Covering rental truck logo?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Mr.?

Covering rental truck logo?

Post by Mr.? » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:37 am

This will be the first year that I've had to rent a truck to haul my camp to BRC. I've decided to go with Penske for the rental, but I don't care to drive with there logo pasted on the side of the truck. I was hoping to paint over logo with something that could be easily washed off when I return.
Any suggestions for paint or maybe shelf paper that I could use to cover the logo?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Pink Daddy

Post by Pink Daddy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:56 am

This is actually mandatory since no advertising is allowed at Burning Man. You don't need anything serious, just something that covers it up. This can be tape or paper taped over the name.
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs377.snc4/46069_461193081927_501436927_6807820_1244164_n.jpg[/img]

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:06 am

or alter the logo..my favorite: Budge and Fuck Rentals
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

julie_c

Post by julie_c » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:10 am

1st couple of years I attended, seemed like everyone was abiding by the suggestion to cover or cleverly disguise logos on rental vans and RV's...last couple of years I attended...seemed like no one gave a SHIT...looked like Natl. Lampoon's Vacation w/o Chevy Chase (CruiseAmerica, El Monte RV, Penske, UHaul etc...) dont bag on me...but just another of the various reasons I'm gonna skip attending this year.

phil

Post by phil » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:27 am

Personally, I don't care if there are logos on vehicles. People had to rent a truck to get there, and that's fine with me. I don't take it as a personal affront.

If you use washable paint, please test it first as a week in the sun on the playa may cause the washable paint to stain - if anyone has personal experience, I'd love to hear it. I knew a guy who used washable markers on his car, and the stain didn't come right off as advertised.

If you really want to cover the logo, I'd suggest whatever paper floats your boat and painters' blue trim tape or gaffer tape. I used aluminum duct tape on a truck one year, and the adhesive was a _bear_ to get off. That heat and playa powder are killers.

It's Burning Man. I understand that BMOrg doesn't want the event filled with ads for the outside world encouraging mindless consumerism. But I'm not willing to have to bow down to rules set by BMOrg, either. Who are _they_ to tell me what I can and cannot do at Burning Man. What's with all the _rules_ at Burning Man? Screw 'em. Screw 'em, I say.

Or not. It's your Burn, too.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:59 am

Stretch shade tarps over it just ignore the logos.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:43 pm

ok,, heres what you do. Get as much rental insurance on the truck as possible. THEN get about 15 cans of pink and black spray paint. THEN paint giant bunnies all over your truck. THEN upon return of the truck make your insurance claim because CLEARLY you have been vandalized. :-)
don't forget to floss

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:46 pm

haha perfect!
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:45 pm

And they'll know you took it to BM. I used a small Uhaul trailer last year and I covered the logo with white cardboard paper from the $ store and drew pictures of burning man and a few other things on it with different colored markers

Knotch

Re: Covering rental truck logo?

Post by Knotch » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:35 pm

Mr.? wrote:...
Any suggestions for paint or maybe shelf paper that I could use to cover the logo?
I'm not sure how feasible this really is but somewhere I read a post suggesting bringing a paint roller and pan to the playa with you. Mix playa dust with water and make a playa based paint to cover the logos on vehicles. Anybody ever tried this to see if it works?

AKAparttime
Camp Name: some times Outpost Tokyo

Post by AKAparttime » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:15 pm

Spray some oil like pam on it....the playa dust will do the rest.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:03 pm

You could apply wax first.
I've used water based tempera paints though not on the playa.
Also water based fluorescent paint.

With the new theme and street names, logos are in.

Or buy one of my 'NO COMMERCE' t-shirts and no one will say boo to you.

thirt33n
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:09 pm

julie_c wrote:1st couple of years I attended, seemed like everyone was abiding by the suggestion to cover or cleverly disguise logos on rental vans and RV's...last couple of years I attended...seemed like no one gave a SHIT...looked like Natl. Lampoon's Vacation w/o Chevy Chase (CruiseAmerica, El Monte RV, Penske, UHaul etc...) dont bag on me...but just another of the various reasons I'm gonna skip attending this year.

you should start a thread about all the reasons that you're not attending this year. even when you say stuff that makes sense you always have to tag that on to the end. i think it would be healthy for you to just get it out. tell us all those little things. maybe you could tell us what you have planned while we're in black rock city doing what you would rather not do this year.

am i ragging on you? wouldn't wanna rag on a wet rag.
looking forward to not meeting you this year.
blow.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:16 pm

Use playa mud and then make cave drawings in the mud.

Coastburner

Electrical Tape

Post by Coastburner » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:49 pm

I've seen the Penskie turned into Penis with some creative electrical tape placements. I believe they used white or silver duct tape and then used the electrical tape over that.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:19 pm

I could just stand in front of the truck, with my giant penis completely hiding the rental truck logo from view.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:27 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I could just stand in front of the truck, with my giant penis completely hiding the rental truck logo from view.

Wow! on both sides of the truck?

