What's the Perfect Burning Man tent? Sealed 2 room tent!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Welcome to eplaya.

Let us know what you think about the tent after the burn.
Be sure to set it up before you go and seal anything that needs it.
They will tell you.
Someone recommended scotchguarding.
Check with springbar before you do anything like that.

shiney

Follow up

Post by shiney » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:21 pm

Just thought I'd follow up to let you all know what tents I settled on.

For the people that wanted a multiroom tent I ended up going for the Eureka Headquarters as it can be totally sealed up... and the 1st room can be for dusty gear etc, 2nd one for dust free sleeping (hopefully!)

http://www.google.com/products?q=eureka ... h+Products

Someone else in our camp wanted something smaller, so I ended up going with the Eureka Timberline 4. Again you can close it all up - no exposed mesh...

http://www.google.com/products?q=Eureka ... ts&show=dd

Will let ya'll know how they go!

Seeya in the Dust :-)

shiney

PS

Post by shiney » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:22 pm

PS: We'll be getting a lot of Rebar (and something to cover) for the Eureka Headquarters... as they don't look like the most wind streamlined things out there!

DaniB

covering up the headquaters

Post by DaniB » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:11 am

What would you use to cover it? a big tarp?

patnmarilyn

Post by patnmarilyn » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:19 pm

The divider for the Eureka Headquarters tent is not quite floor to ceiling. I think there is a opening in the top of the divider. It is sort of irrelevant though, because the tent is 'Dust Free', so dust won't get into either side. (except if you open the windows or door during a dust storm.) We keep out tent sealed the entire time we are at BM. We sleep 2am to 9am and then get up when it is still cooler out. Resulting in us not having to open up any of the windows. The tent has 2 doors, so you can access each side with a different door.
One important thing about this tent, it is VERY tall, and has a 'high profile'. It will bend like crazy during very high winds. This year we are going to attach 4 ropes to the poles and 'guy wire it out' so to speak, in order to give it a little more support incase of very high winds like we had in 2007 on Friday.

shiney

Post by shiney » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:47 pm

Yeah thats a good idea about the guy wires... we'll do the same.

When you say there is an opening in the divider, is it a mesh opening or nothing at all?

DaniB: I was referring to covering the rebar stakes...

But I may try and find something reflective to put over the tents as well...
mylar maybe - but heard it doesn't go so well in the wind...

wonder if I can organise to pick up Aluminet in Reno from anywhere?

Also have friends driving from LA and San Fran that could pick some up?

patnmarilyn

Post by patnmarilyn » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:50 pm

I can't remember how close to the top of the tent the room divider goes, but there is no mesh on the material. I have only briefly used the divider, so i am not sure how adequate it will divide the tent. Good luck in your BM adventure this year. It looks like with all the loose dust on the playa this year, it will be a good thing to have a sealed up tent !!

pmattf

Post by pmattf » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:25 am

pmattf wrote:After many hours of research, and calls to manufacturers, I believe I have found the best affordable tent for the playa, the Eureka Equinox 6...
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27466
Just wanted to post a quick update that I received the tent from Campmor the other day and set it up.

As advertised, it is definitely totally sealable. It is a bit bigger than I expected from the photo -- really just about the perfect size for one to two people on the playa. Big, without being ridiculously giant. It is advertised as 87 square feet, so it is approximately a 10.5 foot diameter circle.

Sets up pretty easily -- I was able to do it solo, though I don't think I would want to try that in the wind.

Note that it does not come with any guy lines, but does have attachment points from them on the fly. You can put stakes through the rings where the poles attach at the bottom, but for the playa you are definitely going to want to add some guy lines (I added seven, which are all the available loops).

Seems like it will be plenty solid for the playa once set up and staked down.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”