HexaYurts

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
mayermar

Post by mayermar » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:27 am

Sorry, did not actually answer the question. Don't think you could do it by yourself but if you practiced at home with a friend I am sure you could find the help to get it done on the playa. I would help ypu in a second so I am sure somebody else would. Just get a good grip on what you are doing before you go.

mayermar

Post by mayermar » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:28 am

Sorry, did not actually answer the question. Don't think you could do it by yourself but if you practiced at home with a friend I am sure you could find the help to get it done on the playa. I would help ypu in a second so I am sure somebody else would. Just get a good grip on what you are doing before you go.

robtwyman

Post by robtwyman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:44 am

That's what I figured. I was looking at the boards at HD yesterday and trying to mentally assemble them and it seemed pretty tough to do solo. I'm sure I will find some kind soul to help once I'm there but I was kind of hoping not to violate the "radically self sufficient" thing right when I arrive for my first burn.

Thanks for the response!

Demannu

Last minute HexaYurt village design needs WA support.

Post by Demannu » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:59 am

Double post. I have no idea what happened.

Demannu

Double post. I have no idea what happened.

Demannu

Hello [b]2009 Burners![/b]

PT8 (The Port Townsend 8... there are only 4 of us) is looking for open-minded people or groups from around the Seattle / Puget Sound area that are still trying to figure out this years shelter options. We're hoping to find a few people to chip-in some buckaroos to cooperativley purchase custom lightweight building materials made by these guys: [b][url]http://www.superhoneycomb.com[/url][/b] (based in a small town right outside of Olympia).

The overall plan is to have a 7 Hexayurt system based on 5 x two persons 6' HexaYurts adjacent to 1 common area 12' HexaYurt which is also connected to another 12' Hexayurt double door entry way. Instead of tape, the designs call for nylon based piano hinges, interlocking sealed edges, and covered by a 4 mil mylar reflectant laminate.

Please contact me (Jason) if you're interested in being a part of the project. We know it's last minute... why not! ... This can definetly come together with able minds contributing.

:!: :idea: HAPPY! :idea: :!:

mikep_95133

Post by mikep_95133 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:32 am

We just put up our version of a HexaYurt for the first time yesterday! It took about 10 minutes. It took far more time to build at home than normal, but far less time to assemble at the playa. Please take a look. See you in a week!

http://rotordesign.com/bm/

Mike

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:11 pm

I was looking at the vent hatch in the photos and wondered if you had a safety line or support brace in mind for the vents. They look like wind sails to me. Tepees have a pocket sewn into the corner of their smokehole flaps, a movable pole is inserted into the pocket for adjusment. There are also lines attached to seal the hole by pulling the ropes from inside. Kind of like the conning tower hatch lines on a submarine.
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:45 pm

mikep_95133 wrote:We just put up our version of a HexaYurt for the first time yesterday! It took about 10 minutes. It took far more time to build at home than normal, but far less time to assemble at the playa. Please take a look. See you in a week!

Mike
Mike, I think the way you hinged the door is great! How many total panels did you actually use for the yurt?

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

sambojones

possible deal for somebody

Post by sambojones » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:17 am

found this while perusing fleabay, it's not my auction but might be good for someone who wanted a hexayurt but procrastinated till the last minute or couldn't find the right panels

robtwyman

Edge Angles

Post by robtwyman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:02 pm

Does anyone have a link or the details for what angles to bevel the edges on the stretch hexayurt? I have seen them for the regular 8' but not the stretch. Thanks!

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:23 pm

jkisha wrote:
mikep_95133 wrote:We just put up our version of a HexaYurt for the first time yesterday! It took about 10 minutes. It took far more time to build at home than normal, but far less time to assemble at the playa. Please take a look. See you in a week!

Mike
Mike, I think the way you hinged the door is great! How many total panels did you actually use for the yurt?

JK
I actually saw this yurt on the Playa, and I would not recommend this method at all. Both the hinged action of the door, and the lack of a complete tension ring around the entire structure (tape ring in the case of hexayurts) caused the structure to be way less sturdy than the original, simple design.

This design actually had to be braced up by poles, whcih kind of defeats the beauty of the engineering of the whole structure.

JK
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

zachass

Post by zachass » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:59 pm

[quote="mikep_95133"]We just put up our version of a HexaYurt for the first time yesterday! It took about 10 minutes. It took far more time to build at home than normal, but far less time to assemble at the playa. Please take a look. See you in a week!

Mike[/quote]

Mike your idea with the zippers was great! I'm curious what you think about constructing a folding-model hexayurt with something similar to your K-joints but instead of zippers, I'd use the canvas fabric to fasten the roof sections together.....much like tape is used in Vinay's construction videos. Do you think that would work?

Great imagination on your design.

