaxybeing » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:31 pm

Hoolie
Burning Since: 2000

Post by Hoolie » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:19 pm

??

I made a shade structure with a PVC frame. It's about to spend its third year on the playa and it's just as sturdy as when I first made it. Even if I stopped going to Burning Man, I'm sure I could give it to someone else to use, or even reuse it for another project. For example,

http://www.pvcplans.com/pvc-pipe.htm

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”