HexaYurts

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:32 am

hello yurt builders, quick question-is rebar the preferred method for anchoring down the hexayurt or will those big tent stakes work just as well? thanks

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:46 am

STEELE tent stakes are better than rebar. You can drive the tent stakes straight in and keep them close (within 3" or so) to the yurt so you don't have to worry about tripping on the tie-downs. Rebar needs to be driven in at an angle which means you have to put them further away from the yurt.

Aluminum tent stakes will not work at all. And make sure you get LONG stakes, those 6" stakes will pull out.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

kman

Post by kman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:16 am

jkisha wrote:STEELE tent stakes are better than rebar. You can drive the tent stakes straight in and keep them close (within 3" or so) to the yurt so you don't have to worry about tripping on the tie-downs. Rebar needs to be driven in at an angle which means you have to put them further away from the yurt.

Aluminum tent stakes will not work at all. And make sure you get LONG stakes, those 6" stakes will pull out.

JK
Playa staples are best... or rebar that's machine-bent to be similar to playa staples.

Regular tent stakes, steel or otherwise, got nuthin' on properly bent hooks that can be pounded nearly flush to the ground, leaving just a small loop above. Easy to pull, too, with any sort of lever.

Rebar should NOT be driven at an angle.

There has been more than one thread on ideal stakes in the past week, including one where an honest-to-god scientific study was done.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:50 pm

ok thanks, guess i will go with the rebar since i probably won't be able to find steel stakes that are long enough around here. I saw the thread on tent stakes/staples but i wanted to know specific to hexayurts.

swami108

Re: Hexayurt Happy Hour!

Post by swami108 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:29 pm

[quote="hexayurt"]Ok, Swami, let's do it!

Can you give me a URL for the event - just someplace I can link to from the hexayurt homepage for people to get more info? You could put it on your camp page or on the hexayurt pages at Appropedia and I'll pop it up on the site ASAP :-)

*Rock*!

Vinay[/quote]

Hi Vinay,

Here is a link to a post on Appropedia about the Burning Man Hexayurt Happy Hour.

http://www.appropedia.org/User_talk:Swami108

Let me know if it works or needs to be in a different format for public viewing.

Thanks so much!
Swami

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:12 am

did a test run on putting the hexayurt together last night. All i gotta say is if there is a contest for the ugliest yurt, i am sure to win. I can't cut a straight line to save my ass. Ah well i guess that is what 6 inch tape is for... :oops: Glad i bought that extra roll.

and damn, didn't think that roof was going to be so big and floppy, but we got it up with only 3 people.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:14 am

lucky420 wrote:did a test run on putting the hexayurt together last night. All i gotta say is if there is a contest for the ugliest yurt, i am sure to win. I can't cut a straight line to save my ass. Ah well i guess that is what 6 inch tape is for... :oops: Glad i bought that extra roll.

and damn, didn't think that roof was going to be so big and floppy, but we got it up with only 3 people.
The height of the roof was a surprise to me too the first time I set it up. (It shouldn't be floppy once it is taped to the walls.)

JK
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:46 am

yeah, once we got the roof on the walls and adjusted it was pretty stable, and we weren't taping it complete-just enough to get the gist of it.

big baby jesus
Burning Since: 2009

3"???

Post by big baby jesus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:52 am

Rmax sells seconds and they currently have 1" and 3" in stock (I posted the details in the resources section [url]http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=35190[/url]) and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the 3"
I haven't built one yet and this will be my first. With 3" foam are there issues related to the angles where the six sides join? Where the roof meets the top? Or can it all be solved with more tape?

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Elderberry

Re: 3"???

Post by Elderberry » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:01 am

big baby jesus wrote:Rmax sells seconds and they currently have 1" and 3" in stock (I posted the details in the resources section http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=35190) and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the 3"
I haven't built one yet and this will be my first. With 3" foam are there issues related to the angles where the six sides join? Where the roof meets the top? Or can it all be solved with more tape?

