burn virgin w/ an RV

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
dezkev

burn virgin w/ an RV

Post by dezkev » Sun May 20, 2007 12:54 pm

Good day. I'm planning to attend 07.. It will be a first. I've read allot of the info here and just wanted to ask any more advice for a first timer with own rv.
Best time to arrive??
Best time to vacate??
ummmmmm, nope nothing else coming to mind but if you think of it would you mind jotting it here for me...
thanks thanks and thank ya
Desaree
once in a while you get shown the light in the stragest of places if you look at it right!~

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Post by helitack » Sun May 20, 2007 12:59 pm

Sunday morning.

and

Monday morning...
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

dezkev

Post by dezkev » Sun May 20, 2007 7:33 pm

do carry on.. tell me more please?
once in a while you get shown the light in the stragest of places if you look at it right!~

helitack

Post by helitack » Sun May 20, 2007 7:36 pm

What else would you like to know?

dezkev

Post by dezkev » Sun May 20, 2007 7:52 pm

Anything and everything. I hafta say I've been reading ALLOT here.. this site is extremely helpful but I'm sure I'll miss or forget something.. Reccommend any spots on the playa.. I think we'll come early.. We are fulltime rvers sooooo time is not of the essense in our case...LOL

helitack

Post by helitack » Sun May 20, 2007 7:54 pm

What is stragest?

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun May 20, 2007 8:13 pm

There are some gathering places of rvs or you can pick a place.
If you run a generator, look for a place where you won't make people nuts.
Catching someone to empty tanks is tricky.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Nick Collide

Post by Nick Collide » Sun May 20, 2007 8:18 pm

Strange you should ask that... :lol:

One would suppose that stragest would be the most strage one can be.

Here is a website that bills itself as "Everything in the known universe tagged strage" - http://technorati.com/tag/strage

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon May 21, 2007 1:05 pm

Since you asked what is the strangest thing I've ever seen at Burning Man, I'll answer it. [NOTE TO ALL: I am not making this up.] It was 2001, about mid-week. We were hanging around Barbie Death Camp when a couple strolled up. He and she were hungry and we offered up some grapes and some wine. Turns out they didn't have a camp, and were considering crashing right here. We asked them what they did for a living, and she was just a free spirit whereas (keep in mind he was carrying a large suitcase, sort of like what large paintings may be kept in) he was a circus geek. When queried further, he promptly agreed to give us a demonstration: He would fold out his "suitcase" which turned out to be a bed of nails. He would then strip naked, lay down on the nails and give himself a blowjob. I SWEAR TO GOD. This dude blew himself for a living on a bed of nails. Now THAT would stump the panel on "What's My Line?" We decided they were too weird even by our standards and finally had to kick them out of camp. Haven't heard or seen from them since.

Nick Collide

Post by Nick Collide » Mon May 21, 2007 1:53 pm

Great story, Dr. Pyro. Did she have a part in the show? I can just see broad Vanna White-style pointing/showcasing gestures...pulling the table around so you can see it from every angle...maybe even a soft, feminine, "ta da..."

Has there ever been a topic called "The strangest thing I ever saw at BM"? I did a search and saw a lot of specific items - "Snow on the Playa," "Flying Saucers," etc. Nothing on real-people stories like yours

Maybe you could repost your story and get the ball rolling...?

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Astrix Camp

Post by EB » Mon May 21, 2007 1:58 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:This dude blew himself for a living on a bed of nails. Now THAT would stump the panel on "What's My Line?" We decided they were too weird even by our standards and finally had to kick them out of camp. Haven't heard or seen from them since.
Great story!

p.s. Thanks for the grapes!
Irony. You're soaking in it.

dezkev

Post by dezkev » Mon May 21, 2007 6:32 pm

That was a good story. I've printed a couple and read them from the story section of the site but It would be great if there was a thread about them.

On another note. Where could I find other rvers that are going maybe to hook up with on the way in?? I guess I'm just a little nervous being a first timer and not really knowing anyone.

helitack

Post by helitack » Mon May 21, 2007 6:45 pm

nevermind

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Mon May 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Weirdest thing I saw on the Playa...

H'mm.

I'm pretty open-minded and somewhat surreal myself, so that's a toughie.

Okay, I have to admit, the weirdest thing I've seen on the Playa was that steam-powered Victorian house from last year. Houses...just don't move! Do they?
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Mon May 21, 2007 7:29 pm

Okay, I have to admit, the weirdest thing I've seen on the Playa was that steam-powered Victorian house from last year. Houses...just don't move! Do they?

Reminds me of one time, years ago, in Madison when I was driving east along the lake and came across a house (Fred Risser's old law office) being moved. From where I was all I could see was the house, not the trailer or the truck, so it looked like the house was sitting in the middle of a road. I swear my first thought was "That's funny, I don't remember a house being there!" That thought was quickly followed by the realization I was seeing a house being moved. It was later that I learned that the state senator had donated it to a family in need of a house rather than allow it to be demolished for new construction. It was a very odd experience.

As for on the playa-- last year was my first year, so it would be hard to say, since all of it was new.

