What's the Perfect Burning Man tent? Sealed 2 room tent!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
shiney

What's the Perfect Burning Man tent? Sealed 2 room tent!

Post by shiney » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:35 am

Hi Burners!

Heading to my 2nd Burn this year, we're trekking across from Australia so we'll be out in the desert for about 9 nights...

So we're looking to get a very comfortable tent setup going that will survive the wind and DUST!

Last time we went we ended up with a decent amount of dust in our tent. It was a Walmart tent... we rebarred it all down so no probs with wind

I'm more than happy to splurge on a tent if it means we'll get less dust in the tent...

I've read all the threads I can find on this topic, but haven't seen much info on good Playa tents that have 2 "sealed" areas...

1 for sleeping - relatively dust free environment

1 for gear and dusty shoes and costumes etc :-)

So to keep it dust free the sleeping area needs zero open mesh... if there is mesh it needs to zip up (even between the 2 areas of the tent)

Ideally the gear and shoe area would also be totally "sealed" or zipped right up with non mesh fabric (including the floor) - like a sealed Vestible or a sealed 2nd "room".

It needs to sleep 2 people or +1 if we get lucky ;-)

Don't really care about standing up

Would be nice if its not too heavy as it would be nice to take back to Sydney.

So the heavy canvas ones like the popular spring bar's are probably out (but they don't do smallish mulit room stuff anyway right?)

one that I've found from these forums is the Eureka K-2 tent. But looking at the pics it looks like the internal part has a hell of a lot of Mesh! Would this tent seal right up?

Is there anything out there that fits this description?

Thanks for your help!!

Rocket75377

Post by Rocket75377 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:51 am

Take the Walmart tent and liberally apply duct tape to seal all vents, mesh and seams, then stand back on friday and wonder why you went through so much trouble. Then again, I don't know if they let you bring duct tape on an airplane anymore...
I am the people your parents warned you about.

"How would Horatio Alger have handled this?"

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:06 am

Ideally you want a four season tent.
There are some almost four season tents too.
I've seen some really nice ones but as they get larger they get heavier and more expensive.
Some of the arctic and refugee tents are well made and don't show up in catalogs.
They may be too heavy for you.
North Face VE 25 is small but well made.

shiney

Post by shiney » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:54 am

Yeah you can do a lot with some duct tape... I reckon you could duct tape 10 plastic knives and forks and make something to hijack an aircraft! no wonder they wont let me on with it
>>>

So are Arctic and Refugee actual tent brands?

Oh yeah one more thing to add is that I have a contact in Reno that I can send stuff to.

So I can order from a USA online tent store and get it sent there... Tents cost way more here in Oz!

So any specific tents that fit that bill that I can buy online would be great :-)

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:28 am

No, those are tent types, but they work for searches.
Best deal I found on a North Face arctic type was around a $1000.
Some are used by the military and may show up used.
There are knockoffs sold as North Face too.
Many outlet tents ares old as new.
They may be fine but outlet stuff has no warranty.
The North Face warranty has been well worth having, though I have bought some outlet stuff myself.
Campmor has good deals on last year's tents.

Vango is a brand I like.
You have to search for the big refugee or expeditionary tents.
I saw a big dome made by them and it is listed as a refugee tent.
That type seems suited for burning man.
These may be too heavy for your purposes.

Feathered Friends don't make tents, though they may have them in their store.
But they are what North Face was before they go too big.
i buy all my down gear from them now.
They have the best flat sleeping bag I am aware of.
http://www.featheredfriends.com/Default.html
They can alter to taste.
Great stuff!

There are other good brands made or sold here.
The larger tents may be limited production and hard to find listed.
I had better luck searching under the type designations.
Expeditionary is another likely search type.
Some of these are sold only to aid organizations.

How much weight are you prepared to deal with?

somekind

Post by somekind » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:15 am

Tents with mesh windows are inconvenient because they let in a little dust during the day, especially during dust storms.

If you are stuck with a 3 season tent and aren't going to invest in another one, there are a few things you can do to minimize dust buildup:
  • Put a tarp in the tent to cover all surfaces/objects. When you get back to your tent, the tarp inside will be covered with dust, but if you can remove it carefully, everything underneath should be clean.

Don't stake the tent down. Use the weight of your gear to keep it from blowing away during the day. Then pick it up when empty to shake out all the dust. (That's pretty obvious).

Always pack all of your gear in bags before you leave your tent. Zip every zipper.
You'll be OK.
http://burningmanvideos2007.blogspot.com/

If someone offers you drugs, it's a cop.
If someone asks you for drugs, it's a cop.
If someone fucks you for drugs, it's not a cop.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:34 am

If you're going through the San Francisco area, over in Berkeley you could go to REI, The North Face, Wilderness Exchange, and Berkeley Surplus, all within a few blocks of each other near San Pablo Ave & Gilman Street.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

phil

Post by phil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:34 am

Louise and I have a tent from MSR, the Wind 4 Expedition Tent. Photos and descriptions here:

http://civex.smugmug.com/gallery/3835933_fyaKE

We bought it after the Burn last year, so haven't had it on the playa yet. It does seal, though -- all vents have ripstop covers, and we plan on using them.