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.
Just seems like over-kill to me. Heavier than necessary, bulkier to store and transport to the playa, more costly than necessary.

But, that being said, if you have the space and a large transport vehicle--experiment with it and let us know. the 6 inch tape should probably bridge the extra gap that will be created with 3" construction.

Oh, and one last thing--what does "seconds" mean exactly? I don't think you'd want it if it was cracked or broken.

Good luck.

JK
JK

big baby jesus

Post by big baby jesus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:43 pm

"...Just seems like over-kill to me. Heavier than necessary, bulkier to store and transport to the playa, more costly than necessary."

Yeah, I agree with you. I've rented a 10' moving truck, so transportation space isn't a big concern. My local building supplier quoted me $33 a sheet for 1.5" and the seconds are $14, but 3" thick.
$14 here, $15 there... Pretty soon we're talking real money.

The quality of the seconds is something to be explored too. Cosmetic blems are one thing, busted corners are another.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:56 pm

big baby jesus wrote:"...Just seems like over-kill to me. Heavier than necessary, bulkier to store and transport to the playa, more costly than necessary."

Yeah, I agree with you. I've rented a 10' moving truck, so transportation space isn't a big concern. My local building supplier quoted me $33 a sheet for 1.5" and the seconds are $14, but 3" thick.
$14 here, $15 there... Pretty soon we're talking real money.

The quality of the seconds is something to be explored too. Cosmetic blems are one thing, busted corners are another.
We've used the 1" panels with great success. Our Yurt will be making it's third trip to the playa this year; and we are now building another room for it with 6' walls, but still we are using the 1" panels.

I like to experiment with different techniques, etc., but I personally can't see any reason to go with thicker panels. But as I said earlier--nothing wrong with experimenting.

JK
JK

big baby jesus

Post by big baby jesus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:26 pm

JK-
Thanks for the thoughts. What ever savings I might get from buying the seconds, will be offset by having to go out and get them. I found the Thermasheet-3 at my local Home Despot and I'll buy it there. Since you've done this before, I was wondering about the height of the 4' Hexayurt. I'm 6'3" and it looks cramped around the edges, but OK in the middle. Did you build the 4' or the 8' version?

kman

Post by kman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:38 pm

big baby jesus wrote:JK-
Thanks for the thoughts. What ever savings I might get from buying the seconds, will be offset by having to go out and get them. I found the Thermasheet-3 at my local Home Despot and I'll buy it there. Since you've done this before, I was wondering about the height of the 4' Hexayurt. I'm 6'3" and it looks cramped around the edges, but OK in the middle. Did you build the 4' or the 8' version?
I'm 6'3".

The version with the 4' walls is roomier than you'd think. As long as you're standing a few feet away from the walls, you can still stand up. Ducking down to get in through the door is a little more cramped.

I prefer a hybrid version with 6' walls. (Just take 3 extra sheets of sheeting, slice them in half length-wise so you have 2x8 instead of 4x8, and add it to the other walls to make 6' tall walls. Just stagger/offset which boards you add it to for the best strength.) The door can be much taller, and once you're in, it's very roomy inside.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:39 pm

big baby jesus wrote:JK-
We have a 4' version, but at adding a room for the main area that will have the 6' walls. I'm 6' tall but the reason I don't like the 4' is the door is only 3.5' and I'm 62 years old, so I don't like bending over that much if I don't have to. So we'll use the 4' one for sleeping and keeping out clothes in and I'll only have to bend over twice a day! :)

The big one will be our general living area, which will also have an indoor, propane heated shower, along with the other amenities of playa life. :) Both sides will have A/C

JK
JK

big baby jesus

Post by big baby jesus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:58 pm

Thanks!
JK, how are you doing your air conditioning? I was looking at a swamp cooler (less amps, more humidity) instead of an A/C unit. I was going to run it off of a 3k generator and just run the wire inside. I'm curious about venting, from what i can gather, some sort of filter system like A/C or heater filters. Do they clog with sand?

