Gazebo Question

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
RedheadBarbie

Gazebo Question

Postby RedheadBarbie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:00 pm

This isn't about my shade structure for BM, I make that with pvc. At home I have one of those metal gazebos from Home Despot in the $300 range. It is on it's second season and it is crap. All of the material is shredded from the Texas wind which is similar at times to playa wind. I have new canvas, not the crappy thin stuff they put on it. It's a step down from Sunbrella since I didn't know how long the frame would last. I was wondering if instead of a two part roof like they come with, would it last longer if I made each triangle panel separate? The roof peak is made up of 8 triangles if you ignore the vent which I will retain. The wind could pass more easily, no? Or is it just that much quicker to shred the smaller pieces? And I know I'd be giving up the rain barrier but it's Texas, we don't get a lot and I'm not out there in the rain.

Here's a similar one, except mine has the fancy corner shelves.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... yID=503219

Thanks in advance!

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:14 pm

A local tarp & awning shoppe could sew something for you.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:44 am

Its flapping that tears up canvas. Whatever you use, make it tight and it will last longer.

RedheadBarbie

Postby RedheadBarbie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:48 am

I sew, upholster, and basically anything else with cloth or that will fit under my presser. I've done boat cushions and a few other canvas and vinyl projects so it's not a big deal. Here they would charge me $500-1000 to sew it. I'm too close to the sailboat, yacht club area. For anyone who has thought about a similar project, you can get a used heavy weight machine for $200-400. I am waiting until I'm ready to restore my boat, so maybe never the way I get around to projects.

Thank you though. I think maybe I'll stick with the original shape and just make sure it's tighter. I think they didn't make the other fabric more taught because it was so light and thin it would rip.

mrs yow

Postby mrs yow » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:38 pm

Barbie,
I am pretty sure that your original idea has merit. If you give the wind a way to get through, your roof should last longer. I would reinforce the places where tarp is attached to metal, and finish the edges well.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”