I have to alert you, though, that nothing will keep all the dust out. "Relatively dust-free" is _very_ relative. I expect the Wind 4 to be relatively dust-free, even in the face of dust like last year.

We camped in Saline Valley at Thanksgiving last year, and it was very windy. Because the Wind 4 has an external spine pole (see the photos, you'll see what I mean) it was not as stiff as our previous tent which had the fly over the spine pole, so it did flap in our face once, but sprang back erect.

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:34 pm

You can always cover mesh on tents with quilt batting. You can get this at an y fabric or craft store. It works great as a filter for top vents. You can safety pin it over the mesh on the outside and then throw your ran tarp over it as well to keep it secure.

Bring an extra sheet to throw over your sleeping area while you are out and then shake it off outside every night to get the dust off.

Make sure no one wears shoes in the tent. Keep the tent zipped up. Bring a small hand broom to clean dust up occasionally.

Accept the dust.

phil

Post by phil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:02 pm

> You can always cover mesh on tents with quilt batting.

And then throw it in the trash when you're through? Seems like just creating more trash if you have no use for it but once a year.

shiney

Post by shiney » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:40 pm

Bob, Unfortunately our 1st stop from Sydney Australia will be Reno... and we only have a day there to sort everything out, so don't really want to be running around looking for a tent...

Thanks Phil,

MSR, the Wind 4 Expedition Tent does look quite good. I saw some pics of your dusty tent last year... looked very nasty! What kind of tent was that? Why did it get so dusty?

We don't really need one as big as the Wind 4 Expedition...

Do you think the Eureka K-2 XT would have the same anti dust handling capabilities?

some good customer uploaded images of it here
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media ... images_all

The Vestibule looks like fabric comes underneath, so if you put something extra on top of that with gear you may stop dust from getting into that section as well...

a totally zipped up large vestibule would great for clothes etc at Burning Man if a tent exists with that?

Thanks for your help guys!

shiney

Post by shiney » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:55 pm

gyre,

That North Face VE 25 looks pretty good... pretty light as well which bodes well with checking onto to airplanes!

Not sure that you can seal off that Vestibule area though can you?

Checking out the Vango tents at the moment...

cheers!

phil

Post by phil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:58 pm

I've forgotten what brand the dusted tent was -- it got dusty because it had vents in the fly that could not be closed and the mesh in the walls of the tent had no covers.

From the description and photos, it looks comparable. I have never seen it, so can't give a personal comment on it.

> The Vestibule looks like fabric comes underneath, so if you put
> something extra on top of that with gear you may stop dust from
> getting into that section as well

Here's what that 'fabric that comes underneath' looks like in real life:
See that wrinkly stuff under the vestibule? :-> Nothing will keep the dust out.

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:38 pm

Embrace the dust. It's a way of life.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:45 pm

phil wrote:> You can always cover mesh on tents with quilt batting.

And then throw it in the trash when you're through? Seems like just creating more trash if you have no use for it but once a year.
I save mine. It rolls back up. It comes in flat rolls.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:53 pm

shiney wrote:gyre,

That North Face VE 25 looks pretty good... pretty light as well which bodes well with checking onto to airplanes!

Not sure that you can seal off that Vestibule area though can you?

Checking out the Vango tents at the moment...

cheers!
I don't have one, but I've seen them.
I can't remember about the vestibule.
It appears to be created by the fly only.
If you buy, bear in mind the warning North Face gave me about identical knockoffs.
And always ask about whether they are outlet items.
Typically the Os are blacked out on the labels and there may be other markers.
I have seen last year's tents discounted that are not outlet items, full warranty.
http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/ ... gId=10001/
http://www2.thenorthface.com/aunz/
http://www2.thenorthface.com/opencms/op ... &site=AUNZ

I found this site for gear.
Might be useful.
I found discounted Vangos for the US market. but all they had was the family type tents on a Vango special site.
http://www.geartrade.com/search/?bzSess ... Text=tents

shiney

Post by shiney » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:07 am

Thanks...

I also have a few Aussie friends that want a "sealed" tent (ie tents with no exposed mesh/ or mesh can be closed via zip) but they aren't willing to splurge as much as me...

Anyone recommend any cheaper tents that are in the 3 to 4 man size range... again weight is a factor so they can take them back... so unfortunately no canvas tents...

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:13 am

Sierra Designs makes some pretty fucking amazing tents. You should check out their website. I wouldn't exactly call them cheap, but they're high quality for sure. Most of them have mesh, but they have a few that don't.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:33 am

Another option is to build a lightweight box house and then burn it.
Usually don't need waterproofing, just shade.