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:31 pm

We install the A/C pretty much the same way you'd install it in a window. We cut out a hole the same size as the A/C and the same height as a milk carton. We stick the A/C through the hole, the weight rests on the milk carton and we stick the foam strips that came with the A/C around to make it a good tight, dust-proof fit.

A more than adequate A/C can be purchased almost anywhere for under $100.00 and will run just fine on your 3K generator. We couldn't even turn up the dial on the A/C past 4 or it got too cold.

We also use/used the furnace filters for ventilation during the evening or whenever we weren't running the A/C, but my partner didn't like them because dust still got through if the wind was strong. Our Yurt has virtually NO dust inside. If any comes in when the door is open, my partner is there with wet-wipes wiping it all up.

Speaking of the door, we do an interesting thing to make that dust proof too. I'm not sure I can explain it in words, but at home depot you can buy this white foam stuff about 1/4" thick or less and about 3-4" wide. We glue it to the wall around the cutout for the door (top and side) on the inside of the yurt so that about 2" overlaps the opening and when the door closes, it closes up against the foam. We do the same thing on the top and side of the outside of the door, so then the foam then extends over the outside of the wall when the door is closed, so dust can't blow through when the door is closed because the foam overlaps on the inside and the outside.

We haven't pulled out the old Yurt yet and haven't started constructing the new one, but when we do, I'll try and snap a picture of the door. I think this is definitely one of those "a picture is worth a thousand words" thing.

JK

JK
JK

big baby jesus

Post by big baby jesus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:11 pm

Thanks for the advice and tips JK, much appreciated. I ordered my tape today and will order the RMax tomorrow. I'll post a picture when I get it finished.

Thanks again!

Valentine247

Post by Valentine247 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:45 am

So my friend and I are planning on using 2 ratchet strap tie downs over the top of our stretch yurt and hooking them to rebar candy cane stakes as our main tie downs...anybody have thoughts on this? We are just trying to have as little stakes to put in and take back out as possible.
http://imgur.com/AbOxJ.jpg

That's a pic of it on our dry run the other day.

WanderLustMan

good source of panels in Bay Area?

Post by WanderLustMan » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Hey guys, been looking to purchase supplies for my yurt this year but can't seem to find a place that sells Thermax or TuffR or whatever panels we can use to build these things.

Anyone have a good source?

Cheers!
WLM

big baby jesus

Post by big baby jesus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:20 pm

There are a couple of places mentioned in this thread. I ordered Rmax from Home Despot. Same type of product.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Jkisha, after reading through a couple times I think I understand your flap(baffle) idea for your door, sounds good. What glue do you recomend for adhering to yurt boards?

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:18 pm

burner von braun wrote:Jkisha, after reading through a couple times I think I understand your flap(baffle) idea for your door, sounds good. What glue do you recomend for adhering to yurt boards?
I think we used gorilla glue that we picked up at HD. But I really don't remember. I usually just read the instructions and try to pick a glue that looks like it might be recommended for those two materials.

JK
JK

mikep_95133

Post by mikep_95133 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:15 am

[quote="burner von braun"]Jkisha, after reading through a couple times I think I understand your flap(baffle) idea for your door, sounds good. What glue do you recomend for adhering to yurt boards?[/quote]

I used Liquid Nails adhesive for gluing canvas to the Rmax boards on my yurt. The caulking tube was gold and blue. Has held up well for weeks of outdoor usage over the last 14 months.

Mike

Key Man

Post by Key Man » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:57 am

I too am building a Hexayurt this year, am in the final stages right now. Actually, I bought the panels early last year and was ready to go but there was a family emergency, so I had to cancel the whole trip. This year is on for sure, though!

I'm going with the standard 8 foot model and got all the panels from a foam shop here in Burbank that stocks them. They did the big diagonal cuts for me, but I need to bevel them myself. I like the big orange ground sticks from Home Depot, hopefully the local store has them in stock.

