Folding Hexayurt

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
StarShineScars

Folding Hexayurt

Post by StarShineScars » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:30 pm

This year we're planning on building a hexayurt seeing as last year's sleeping in the back of a truck didn't fan out so well. But we've been looking into doing the folding design so that set up is easier for just the two of us. Has anyone attempted the feat of making one of these? And if so, any helpful suggestions for the process?

Thanks!!

cutmeoffandcallmeshorty

Post by cutmeoffandcallmeshorty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:10 pm

PM me for info about a "yurt " workshop in the Oakland bay area in the next month or so, This is still in the planning stage at this point and will be anounced shortly.

Regards, Shorty :twisted:
"Tis better to be well disliked,
Than not liked at all."
Ned Kelly, 1884, Australian Outlaw.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:06 pm

We did a hexayurt last year and will never go to BM without it ever again. In fact, this year we are going to be adding a wing--maybe too.

I don't know if the movies are on-line anymore, but the Indian guy that invented the hexayurt had a movie of them assembling and "trying" to setup the 'folding' model. They were having a really hard time getting it to work properly.

Which is primarily why we opted for the standard model. It sets up really easily--even on the playa. (as long as it's not too windy)

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:06 pm

wow, the folding hexayurt video (flash slideshow?) made me think of an old canvas market umbrella I have somewhere (meaning somebody else has it... so I guess it could really be gone) has anybody ever used one of these for a small yurt lid, er ceiling, er top?

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”