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Re: burn virgin w/ an RV

Post by wedeliver » Mon May 21, 2007 10:33 pm

Unless you are on a list you will not be admitted before Midnight on Sunday. So at 12:01am Monday morning if you are not on a list you can then enter.
If you are well supplied you might wait till after exodus, less traffic on the road or instead come north and visit us (check our website).
Othewise you can park your rig just about anywhere, although I could tell ya a TRUE story about how we parked in jiffy lubes spot early, prior to anyone else being there. and the funny events.. So, use the guide and map you'll get at the gate and check the signs so you know where to park. (just cause the sign that says "theme camps" points one way you still might wanna check to make sure you are on the correct side of the sign..(above jiffy lube error).

dezkev wrote:Good day. I'm planning to attend 07.. It will be a first. I've read allot of the info here and just wanted to ask any more advice for a first timer with own rv.
Best time to arrive??
Best time to vacate??
ummmmmm, nope nothing else coming to mind but if you think of it would you mind jotting it here for me...
thanks thanks and thank ya
Desaree
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

vic

when to arrive and when to leave

Post by vic » Tue May 22, 2007 9:08 pm

Any time from Monday morning on during the week is a good time to arrive. A good time to leave is when you have had enough. My advice is to lighten up. Read the survival guide and show up. It may sound strange, but don't even try to "maximize" the experience - just let it happen. With an RV you have lots of places to park no matter when you get in. The only other advice is that it would be a good idea to arrive during day light.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:40 pm

EVERYONE has the bright idea of leaving the morning after the Man burns. We got in line to leave last year at about 10 AM and didn't make it off hte playa to the blacktop until 2:30 PM.

My first year with a different group we left after The Temple Burn, about 2 AM...sailed right out the gate. Everyone wants to leave during daylight, which is understandable...

This year we're planning on leaving after Temple Burn, driving at night. Make sure your driver is sober, rested, and has a wide-awake shotgun.

phil

Post by phil » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:55 pm

> This year we're planning on leaving after Temple Burn, driving at
> night. Make sure your driver is sober, rested, and has a wide-
> awake shotgun.

Did you come across any cows on the road at night?

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:06 am

We left some time after the Temple Burn, and got out with no real problems. Did not see any cows (saw only a couple rabbits on the way there, which, from what I understand, is not normal.) I'm not certain how long it was after the Temple Burn-- I would guess some time after 2:00 in the morning, maybe closer to 4:00.

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

gladeye

Post by gladeye » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:37 am

On another note. Where could I find other rvers that are going maybe to hook up with on the way in?? I guess I'm just a little nervous being a first timer and not really knowing anyone.
You should have no trouble finding many. Wait til it gets dark and the rve clubs should be easy to find. The biggest setups with the loudest thumpa thumpa music is relegated to the ends of the streets (2:00 and 10:00ish).
"Madness is the first sign of dandruff" - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Mitch
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: The Black Rock Beacon

Post by Mitch » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:44 am

Best time to leave is before 8 a.m. on either Sunday or Monday. (Everybody who plans to leave early tries to leave at 10, by which time it's too late.)

Some other thoughts:

1. Gas up in Empire or Gerlach BEFORE hitting the Playa. It's 90 miles back to the highway (I'm assuming you're coming from the South, same precepts would apply if you're coming via Winnemucca. If you're planning the Jungo road, it won't matter, 'cause you'll never make it in an RV), so unless you have such large tanks that you can do a 180-mile trip back to Fernley and don't plan on using your generator much, you run the risk of there being no gas available when you leave. This has happened before.

2. It is possible but not always easy to get your tanks pumped on the Playa. Some years there has been a sign-up person at Center Camp for a few hours a day, and you could be reasonably sure that if you put your name on the list you'd eventually get serviced. The oft-stated option of "flagging down a pumper" won't do you much good unless you want to commit the better part of a day to finding one. You have to be IN your camp to do this, so it means hanging around and waiting until one comes by. Your gray water will be the big problem, not the black tank, assuming they're both roughly 30 gals. Be very frugal with water when showering and doing dishes. Consider using burnable paper plates and wooden eating utensils instead of dishes you have to wash. In a pinch, you can probably take 5 gallons of gray water (using a bucket!) and pour it into the toilet.

3. Bring extra fuses, light bulbs and replaceable engine parts (belts, hoses, oil filter, etc.). Try to have a tuneup before you come, you really don't want your RV to be stuck on the Playa. Clean your AC filters well, and bring replacements for those too if you can.

4. Unless you've been desert camping before, you probably aren't prepared for the amount of dust that you will have in your RV, no matter what steps you take to prevent it. The dust will last for a year or so (like until next Burning Man). Some steps you can take: cover all the upholstery (use extra sheets or blankets to cover the chairs etc.) and consider using paper or plastic -- as movers do -- to cover the floor.

5. Figure out beforehand how you will get extra water into your tanks. I use collapsable water jugs, plastic tubing and a small garden pump. You can also haul water jugs up to your roof and let gravity take the water down into the tank. If you're really strong and don't get bored easily, you can just take a water jug and hold it up to the intake.

More here, if you're on Tribe.net:

http://burningrv.tribe.net/thread/f6ff4 ... 7cfb06b9cf

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”