Need to find Cheap Shade Structure

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Prospero's Ghost

Need to find Cheap Shade Structure

Post by Prospero's Ghost » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:28 am

Hey there,
2nd year here, but planning on bringing several virgins with me all the way from NYC. Last year I hooked up with some friends in San Fran who already had a shade structure. Not an option this year. We will be flying into Reno this year and need to find something. Any ideas on finding a shade structure that is relatively cheap that we can find here on the East Coast? Thanks in advance.
Can't wait to come back...

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:35 am

No I don't, but I'll bump the thread up for you.
:)

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:22 pm

Thanks to Bob there are many solutions here

http://www.geocities.com/potatotrap/tech/bluetarp.htm
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

phil

Post by phil » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:57 pm

This is us in '97:

We cut fabric to the size we wanted and made a couple of side flaps. Metal grommets on the edges. Ten-foot tall 2x2 stakes and guyed it up. I think it blew down a couple of times, but nothing broke and we just set it up again. Having a couple of extra stakes wouldn't hurt. Rebar in the ground to guy it.

You can fly in with the fabric and buy your stakes at a local lumber or hardware store when you get your other supplies. The burn the stakes before you leave. :->

Generally, if you have fabric to fly in with and supports that you buy in Reno, you don't have to pack poles, which saves weight and space. But be sure you can put the shade up back home. The playa is not the time to do it for the first time.

Prospero's Ghost

Post by Prospero's Ghost » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:14 pm

Hmmmmm....
That might be an idea.
I think that we will be able to find something here.
I keep thinking about the storm that we had on Saturday last year and I want to be prepared.
As much as I try and emphasize having a stable structure to the people that are coming with me this year, I don't know that they get it...
But this gives me a couple of good ideas.
Thanks!

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:44 pm

I would MAKE SURE that the people that are coming with you are taking it serious enough to actually read and read again the survival guide. If they aren't serious enough make the effort to prepare, there is one thing I can guarantee for sure--they will FUCK UP YOUR BURN REAL GOOD!

JK
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:56 pm

Believe Jkisha when he says people who don't understand can FUCK UP YOUR BURN...

Last Year we had a really big pop up type shade structure- what we did was park it next to the white cargo van 'Free Bird' then we took a big blue tarp and covered everything UP (every thing was the van and 4 small tents, a med. tent for the shower and closet room, and a big tent) WE had plenty of room and were able to sleep in-
-it did however get really sauna like at about 1pm -
- it also made it so in the really big Dust Storms we had a calm place to hang-
THis worked and held fairly well even in the worst of the storms...

I'm a blonde so I can't figure out how to load a pic- But you can go on to myspace/spoiledgirlcherie and see pics of our camp last year.

IF I were going to do it again I would get elastic rope soooo it would have some give and would have duck taped the gromits better.

I would NOT suggest this type of Shade Structure IF YOU did not make camps as a child.

If you have a little more money the way to go is the military webbing shade over the top of maybe a popup... make sure you GET lots of rebar

I have also in the past used the rain fly and the insides of veryy large tents- I set up tent close to car and made a little shade area/bath tub area
by using a rain fly as the tarp over top-
AGAIN if you did NOT make Camps
as A child this idea is NOT recommend either...

Are you going all in one Car?? Because if you had two you could do something in between the cars and use them as anchors....

anyways Good LucK !!! yOu can always and camp close to 9:15 and second to the last ring and use Blackie's Bar & Grill as your shade!!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

Prospero's Ghost

Post by Prospero's Ghost » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:18 am

Thanks for the advice. That is something that concerns me a bit. I am not one to preach about BM unless asked. Unless you have been there, no one can really seem to relate unless they "get it." As soon as these friends were interested in hearing more I filled them in. They all wanted to go. They were all really excited and yet, as time goes on, they are not really involved in the planning. As soon as I start to talk and plan, I find that I am the only one making the effort.