Mountain Hardware and Marmot have good stuff too.

If I can find a cheap 4 season anywhere, I'll buy it.

Seems like Sierra Design has an almost 4 season tent with a small amount of mesh and a full fly that seems to be the best thing for the money I've seen.

Best thing I've seen was a surplus Coleman that had never been retailed.
Too small for b man really, but a real 4 season.

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:53 am

I am in love with this tent:

Maybe I'll finally cave and spend the money on one next year. Great way to keep your stuff, your living area, and your sleeping area separate.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

shiney

Post by shiney » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:13 am

Yeah I was looking at thing as well on the sierra site

Looks pretty awesome for BM!

Reckon it would handle the wind? (Assuming you use rebar)

So it looks like the outside part is basically a big fly with 2 sleeping areas (they are removable).

I wonder if the sleeping areas have any exposed mesh that can't be zippered up?

patnmarilyn

No top vents - 2 room tent

Post by patnmarilyn » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:02 pm

Here is a 2 room -- DUST FREE -- tent that we own. It is quite expensive (we got ours cheaper through e-bay), but worth it if you want to avoid dust. It has huge 'zipper windows', but no 'zipperless' vents in the top, and we have been nearly dust free since we started camping with this tent. It is a major brand name (Eureka), so you may be able to order it ahead of time at an outdoors store, and then pick it up. Remember...... this tent does not have any top vents. Call Eureka and ask them about it, ( and to be sure it is still available).

http://www.eurekatent.com/p-89-headquarters.aspx

Let us know if you have any more questions. Pat & Marilyn

lizb

Post by lizb » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:21 pm

We borrowed a friend's Alaskan Guide tent from Cabela's and it was so awesome in the wind and dust that we went out and purchased the next size up for this year's trip. It is expensive and a total pain in the ass to put up (you have to actually read the instructions) but that sucker did not move during last years wind and the the zipper windows and rain-fly that goes all the way down to the ground kept the dust out.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0043361

Best of Luck
LizBn

pmattf

Post by pmattf » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:21 am

From what I have read, I suspect the Springbar's are probably the best possible tent for Burning Man, but they are pretty pricey, and it is too late to get one for this year.

After many hours of research, and calls to manufacturers, I believe I have found the best affordable tent for the playa, the Eureka Equinox 6...
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27466

Note that it says: "All windows and the roof vent are closable which will stop sand or light snow from blowing in which makes this tent ideal for late season camping, set up on the beach or in a desert."

I spoke to a Eureka rep, and she confirmed that she was absolutely positive that this tent was fully sealed from dust.

I just ordered one from Campmor (they have 24 left), should be here in about a week.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:04 pm

How do you think it will be in the wind?
Springbar's benefit seems to be tolerance for wind.
Supposed to be much more uv resistant than normal too.
Bit heavy.

The Eureka looks good though, if it takes the wind.
Let us know after the burn.

DaniB

Here are some that I found

Post by DaniB » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:06 pm

I've never been before, but I am an experienced backpacker/camper, my tent is great, but its too small. I'm looking for something I can stand up and walk around in as I will be a lot happier. I've heard people say that closing vents makes tents more vulnerable in dust storms, but..

anyways...far too big for one person but here are some good and affordable tents I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gaia-6-Person-Famil ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Equinox-8-Person-Fa ... m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fuji-8-Person-Famil ... m153.l1262
this one is just like the sierra designs one but cheaper, and without the tarp in the middle (just need to bring your own).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hulk-6-Person-Famil ... m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.com/Icarus-9-Person-Fam ... m153.l1262

what do you think? they seem fairly stable. but who knows

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:06 pm

Why would closing vents be a bad thing?
A tent that isn't closed up in thirty degree weather isn't really a tent.

DaniB

re: vents

Post by DaniB » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:21 pm

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:32 pm

She is talking about windows.
If you have to open up the whole tent, you have already lost the battle.
Just need to take a tarp instead.
The vents in my tent caught the wind and that's what ripped the doors off of mine.
That may have been part of her issue.

Any tent I get with mesh will get a tight cover, probably permanent.
Any tent over $100 with mesh, I don't even consider, even for non-desert camping.

carleetoe

Springbar Tents are available

Post by carleetoe » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:53 pm

I waited too long before I tried to order a Springbar Vagabond 4 tent. I'd been thinking about it since last year but the $399 put me into procrastination mode. When I finally decided to just do it, their website said they could not be delivered until September or later. No Springbar for me.

Over the weekend, their website was updated to say that they are now available for immediate delivery. I ordered one at $399 Sunday night. Three day shipping was $40 and no tax for delivery to Southern California. Tent shipped Monday with a Wednesday delivery date. So if anyone is really motivated, yes you can still get a Springbar.

I check in with eplaya for a couple weeks each August to see what people are saying. I've never registered/posted before - just been a reader.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”