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:37 pm

thirt33n wrote:
julie_c wrote:1st couple of years I attended, seemed like everyone was abiding by the suggestion to cover or cleverly disguise logos on rental vans and RV's...last couple of years I attended...seemed like no one gave a SHIT...looked like Natl. Lampoon's Vacation w/o Chevy Chase (CruiseAmerica, El Monte RV, Penske, UHaul etc...) dont bag on me...but just another of the various reasons I'm gonna skip attending this year.

you should start a thread about all the reasons that you're not attending this year. even when you say stuff that makes sense you always have to tag that on to the end. i think it would be healthy for you to just get it out. tell us all those little things. maybe you could tell us what you have planned while we're in black rock city doing what you would rather not do this year.

am i ragging on you? wouldn't wanna rag on a wet rag.
looking forward to not meeting you this year.
It's funny and sad how many people seem to think that by washing their hands of an event, they are going to somehow change what they don't like about it.

Sorry, you're not that important. The event will go on without you. Your absence changes nothing.
Lazy quitters. Good riddance.

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

capjbadger

Post by capjbadger » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:38 pm

MozyBonz wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote:I could just stand in front of the truck, with my giant penis completely hiding the rental truck logo from view.

Wow! on both sides of the truck?
It's a full wrap around. :shock:
(as vs a full reach around. ;) )

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Funky Monkey Mech

Post by Funky Monkey Mech » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:55 pm

saw a budget truck last year with the little stick figures on it giving moving tips.... things like lifting with your legs and knees instead of bending over to lift boxes with your back and with some clever electrical tape work somebody put another stick figure fucking the one in the truck ad that was bent over picking up a box. They also altered the logo to say fuck it rent a truck
" Holy shit did that just fucking happen"
....anything is possible in the wacky land of imagination

Mr.?

Post by Mr.? » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I like the playa dust as a paint method, but the best suggestion is the insurance and graffiti plan of attack. Fuck the bunnies I'm down with Chickens this year though.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:11 am

Mr.? wrote:I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
ITYM "I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a prefrontal lobotomy".
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

julie_c

Post by julie_c » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:54 am

..."Sorry, you're not that important. The event will go on without you. Your absence changes nothing.
Lazy quitters. Good riddance..."

It sure will go on, as long as there's yuppie-elitist-Burners like you who want to continue to direct the event away from what it once was...

capjbadger

Post by capjbadger » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:05 am

julie_c wrote:
CapJBadger wrote:..."Sorry, you're not that important. The event will go on without you. Your absence changes nothing.
It sure will go on, as long as there's yuppie-elitist-Burners like you who want to continue to direct the event away from what it once was...
Yuppie? bwahahahahahahahahaha
Thanks. I needed a good laugh this morning. :lol:

And as far as where I'm "directing the event", that's pure foolish and ill-informed assumption on you part. You have no idea who I am, what I think, what I believe. You have nothing.
You don't like things the way they are? DO something about it. Walking away does nothing but leave the event in the hands of people like me. :twisted:

Oh, and I believe the phrase you're looking for is "Sour Grapes!" :wink:
(Don't get it? Read your Aesop Fables)

Badger

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:23 am

CapJBadger wrote:...Oh, and I believe the phrase you're looking for is "Sour Grapes!" :wink:
(Don't get it? Read your Aesop Fables)

Badger
I resemble that remark.
Best,
Dan Fox

julie_c

Post by julie_c » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:27 am

..."maybe you could tell us what you have planned while we're in black rock city doing what you would rather not do this year..."

"Burning Posuer"
HAHAHA!!!!

thirt33n
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:31 am

ha ha h....well, i undestand why you no longer fit in.
you're the only one who understands your "jokes".

that's cool, but it also one of the many reasons why i'm glad i'm not going to meet you this year.

see ya.
blow.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:39 am

julie_c wrote:..."Sorry, you're not that important. The event will go on without you. Your absence changes nothing.

You have simply GOT to start your own thread, it'd be interesting reading. I suggest in Politics and Philosophies. I'm dying for some interesting reading on the eplaya. Talk about slackers.

Nope, no yuppies here. I'm a retired homemaker married to a trucker, about as blue collar as you can get. Elitist yuppies, huh. I've yet to meet one myself. Some folks have all the fun.

What was the event like when you were little, Granny? Did you have to walk to the burn, uphill both ways? Is it true you had to whittle your own Man? Your bikes were coal-powered?

Wow, I'm feeling the snark today.

Oh, pleeeeez, start your own thread so we can quit hijacking this one.

capjbadger

Post by capjbadger » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:58 am

AntiM wrote:You have simply GOT to start your own thread, it'd be interesting reading. I suggest in Politics and Philosophies. I'm dying for some interesting reading on the eplaya. Talk about slackers.

Nope, no yuppies here. I'm a retired homemaker married to a trucker, about as blue collar as you can get. Elitist yuppies, huh. I've yet to meet one myself. Some folks have all the fun.

What was the event like when you were little, Granny? Did you have to walk to the burn, uphill both ways? Is it true you had to whittle your own Man? Your bikes were coal-powered?

Wow, I'm feeling the snark today.

Oh, pleeeeez, start your own thread so we can quit hijacking this one.
I can feel the snark growing within you!
-Darth Snarkidious

You're not the only only AntiM. The snarkside is strong today. :D

Oh yeah, ON topic, I hear playa mud is a great way to go. Paint it on once you get there, and just hose it off once before you return the truck. :)

Badger

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:06 am

We had some heavy 70s drapes from the thrift shop, the kind with a pocket top, not pinch pleat. Ran a set of ratchet straps through the pocket and ratcheted the drapes around the U-Haul trailer, leaving an opening where the door was. Weighed the bottom edges so the drapes wouldn't fly.

But now we own our own utility trailer, a worthy investment. use it all the time.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”