I have a feeling that the plans might fall apart. Hence the question on a relatively "cheap" structure. I don't want to invest in something only to have everyone crap out at the last minute and I am stuck...

That would suck...

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:24 am

Since you're flying into Reno you have the opportunity to visit Twin City Surplus- I like going there so much that even after driving all the way out from Michigan I can manage to NOT turn at 447 but instead go the extra few miles on to Reno just to wander around their yards. Odds are that they would have as much or as little shade/shelter as you need, although they DO get depleted by burners before the event.
You don't probably want to invest in an EZ-Up or expensive, bulky structure unless you can divest yourself of it before the return flight...Somebody might welcome it as a donation, but just leaving it on the playa is verboten and just throwing it away is stupid and wasteful. (There are places to donate stuff in the Paiute communities around Pyramid Lake though, I believe.)
I'm assuming that you plan to rent a vehicle at Reno- Advance booking is probably smart given the large demand, and you might want to shop around for something large enough to offer a little shade OR at least something with a roof rack that you could then use to anchor some 2x4s and shade fabric. (Dimensional lumber CAN be left on the playa, at Burners Without Borders collection sites which are listed in your literature.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:15 am

Do your friends even have their tickets yet? I'm guessing no. I don't think I'd waste any more of my time planning for them.

Here's an idea for a shade structure--you could buy material there and wood somewhere in Reno.

http://wiki.disorient.info/index.php?title=Delta_Shade

JK
JK

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:28 am

Might be worth getting involved in whatever regional entities exist wherever you are, to get info on shared rental truck space, advice & whatnot.

http://regionals.burningman.com/
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Prospero's Ghost

Post by Prospero's Ghost » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:55 am

I think that the Regionals will be my next step. There are a number of Happy Hours out here in NYC where I am sure to meet up with some people who will have some ideas about resources.

I am going to try one more time I think with one of my friends in particular and see what happens. If it doesn't work then it wasn't meant to be.

Last year was all about community for me. I want to share that with people and bring it outside of the Burn. Know what I mean? I met some great people while there last year and I would like to share that experience with as many of my friends as possible.

I don't know that I would be ready to go it alone or with people I just met. Not at that point with myself as of yet. I don't know. Maybe trying to fit round pegs into a square hole which is entirely possible.

I realize this thread has taken a bit of a turn from "cheap shade structure" so I apologize for this bit of venting. Just frustrated...

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:05 am

Speaking from personal experience, no matter how much you have fallen in love with the event, it is IMPOSSIBLE to convey this to others that have never been there.

Some of my friends already know about the event, some never heard about it until I mentioned it. Those in the first category obviously never found it to be something they wanted to actually do and the second category don't have a clue to begin with and just look at me strange whenever I talk about it.

It's sort of like religion--you have to be drawn to it on your own; and it's not something you constantly try to cram down someone's throat, no matter how gently you try or how strongly you believe they should go. (Or maybe more importantly, because you don't have the courage or confidence to go to the event on your own.)

JK
JK

Prospero's Ghost

Post by Prospero's Ghost » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks. That is a totally fair statement that I can appreciate. If it were simply up to me I think I would go by myself. My wife, on the other hand, doesn't get it, never will get it, doesn't want to get it, and doesn't like that I get it. If I go with people that she knows, it makes it a little easier on the Home Front.

I totally agree with what you are saying though. I really try to be careful when talking to people about it. It is a bit like religion and I don't want to come across like some convert or zealot.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:36 am

Prospero's Ghost wrote:Thanks. That is a totally fair statement that I can appreciate. If it were simply up to me I think I would go by myself. My wife, on the other hand, doesn't get it, never will get it, doesn't want to get it, and doesn't like that I get it. If I go with people that she knows, it makes it a little easier on the Home Front.