I plan to do a couple of small filter windows. Not sure about the door yet, but I think I'll do proper hinges with thin plywood backing. No swamp cooler or A/C because were in AEZ, which (bless them) does not allow noisy stinking generators. (I do have a solar system, but it's not quite beefy enough to run a swamp cooler.)

We'll be doing the final assembly on Tuesday at the park. Great to see all the Hexayurt enthusiasm here. Kman, your yurt looks superb and I'm jealous of the height! (Maybe I'll "expand" next year.) Hello to the Kman from the Key Man.

See y'all on the Playa!

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:23 am

Key Man wrote:I too am building a Hexayurt this year, am in the final stages right now. Actually, I bought the panels early last year and was ready to go but there was a family emergency, so I had to cancel the whole trip. This year is on for sure, though!

I'm going with the standard 8 foot model and got all the panels from a foam shop here in Burbank that stocks them. They did the big diagonal cuts for me, but I need to bevel them myself. I like the big orange ground sticks from Home Depot, hopefully the local store has them in stock.

I plan to do a couple of small filter windows. Not sure about the door yet, but I think I'll do proper hinges with thin plywood backing. No swamp cooler or A/C because were in AEZ, which (bless them) does not allow noisy stinking generators. (I do have a solar system, but it's not quite beefy enough to run a swamp cooler.)

We'll be doing the final assembly on Tuesday at the park. Great to see all the Hexayurt enthusiasm here. Kman, your yurt looks superb and I'm jealous of the height! (Maybe I'll "expand" next year.) Hello to the Kman from the Key Man.

See y'all on the Playa!
BEVEL?!?!?!?!?!?!

Nothing needs to be beveled.

And if you make your door hinge with 6" tape, you'll be fine. With the door closed, tape down the hinge side. Open the door and again with 6" tape, tape the other (back side) of the hinge. Our door has lasted going on three years now.

JK
JK

Key Man

Post by Key Man » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:04 am

I know that nothing NEEDS to be beveled, but I have read that many people bevel the joining edges for a tighter fit and improved strength. Seems like a fair amount of extra work, but I plan to do it.

Might go your easier route on the door though again, I've read (on this thread) that some take it a step further.

thk127

Post by thk127 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:08 am

Might be off topic, but what size RU all building?

I'm going for a 8' tall. 12 sheets of 8'x4'
-=First Burning Man 2010=-

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:17 am

thk127 wrote:Might be off topic, but what size RU all building?

I'm going for a 8' tall. 12 sheets of 8'x4'
We have one with 4' walls and are adding another room with 6' walls.

This is probably just in my head, but 8' walls gives a lot of exposure to the wind, so a bit worried about that. Plus, depending on how you run your wall panels, it's more difficult to raise the roof 8'. And the highest part of the ceiling is going to be really, really high.

We went with the new 6' room so that the door is a bit higher which makes entry easier for me. I'll only have to duck under the shorter door to go to bed. So I can handle that twice a day! :)

So, I guess I'm still dubious on 8' walls--but who knows, next year we might add a third room with 8' walls--or figure out how to put a second story on the thing!!! Oh the possibilities.

JK
JK

thk127

Post by thk127 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:30 am

jkisha wrote:
thk127 wrote:Might be off topic, but what size RU all building?

So, I guess I'm still dubious on 8' walls--but who knows, next year we might add a third room with 8' walls--or figure out how to put a second story on the thing!!! Oh the possibilities.
A second story! LOL now that would be prone to wind damage.

That sounds like an awesome yert! It would be cool if i could stop by and see it. This is my first time building one so i'm expecting things to not go as well as planned. I'm bringing a tent just in case.

The highest point on my Yert is 8'. The main walls are only 4'. I'm guessing that the basic Yert right? :?:
-=First Burning Man 2010=-

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”