Cheap carport deal

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Xtevan
Burning Since: 2007

Cheap carport deal

Post by Xtevan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:18 pm

I just bought two Shelterlogic brand 10x20 carports on sale at Peps Boys Automotive, they were marked down from $99 to $79 for their 4th of July sale. The sale goes through sunday. There is also a $30 mail in rebate, the rebate paper work says the rebate is good on purchases till August 4th. When I get the rebate check my cost should 56.48 each with local tax.

I suspect the tarps will not be that great(aluminet over them next year maybe?), But I don't think could buy the enough fence rail to complete the Tarps.com kit i was thinking about for less than $100.

I think I'll set them up next weekend if it stops raining here and drill the connectors so I bolt them together for a more wind resistant 20x20 set up

Xtevan

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:28 pm

Sounds like a steal.

Post some pictures when you get it set up. I'd like to compare it to the CostCo carport I bought a couple years back.
Irony. You're soaking in it.

hunter S

Post by hunter S » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:45 pm

EB, I bought one of from Pep boyz a couple years back. Killer deal on the cost but be awaer the tubing on the cheeper modles is smaller & much less sturdy. I have 3 of the costco jobers & have been reluctent to bring the lighter framed unit until this year. may I sujest?

Bring a supply of pipe clamps, some exstra 1 5/8th tubing & a tubing cutter. I think (am going to see if these will hold up) the playa winds will be more than these light frames can handle but with a bit of exstra stuff it will work. great deal on the cost if it can handle the playa.
Objects behind you may appeare larger than reality!

bmix
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Tikiplex-12

Re: Cheap carport deal

Post by bmix » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:09 pm

Xtevan wrote:I just bought two Shelterlogic brand 10x20 carports on sale at Peps Boys Automotive, they were marked down from $99 to $79 for their 4th of July sale. The sale goes through sunday. There is also a $30 mail in rebate, the rebate paper work says the rebate is good on purchases till August 4th. When I get the rebate check my cost should 56.48 each with local tax.
I got the 12x26 ShelterLogic at the Pep Boys sale also and set it up last week. I'm not at the location at the moment but will post pix later today.

I forget the exact price, but there was a $30 rebate on this one as well, plus it was on sale to begin with. We also got the kit for the sides, which was another $99 (not on sale). It's the cheapest I've seen one of the big carports, and I've been looking for 2 years now.

Construction is good. I was able to set the whole thing up, by myself, in under 2 hours. It seems remarkably sturdy, especially considering the cost. It's under a big tree right now with branches falling on it, and survived an Oklahoma storm the next day after being set up. Doesn't have a scratch or a tear on it.

The tarps concern me. The literature says they're "triple-layer welded" or some such, but they do seem very thin. I think with a little babying they'll be ok. though. I guess we'll see in August.

bmix
Camp Name: Tikiplex-12

Post by bmix » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:59 pm

Aaaaaand several hours (and several beers) later, here's the pic:

Pretty straightforward, really. I'll be disassembling it a couple weeks from now to pack away. I'll post if I run into any serious snags.

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:42 pm

bmix wrote:Aaaaaand several hours (and several beers) later, here's the pic:

Pretty straightforward, really. I'll be disassembling it a couple weeks from now to pack away. I'll post if I run into any serious snags.
Looks good!

Main differences between the Pep Boys and the Costco (that I can see from the picture) :

1.) Costco has two sets of turnbuckle supports for each ceiling "quadrant." Didn't see them in your picture. I don't know how much additional structural integrity these provide in the overall picture, though.

2.) Costco has sidewalls and front walls. Though, they're made of that nasty tan plastic and don't allow for any type of airflow. Your structure provides a much greater allowance for improv. i.e. Aluminet, camo net, parachute, etc.

But I think strapping two sets of the Pep Boys together for a 40X40 shade area (at a total cost of, what, $112?!) is a pretty good plan.
Irony. You're soaking in it.

chrispburn

low cost carports - caution

Post by chrispburn » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:30 am

I bought a cheap one as well at an auto supply store (Kragen) for less than $100. I was setting it up for a party in my backyard - and immediately deemed it NOT playa-worthy.