I totally agree with what you are saying though. I really try to be careful when talking to people about it. It is a bit like religion and I don't want to come across like some convert or zealot.
If your wife doesn't get it and doesn't want you to go, you are kidding yourself if you think the end result will be any different if you go with some people she knows or if you just go on your own. Either way, she will be resentful that you actually did go! (How dare you do something you enjoy and leave me here at home to stew in my own misery while you're out having fun and doing who knows what?)

Maybe you could get her a ticket to some resort for the time you are scheduled to go to BM? So she's having a good time doing something she can enjoy too. (Oh, let me guess, she can't have a good time on her own--with out you being there.)

JK
JK

djaded

Post by djaded » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:43 pm

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/No ... oduct.html

Reinforce the fabric with some heavy duty gaffers tape and stake it with rebar and you are good to go.
It's those Swedes again....get the hose.

Prospero's Ghost

Post by Prospero's Ghost » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:01 pm

You are right.
I am coming...one way or another.

Thanks for the link to the tent at Overstock. That is actually what my camp used last year. I think I will explore that idea and Phil's set up from 97. Obviously this changes quite a bit if I go by myself or just with one other person.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:25 pm

Prospero's Ghost wrote: I am going to try one more time I think with one of my friends in particular and see what happens. If it doesn't work then it wasn't meant to be.

I realize this thread has taken a bit of a turn from "cheap shade structure" so I apologize for this bit of venting. Just frustrated...

Are you kidding? We love thread drift :D

PG, only your friends can make the decision to go, if they want to bad enough. If they've not committed at this point, chances are they won't. And that is not a bad thing. You've been there, you know what it's like and what it can be like. And yes, your correct in saying that it can't be understood till you get there. Going yourself can be daunting, especially from that far away. Have you considered Stag Camp? And don't tell me you can't hook up with other burners in NYC tween now and the burn. :D Start hooking up now, you;ll be bff's before you know it :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:07 pm

there's a sierra trading post in reno. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,881 ... lter-.html

robotland

Post by robotland » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:17 am

Elorrum wrote:there's a sierra trading post in reno. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,881 ... lter-.html
Dang! NOW I'll have to leave Michigan ANOTHER few hours earlier next year so I can visit there AND Twin City Surplus! Any OTHER good stops in Reno?
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Prospero's Ghost

Post by Prospero's Ghost » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:24 am

That structure at Sieera looks interesting. Given the size of it, I wonder if you could put it up, set a tent up inside of it where the corners cover the support lines across the bottom, and then rebar the tent. The tent corners would extend a bit beyond the structure, but the majority of the tent would be covered and the structure would stay in place as well. Hmmmmmm..... 12 x 12 might be large enough for a 2 person operation. Am I crazy with this thought?

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:20 am

Ya know If your JUST looking to sleep in- No worried about sitting under the shade (makes It sOooo you have to go meet people and explore dduring the heat of the DAY)

My virgin year (HAd no clue What I was getting into- went by my self- FInd I meet WAY more people that way) anyway I brought this tarp and pole thing ( I think -It was suppose to look like Phil's red thing) that I couldn't get to stand UP

(all the while the guys across the street are taking bets of HOW Long Is Barbie Staying in BRC)

over my small tent sooooooo what I did was make take the tarp and -make a triangle - L shaped- burrito type thing over and partly under my tent used poles to keep the front porch area up

It was only about a foot of room above the tent and a couple feet each side.
I have done alot of various shade stuff over the years ANd I think that that my VIrgin Camp has worked the best for sleeping in factor (thats being able to still have a blanket on ya at 10am) Put my frozen water bottles on either side - kept them iced for days- with regular switching of the coolers!!!
THe Boys across the Street (Blackie's Bar & Grill) still laugh at my campsssss........ ANd I still use their SHADE!

phil

Post by phil » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:28 am

anyway I brought this tarp and pole thing ... that I couldn't get to stand UP
I'd like to repeat: whatever you bring, practice setting it up beforehand so that you don't have to do it the first time on the playa. That way lies madness, divorce, murder, and mayhem.

