RV as a Wind Shelter

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
vbold

RV as a Wind Shelter

Post by vbold » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:58 am

Hi there,

I read on the forum some time ago (but can't find it again..doh!!!) that you should park an RV in a certain direction on the playa so that it will act as a wind shelter for anyone who is camped near it and to keep it as cool during the hottest part of the day, can anyone enlighten me :-)

thanks
Dust. Anybody? No? High in fat, low in fat? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? . It's actually very low in fat. You can have as much dust as you like.

Hoolie
Burning Since: 2000

Post by Hoolie » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:36 am

According to the Burning Man website, the prevailing winds blow from south-southwest to north-northeast. However, the winds shift a lot on the playa. One day it will be blowing from one direction, and the next day it can shift to the exact opposite direction.

As for shade, I guess an RV parked on the south side would maximize it, since the sun's path tends toward the southern sky here. This does correlate to the direction of the prevailing wind.

So, long answer short, I'd say park it on south side.

Edit: Re-reading your post, it looks like you want to keep the RV cooler, not use it for shade? In that case, having the rear end facing south would be my guess. If one of the sides faced south, it would be getting a longer, wider blast of sun throughout the day. And the front end facing south would expose the windshield more, intensifying that greenhouse effect.

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:08 pm

Hoolie is right. As a RV owner myself and a burner of 8 years, blocking the wind is very difficult and I typically plan on providing shade vs. trying to quess at the wind. Parking in a South position is best but I prefer picking a part of the day I plan to be enjoying relaxing and park accordingly to block the sun. Remember the wind is relaxed in the AM so it is nice to block the morning sun if you eat breakfast outside. The otherside of things is to park to block the afternoon sun but typically the wind picks up and your not hanging outside...
Have a great burn!

safetythird

Post by safetythird » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:27 pm

Many times the direction you park will be partially (or completely) dictated by your surroundings and camp layout. My rv is always on the outside of camp providing physical and visual barriers for campmates.

If you cover the inside of your windows with foil backed bubble wrap it wont matter which direction the sun is rising from in relation to your windshield. It'll be cool and dark throughout the rv. It still gets hot as hell during the day (not much you can about that) but affords a couple extra hours sleep.

S3

phil

Post by phil » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:49 pm

If you cover the inside of your windows with foil backed bubble wrap it wont matter which direction the sun is rising from in relation to your windshield. It'll be cool and dark throughout the rv.
Louise and I go in a white cargo van. We use just plain aluminum foil on the windows, and the interior of the van is cool all day.

Spelling Fourth!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/509994995/

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:26 pm

I also use regular-old aluminum foil on my camper windows... that and the A/C keeps the inside cool and dark so you can sleep during the hot part of the day and be up more at night, thus taking virtually all the suffering out of your burn!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

vbold

Post by vbold » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:52 am

Cool, thanks for the advice, good tips there with the tin foil

[quote] also use regular-old aluminum foil on my camper windows... that and the A/C keeps the inside cool and dark so you can sleep during the hot part of the day and be up more at night, thus taking virtually all the suffering out of your burn![/quote]

We had decided that it was going to be really difficult for us to move at all during the day time heat so keeping it cool while we're sleeping would be great

Looking forward to a great burn !!! :-)
Dust. Anybody? No? High in fat, low in fat? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? . It's actually very low in fat. You can have as much dust as you like.

vic

RV shade and wind break

Post by vic » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:53 pm

We have used the RV as a wind break for the tents in our camp. Although the wind will come from every direction, the most common is from the south and south west. Park your RV with the door on the lee side.
RVs heat up in the sun, and you are going to be in full sun. If you could put Aluminent or another reflective fabric on the top and sides of the RV, that would help. If you do so, plan for occassional winds of 30 mph +.

vbold

Post by vbold » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:21 am

okey dokey..i'll get my compass out :-) thanks 4 all the advise.

Also does anyone have any experience with RV covers - I was thinking of getting a cheap one in as light a colour as possible (pref white) to put on the RV and then put the tin foil underneath on the windows etc, I could then additionally lash the shade structure to the cover for extra re-inforcement?????

40 days to go :-)

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:46 am

As a 4th year burner and RV renter...we haven't covered the RV any years. We also spent very little time in it: like after midnight to somewhat after sun-up. Heat is not an issue then. I think we spent an hour inside a few years back...10 minutes with the A/C cooled it right down. You have to run the engine occasionally to recharge the batteries, so turn on the A/C then.

Don't bother with covers or tin foil. There are so many ideas on this board and others that if you brought all the suggested stuff and did all the tricks you wouldn't have room or time for yourselves.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

vbold

Post by vbold » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:08 am

[quote]We also spent very little time in it: like after midnight to somewhat after sun-up. Heat is not an issue then. [/quote]

Thanks Expresso dude - i'd love to be able to say that we'll never be in the RV but i think we're going to have to wait out the hottest part of the day in it as we're just not used to that kind of heat we expect on the playa - my gf in particular being the classic redhead could be liable to spontaniously combust in anything over 90F!!! so we're gonna try to sleep for the hottest part of the day....but sure who knows, we'll probably never see the inside of it from one end of the week to the other... :-) !

safetythird

Post by safetythird » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:17 am

vbold wrote: Also does anyone have any experience with RV covers
Those RV covers flapping in the wind can cause some serious damage to the paint. I considered one until I heard the horror stories on rv.net. Just remember that your windows are the least insulated areas on your rig. Cover them up and enjoy.

As far as heat goes you'll likely acclimate in a couple of days. I live on the coast with moist air, 65F highs at 16 feet above sea level. Pretty much the opposite climate of BRC but we thrive after the first sluggish day or two setting up camp. When you get hot find shade, mist yourself down and keep hydrated.

[edited to add] We only use ours to sleep and cook. There's just too much going on.

S3

mojo

Post by mojo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:42 am

I've posted this before but it bears repeating (I hope). We used to get a lot of playa coming in through the edges of the windows during white outs. Last year we sealed the edges with blue painter's tape and it worked perfectly.

Hoolie

Post by Hoolie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:24 pm

vbold wrote:i'd love to be able to say that we'll never be in the RV but i think we're going to have to wait out the hottest part of the day in it as we're just not used to that kind of heat we expect on the playa - my gf in particular being the classic redhead could be liable to spontaniously combust in anything over 90F!!! so we're gonna try to sleep for the hottest part of the day....
Don't be too intimidated by the heat. Yes, it can be intense (and dangerous) if you are running around in the afternoon sun and not hydrating yourself. But it is a very dry heat, so it's not unbearable. In fact, if you just relax in some good shade with a cool drink, it can be downright pleasant. Much better, in my opinion, than being couped up in an RV.

The thing you will more likely want to escape is the dust, especially when the wind is blowing hard. In that case, inside the RV would be a nice refuge.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Redhead thread-drift

Post by Eric » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:08 pm

vbold wrote:my gf in particular being the classic redhead could be liable to spontaniously combust in anything over 90F!!!
I'm also the "classic redhead", but I never stay in our RV during the day unless there is a whiteout. There's too much to see & do, and most of the art is more fun if you explore it during the day as well as at night. During the day I hang out in either our shade structure or at another camps when I'm

Simple tip- slather on sunblock. If she can go a few days without washing the exposed areas of her body, this little trick has worked for me- just put more sunblock on top of the old every day. The combination of playa & sunblock has kept me from ever getting a sunburn. Of course, I only do a full body shower once during the week, so your mileage may vary......

wow this sounds just dirty
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”