Tents and stuff

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Sand_man

Tents and stuff

Post by Sand_man » Tue May 12, 2009 6:49 pm

Howdy. 2009 will be my third year at BRC and for the first time I'm going not going solo. I will have about 7 virgins with me and I'm really looking forward to bringing folks out to see the amazingness of it all.
When I've got in the past I have completely skipped the tent issue and slept in the back of my pickup. I'm wanting to get a bunch of small tents and make a little town out of them so everyone has there own space, but I need them to be the uber sturdy kind. I know there's a million bits of info on this subject but I thought I'd just ask. Thanks!

phil

Post by phil » Tue May 12, 2009 7:05 pm

The problem is you'll get a couple of dozen answers, all different.

I'd say anybody who's been three years has a good a judgment as anyone else. You've been through a couple of years with bad winds and bad dust. Have a few back up poles, some pole repair tools, and have fun.

Sounds like you're going to have a blast.

Sand_man

Post by Sand_man » Tue May 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Oh of course!

And extra rebar. :D

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Tue May 12, 2009 9:19 pm

pfft
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Tue May 12, 2009 11:23 pm

I've had good luck with a little cheap ass umbrella tent, easy to put up and no great loss if something happens to it, I use the big yellow tent pegs which hold it securely especiallly if I put some weight in the tent.

Sand_man

Post by Sand_man » Wed May 13, 2009 4:38 am

Fantastic stuff Toolmaker. Thanks!

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Wed May 13, 2009 11:48 am

Don't forget these...

http://www.appropedia.org/Hexayurt_playa

The tents are the easiest...but ya know they turn into ovens shortly after sunrise. Set up some kind of common use shade structure...or camp next to someone that does... :D
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Sat May 16, 2009 3:49 pm

Thanks Toolmaker.......the Guide Gear® 18x18' Teepee Tent looks really cool......have you seen one in use?

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Sat May 16, 2009 8:06 pm

flatlander13 wrote:Thanks Toolmaker.......the Guide Gear® 18x18' Teepee Tent looks really cool......have you seen one in use?

Flatlander, you thinking about upgrading this year?? Or is this going to be a piss shack? :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sat May 16, 2009 9:44 pm

flatlander13 wrote:Thanks Toolmaker.......the Guide Gear® 18x18' Teepee Tent looks really cool......have you seen one in use?
I have one myself but am only bringing the 10x10 lodge this year. The teepee is indeed an awesome thing for the price and really roomy but too heavy for me to ship. I like the lodge better on playa because all the windows can be zipped and there is NO MESH thats not covered as is with many dome tents and such. Only drawback is with the damn thing so sealed from dust its even more of an oven during the day. I'm not the sort to sleep in the tent during the daytime so it works for me. A nighttime person might not want to do the lodge unless they bring an A/C and genny. It does have BIG windows on 3 sides and the door with mesh so it can be ventilated alot really quick. Another thing I like about the lodge is the single 2 piece pole in the center. No flimsy rods to snap on ya or otherwise get fucked. One pole and guy lines keep it nice, even in higher winds it'll stay up with proper lines done. Worst case scenario the poles comes down and you slide it back up when you get home.

In all seriousness.. if you're gonna do a teepee you may want to make your own if you can swing the added costs. While the "guide gear" line is great for the price better can be handmade.

http://simplydifferently.org/

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:16 pm

Thanks again Toolmaker.......as for ibDave......hell yes I'm upgrading.......my last tent is so small that even I who at the giant height of nearly 5' 8" can not stand up in it......so ya new tent.......

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Toolmaker.....thanks for the Lodge info.....that looks like the tent to have. What you said about the ability to seal the thing up is what I'm looking for. I've had enough with duct taped vents.....The 10' x 10' sound great......thanks.

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:27 pm

OK....really this is the last time......Toolmaker......have you used the Lodge on at BM in the wind? The only review I read about the Lodge was on Amazon and the guy who wrote it said it wasn't good in wind.....?

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sun May 17, 2009 9:08 pm

flatlander13 wrote:OK....really this is the last time......Toolmaker......have you used the Lodge on at BM in the wind? The only review I read about the Lodge was on Amazon and the guy who wrote it said it wasn't good in wind.....?
Past 2 years but I did use vehicles as windbreaks and use rebar for the guy lines. I think with any structure a shitty staking job will end in ruin. The thing about reviews on the internet is they are like assholes, everyone has one etc etc. I found the high point nice for wind to go around rather than have something with more flat wall surfaces like a yurt or big cabin tent. Hopefully I won't have to test it in an Alpha type condition on the playa. I think I have a friend coming with me to drive out and back in my truck. If this happens it will be a teepee year with lots more room an a comfortable personal camp space for a change. And bikes.. ohh how nice it'll be to be able to have a bike.. and a big ass cooler.. ohh to be able to keep a case o fat tire on ice.

In 07 there was ONE night where the center pole was down.. not a big deal with proper guy lines and good staking. I think some drunk actually fell on the tent trying to cut through the camp to get somewhere. I'm bringin those Nite-Ize Figure 9 guy line aids this year. I'm pretty confident that if the lines do get a little loose that these will allow for quick and easy tightening. For 10 bucks it won't kill me if they don't work.

If I could swing it I would bring a big ass dome with a chute covering it but domes aren't light and even in pieces they take up alot of room and weight.

Another nice thing about sportsmansguide is their return policy. You can grab something and if it doesn't strike yer fancy just send it back.

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:51 am

Yo Toolmaker.......my Guide Gear® 10x10' Teepee Tent will arrive today....I went with the Teepee Tent because it had a lot of places to secure it to the ground.

Thanks for you help with tents.

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:51 pm

Yo Toolmaker.......I'm sending back my Guide Gear® 10x10' Teepee Tent. I put it up today and discovered that the floor is not permanently attached to the body of the tent......leaving very large gaps for playa dust or a drunk or a car to roll through the tent.

I'm exchanging this tent for the Guide Gear® Single - pole Wigwam Tent. Same designe except it has a permanently attached bathtub style floor. It only has one window and one vent which can be closed. The door zips shut completly which the door on the Teepee Tent won't do.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”