Or you can get some of the abundant help from passers by, assuming the thing you bring will achieve erection ("stand UP"). While I never rely on the kindness of strangers, that kindness is almost always there. Almost. If you don't know how to get it up, it may be that no volunteer will hang around long enough for you to read the instructions, pound in rebar, discover you did it wrong, pull rebar, etc.

> ( I think -It was suppose to look like Phil's red thing)

I consider it Louise's red thing as well.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:34 am

Ohhhhh I was able to get it to stand in the YARD!!!!

I just wasn't able to get it to stand on the PLAYA with the wind blowing at a steady 30mph....

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:26 pm

Barbie wrote:Ohhhhh I was able to get it to stand in the YARD!!!!

I just wasn't able to get it to stand on the PLAYA with the wind blowing at a steady 30mph....
LOL been there...the secret to setting up anything on the playa when the wind is blowing at a steady 30mph is to wait until the wind stops! Although by using that technique you will be depriving your neighbors of the show and wagering opportunities.

JK
JK

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:55 pm

jkisha wrote:
Prospero's Ghost wrote:Thanks. That is a totally fair statement that I can appreciate. If it were simply up to me I think I would go by myself. My wife, on the other hand, doesn't get it, never will get it, doesn't want to get it, and doesn't like that I get it. If I go with people that she knows, it makes it a little easier on the Home Front.

If your wife doesn't get it and doesn't want you to go, you are kidding yourself if you think the end result will be any different if you go with some people she knows or if you just go on your own. Either way, she will be resentful that you actually did go! (How dare you do something you enjoy and leave me here at home to stew in my own misery while you're out having fun and doing who knows what?)
That depends on the wife. Some are perfectly happy to go a week without their man, especially if it means they get to go off and do something fun in return. Seriously, if I had a wife who'd stew like that, I wouldn't have her long.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:36 pm

yes, I think the tripod would work as a tent cover, it sort of looks like a huge rainfly. It would cover a dome shaped tent. 8 ft. clearance. I've used the kelty version two years running as a shade hang out and it's held up well. It packs up smaller than an ez-up, about three feet long by 8-10 inches dia. the abo gear version for less than 50 bucks is less than half of what the kelty cost at a discount. I bought a northpole mentioned on this thread last year, but did not take it. It is a lot heavier and larger packed up than the tripod, and I was a little concerned about how to guy it out. With more time to fiddle with the rigging, I'll bring it this year if it fits in my small car along with all my other ya ya .

nightingale

Going without your mate

Post by nightingale » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:20 pm

Sometimes in your life you just have to do make a choice and do WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. and that is what I am doing. My partner was flat told....he wasn't invited. Because I didn't want to go with him, even if he did want to go. I told him, that he is too judgmental and narrow minded and I did not want him to dampen my experience. Yeah he is a bit resentful, but too bad. he tends to be a very negative person. And that is not where I want to be. This experience is for me. I really am a nice person. He does have a problem he wants to go everywhere with me, and I like my space. such as life.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Re: Going without your mate

Post by ibdave » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:36 am

nightingale wrote:Sometimes in your life you just have to do make a choice and do WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. and that is what I am doing. My partner was flat told....he wasn't invited. Because I didn't want to go with him, even if he did want to go. I told him, that he is too judgmental and narrow minded and I did not want him to dampen my experience. Yeah he is a bit resentful, but too bad. he tends to be a very negative person. And that is not where I want to be. This experience is for me. I really am a nice person. He does have a problem he wants to go everywhere with me, and I like my space. such as life.
Good for you laying it out like that.. Seen a few on-Playa melt downs.. :idea: :idea: :idea:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:47 am

Harbor Freight has a cheap carport:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=92928
Not sure if it's sturdy enough.

Q: How can I paint the sides of this thing? Is it vinyl or nylon fabric?

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”