I'd be concerned about the strength of the covering - mine had a very thin white plastic cover - much thinner than your typical blue tarp material.

Also, the pipes just slid together - smaller one goes inside slightly larger one. The one I have has no reinforcement to keep the joints together - apart from the pipes being sized very close together. But I doubt that mine would last more than 20 minutes on the playa - one good wind GUST and things would start popping apart.

My 2 cents - I'd make sure the bargain is strong enough structurally.

best of luck

Lord Of Ruin
Burning Since: 2017

Cheapest deal...

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:15 am

For those of you considering this...if you can...you should really look at the Costco ones...

Very strong powdercoated legs. Same size as the one included above, but comes with all walls and such. Comes with feet for poles that stakes can be driven through. Walls have two windows (with closures) roof vents, and even a door in one of the walls (that can be closed.)

The entire thing is like $160. This may sound higher than others, but once you factor in all your ball bungies, aluminet for sides, side kits or whatever, it's really a steal.

aiki
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

CapSmashy
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:27 am

I bought a Costco one in March and have had it set up on the back porch for the past 5 months. Its turned into my home gym, but they are certainly durable and this one has weathered some pretty stout Texas spring storms this year.

I was going to take this one to BM, but since its being used as an outdoor room, I'll probably have to buy another one now. :)

Oh, and its a bit of a chore, but these can be set up by one person.

Scally

Costco carport? Anyone got any photos?

Post by Scally » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:42 pm

Hey guys
This topic (amongst others) has been super helpful so far, as we're based in London and are trying to figure out which way to go for getting carports with which to build our pub on the playa this year.
A good friend has picked up 4 of these Costco carports for us - no small favour, as I understand they weight a ton!
However... can anyone help me with a photo of the actual product? We're trying to figure out what it looks like so that we can start planning our decor and so on - we're going to do as much preparation before we leave London in -er -3 weeks to head to the playa!
If anyone has any information that could help, I'd really appreciate it. Preferably a photo of a Costco carport that you've put up already, or failing that, if someone can say what the brand is then maybe I can google it.
Thanks guys!

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:55 pm

I've been all over the Costco site looking, but they're not listed. Ours are old King Canopy brand, so they're only vaguely similar. The new ones have small peaked roof vents and are khaki colored, kinda like the eplaya.

nocturnal_steve
Burning Since: 1997

Carports.... Beware Chaeper one's

Post by nocturnal_steve » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:11 pm

I brought a "King Canopy" 10 x 20 with six 1 3/8" legs. Open sides
We had it supported down with 6 guy wires , 2 at the top of each leg.

The thing tried to go airborn in last years wind storm; we had to struggle to keep it from blowing away, bent one of the center legs. Sold it for a Costco this year....

There was a Costco 10 x 20 right next to us with eight 2' legs. Came with closed side option. I didn't notice any extra guy wires. I am not sure if was the extra and heavier legs, or maybe more due to the fact that it was closed/with sides ( less likely to act as a wing or kite) .... but they didn't seem to have any problem. Just my own experience and 2 cents

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:24 pm

Our King has side walls and eight legs, pretty much like a standard white costoc. We leave off four of the legs so it is tilted on its side, very wind resistant.

nocturnal_steve
Burning Since: 1997

Post by nocturnal_steve » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:36 am

.........just for clarity's sake, thats fewer legs only 6, 1 3/8 inch diamater on the cheaper King Canopy vs. 8 legs 2 inch diameter.......
Stay hydrated my friend.

Scally

Post by Scally » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:18 am

Apparently the new costco ones have windows in the sidewalls - is that right? Is it all the walls, including the end walls, or just the longer sidewalls?

Dato

Post by Dato » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:24 am

Just the long side walls. The end walls roll up as well, but they don't have windows, perse.

Here's a pic of the first time we set ours up...

Scally

Post by Scally » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:16 am

Perfect - just what we needed to see!

Thanks for the help!

(Oh - and swing by our place for a few beers on the playa! 7.30 and D, within avalon village... "The Green Man" olde english pub @ Quixote's Cabaret Club & Bar!)

Dato

Post by Dato » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:45 pm

You're welcome!