ConnieH

Post by ConnieH » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:23 pm

jkisha - I recall you saying that you increased the height of your yurt by 2 feet by adding 2 foot panels horizontally, is that correct? How did that work out? Do you have any pictures? I'm considering raising the height of my yurt this year, bending down became a bit of a pain after a week, and my boyfriend kept bonking his head inside...not that it was that big of a deal, but adding a foot or two would make it much more comfortable and would increase the usable living space inside.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:06 pm

No, we thought about doing it, but never did. My partner and I keep arguing about if the 2 foot panels should be on the top or the bottom, or if we should just get new panels and cut them down to 6' and install them in one piece vertically. And on and on it goes...

I have actually seen them on the play done with the 2' bottom section. I've also seen pictures of them done on the playa with 8' panels installed vertically; but have not ever talked to anyone that has had the experience with them.

I also saw the guy that made his yurt with the 4' walls but made a hinged door that was also cut into the roof, with the door opening up and folding onto the roof. I met that guy on the playa and saw the yurt--good idea, but it just didn't work. The whole thing that makes a yurt a yurt is that band--in case of the hexa-yurt, that band that goes around the top of the walls holding the entire structure together--that's what makes it all work.

Wish I could be more helpful.
ConnieH wrote:jkisha - I recall you saying that you increased the height of your yurt by 2 feet by adding 2 foot panels horizontally, is that correct? How did that work out? Do you have any pictures? I'm considering raising the height of my yurt this year, bending down became a bit of a pain after a week, and my boyfriend kept bonking his head inside...not that it was that big of a deal, but adding a foot or two would make it much more comfortable and would increase the usable living space inside.
JK

ConnieH

Post by ConnieH » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:17 pm

seems like we are going through the same thought processes - to me, cutting new ones down to 6' and installing vertically seems more structurally sound, but creates more waste and a bigger "stack" on the car, (although not as long of a package, which may reduce the wind lift, hmmm). My current thought is alternating the 2' additions between top and bottom to distribute the load, taping the additions inside and out, and possibly adding a bracing piece on each wall for extra measure. I agree with you about the band, I want a taller door, but I'm not going to cut into the roof to get it. The 8' tall ones seem too much to me, I don't need it that tall and just more wall area to get pushed by wind.

I appreciate your response...if I try it I'll let you know how it goes.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:23 pm

ConnieH wrote:seems like we are going through the same thought processes - to me, cutting new ones down to 6' and installing vertically seems more structurally sound, but creates more waste and a bigger "stack" on the car, (although not as long of a package, which may reduce the wind lift, hmmm). My current thought is alternating the 2' additions between top and bottom to distribute the load, taping the additions inside and out, and possibly adding a bracing piece on each wall for extra measure. I agree with you about the band, I want a taller door, but I'm not going to cut into the roof to get it. The 8' tall ones seem too much to me, I don't need it that tall and just more wall area to get pushed by wind.

That's an interesting idea about alternating top and bottom. Something else for my partner and I to argue about now!
JK

Aviax

Post by Aviax » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:50 pm

There is great difficulty sourcing TUFF-R or THERMAX up in Canada for some reason.
Has anyone found an effective replacement that won't melt in the rain?

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:45 am

ConnieH wrote:seems like we are going through the same thought processes - to me, cutting new ones down to 6' and installing vertically seems more structurally sound, but creates more waste and a bigger "stack" on the car, (although not as long of a package, which may reduce the wind lift, hmmm). My current thought is alternating the 2' additions between top and bottom to distribute the load, taping the additions inside and out, and possibly adding a bracing piece on each wall for extra measure. I agree with you about the band, I want a taller door, but I'm not going to cut into the roof to get it. The 8' tall ones seem too much to me, I don't need it that tall and just more wall area to get pushed by wind.

We set up three different sizes of hexayurts last year and will again this year, one of which is the version with added half-panels at the bottom making the walls 6' tall. Worked like a charm, no need to alternate panels, was as strong and sturdy as if there was no seam there. I also brought bracing pieces, etc which were completely unnecessary.

ConnieH

Post by ConnieH » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:57 pm

We set up three different sizes of hexayurts last year and will again this year, one of which is the version with added half-panels at the bottom making the walls 6' tall. Worked like a charm, no need to alternate panels, was as strong and sturdy as if there was no seam there. I also brought bracing pieces, etc which were completely unnecessary.
Thanks - good to know!! Did you tape the seam where you added the half-panels on both sides?

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:42 am

Yes - seams taped on both sides in an abundance of caution. BUT the things are so air tight that ventilation is definately necessary. Good furnace filters taped over windows is a needed addition. In the heat, the inside of the yurts was about 20 degrees cooler than the inside of the RV.

Popobumm

Materials in LA/OC area?

Post by Popobumm » Mon May 10, 2010 5:48 pm

Wow, this thread has been a more useful resource than just about every other site / forum I've seen online! Thank you so much!

My friends and I will be first-timers this year, and I am adamant about building a yurt or two. However, I'm having difficulty locating the materials like many do.

Jkisha, do you mind sharing which Home Depot you got your panels from? I live in OC, but work near LAX and am pretty much willing to drive almost anywhere in Socal to get some =P Using the HomeDepot and Lowes websites don't help much...