And will do! We should be next to you guys anyway. With any luck, we should be at our usual location, 7:15ish and D. Look for a big white dome with the carport next to it, and follow your ear. We'll be loud. :)

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:59 pm

Dato wrote:You're welcome!

And will do! We should be next to you guys anyway. With any luck, we should be at our usual location, 7:15ish and D. Look for a big white dome with the carport next to it, and follow your ear. We'll be loud. :)
Ah, Hushville is at 7 and C, the village takes up a full double block between C and E. You'll be loud and half a block away, remind me to bring earplugs. :wink:

Dato

Post by Dato » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:14 pm

Aw, crap. I didn't realize hushville was so close this year. I always thought it was on the other side of town.

hrmph.

Earplugs may be a good idea. We have a drum kit and other various musical goodness set up in the dome.

:)

Hmmm, would hate to disturb hushville though. Maybe it'd be good to migrate to the 7:45 area of things......

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:43 pm

Last year Hush was at 8:30, we get moved now and then. Buwahaha, break out the pitchforks and torches! We're had loud neighbors before, usually things work out just fine. Golden Cafe was across the street one year, but they're primarily daytime, great camp!

Don't let us rain on your parade. We're burners we can make it all work one way or the other. Drums, yum.

Dato

Post by Dato » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:57 pm

Okie. We're sensible people, but we can get quite loud.

And yes, we will have a drumset, lots of random percussion people can beat on, some guitars, a sound system, and plenty of mics to plug in any wandering didg players and whatnot.

Stop on by, we'll be practically neighbors. :)

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:36 pm

well then, you'll have to stop by and adopt some art from the Home for Wayward Art!

Dato

Post by Dato » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:45 pm

Absolutely. :D

I can't believe it three and a half weeks away. I just may pee myself. :shock:

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:44 am

Yo, this is an old thread. However, I am tired of having crappy shade structures for the last few years but I am not all too interested in setting up some grand structure. Does anyone know how big the costco carports are when broken down for transport? What kind of vehicle would it fit in? Thanks!

Scally

Post by Scally » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:31 am

[quote="DoriumLux"]Yo, this is an old thread. However, I am tired of having crappy shade structures for the last few years but I am not all too interested in setting up some grand structure. Does anyone know how big the costco carports are when broken down for transport? What kind of vehicle would it fit in? Thanks![/quote]

If my memory serves correcly they are about 5 or 6 ft long, a foot deep and about 18" wide. And they are heavy... we have 4 of them - it's a bit of a struggle for 2 people to lift them! The boxes tend to start falling apart quite quickly too... so while they're a nice sturdy playa-proof shelter, they are kind of a pain in the ass to deal with.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:10 am

The box never even made it to the playa. We cut a floorcloth out of billboard vinyl, and the poles are wrapped in that (a burrito). The roof and walls, when we take walls, are packed into a parachute or flight bag. The bungee cords, joints and ropes are in a heavy-duty plastic bin (action packer brand). The bundled burrito is long and heavy, it rides strapped to the side of the utility trailer, although it can be on the roof of an SUV.

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:07 am

I have mine broken down into bundles.

I put 4/5 poles together and just tape them up together. All of the pole connectors, feet, bungees, big stakes and ratchet straps for securing to the playa go into a duffel bag.

The only covering piece I use is the original roof. I wrap the sides in shade fabric around three sides and hang camo netting over the entrance end and I have a silver tarp that I put on the roof to reflect some heat away and make it opaque.

The shade fabric, camo netting and tarp take up less packed space than one of the original side walls.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:08 am

Oh yes, this year we are adding a billboard vinyl subfloor and putting down carpets.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:34 am

The carpet rolls are heavy; we've cut back, literally. We have one for the main shade area (space between two carports), under the tents we have smaller, cut to fit pieces. We leave the areas between tents vinyl, as we do the kitchen area. The rug under our small tent id a sisal outdoor rug, it holds dust, but beats out well. It is larger than the tent footprint, so we have a dressing area beside the tent. Each tent has a small "welcome" mat at the door for shoe and boot removal or stomping. We have a painted floorcloth at the entrance for flair. Don't forget a good heavy broom that won't shed, you will want to sweep sometime.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”