Also, I really want to keep it simple my first year, but all this talk about modifications and different air cooling methods is so tempting! Do you guys recommend sticking with a basic window/filter for the first time or should I go for the gold with the fancy air conditioning units y'all are discussing? Thanks in advance and can't wait to experience the playa in my own little home :)

sambojones

Post by sambojones » Mon May 10, 2010 6:02 pm

go for an ac if ya can i picked up up one small one from walmart on clearance for like $75 and it has a remote and shit i didn't cut out a window last year and regret it i think i'll add a window with a filter for this year just for some ventilation when i don't want to run the ac at night. i had a hard time finding the boards that i needed and ended up taping together 3/4" with 1/2" panels as the 1" isn't available in in the dallas tx area it worked out very good. Last year i had a stretch yurt this year i'm going for the full size for the extra room cuz my queen size air mattress took up most of the stretch yurt space also i think i'm gonna try and make it 1 or 2 feet taller cuz bending over so much to get in kinda sux and it would be nice to stand taller in it
does this water taste like raspberries or am I still fucked up...oh wait it's raspberry flavored water

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon May 10, 2010 6:21 pm

We got our panels at the Hollywood Home Depot on Sunset Blvd. right off the 101.

Definitely go for the a/c, just don't forget to get a powerful enough generator, as the lose power at that altitude.

Other than cutting the holes for the a/c and ventilation, windows or filters, do not vary from the original design.

JK
JK

Popobumm

Post by Popobumm » Mon May 10, 2010 6:42 pm

[quote="jkisha"]We got our panels at the Hollywood Home Depot on Sunset Blvd, right off the 101.

Definitely go for the a/c, just don't forget to get a powerful enough generator, as they lose power at that altitude.

Other than cutting the holes for the a/c and ventilation, windows or filters, do not vary from the original design.

JK[/quote]

Drat, according to the website it doesn't seem like they carry Tuff-R there...only Rmax and Thermasheath and the pink stuff. The search continues...

I don't plan to vary from the original design other than to perhaps 'connecting' 2 or 3 smaller 6' hexayurts to the main 8' hexayurt. I figure it won't change the structural integrity at all since the only thing I'll be doing is cutting some more door holes where the smaller yurts connect.

How many people fit comfortably in each type of yurt? My guesses are as follows

8' yurt - 4-6
6' yurt - 2
6' stretch - 3

So with a main 8' yurt 'living room' connected to 3 smaller 6' sleeping qtrs, I'm hoping to house 6-10 comfortably. Does this sound feasible?

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon May 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Those R-MAX panels are what we have used for our yurt going on three years now. They are the same panels, just a different manufacturer.

JK
JK

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 pm

Geeze, I can't seem to type from my phone...between my contacts acting up and auto spell check my last two posts were a wreck. Unfortunately, I got quoted before I caught and edited the mistakes.

JK
JK

Popobumm

Post by Popobumm » Mon May 10, 2010 7:39 pm

What mistakes? ;)

Ok great if you've been using them for the past 3 years, I'll take that to mean they're good stuff. Is thermasheath also viable? I don't see any 1" R-Max (only 3/4"), but they do have 1" Thermasheath. Unforunately there are no pictures of them :(

I'm assuming the main thing we're looking for is the R value? R-Max is 5.0 while Thermasheath is 5.9. Does that make Thermasheath better?

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon May 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Definitely don't recommend anything thinner than 1". I'm not familiar with that other product. You should ask them if they can order the 1" R-Max for you.

I'd check the look and feel of the Thermasheath. If it's as rigid as the R-Max and has foil on the front and back it should be ok. The R Value isn't a good indicator, as R value isn't necessarily achieved by rigidity; but if it looks similar to the R-Max it's probably good to use. And all else being equal, the higher R value the better.

We're actually adding a second wing to our yurt this year. We'll use the one with 4' walls as our sleeping and private area, and then the second one will be with 6' high walls and we'll use that for our living/social area. That's the area that will have the A/C, and we'll put a solar powered roof vent fan in the sleeping side to circulate air.

We'll be going to HD sometime in the coming week, so I'll also try and check out that Thermasheath stuff, assuming our store has it.

JK
JK

sambojones

Post by sambojones » Mon May 10, 2010 9:17 pm

Popobumm wrote:What mistakes? ;)

Ok great if you've been using them for the past 3 years, I'll take that to mean they're good stuff. Is thermasheath also viable? I don't see any 1" R-Max (only 3/4"), but they do have 1" Thermasheath. Unforunately there are no pictures of them :(

I'm assuming the main thing we're looking for is the R value? R-Max is 5.0 while Thermasheath is 5.9. Does that make Thermasheath better?
if they have the 3/4" and 1/2" thick panels they can be taped together without using any extra tape as you have to tape the edges of them anyway the 6" tape works great for this the two panels together are very strong it's what i used for my stretch yurt and then for the roof i used only 3/4" panels as i figured it wouldn't be bearing as much force from the wind as the walls and it worked fine. it may be a bit more expensive than just getting the 1" ones tho... definitely try asking if they can order 1" i tried here in dallas but the amount i would have had to order a pallet which is like 50 they wouldn't let me order less

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”