Hexayurt questions

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Sync

Hexayurt questions

Post by Sync » Wed May 20, 2009 7:45 pm

The Hexayurt shelters look like a great option for the playa. I’ve done the burn car camping, in tents with various shade structures, but these things look great. There seems to be plenty of instructions on how to make them, but I’m having problems finding the materials. I live in the SF bay area, and went to the Home depot as suggested, but did not find the nice shiny insulation panels in the pictures. I was wondering if anyone knows where the best places to buy them are in this area, and where the 6â€

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Thu May 21, 2009 12:52 am

Well, I don't live in the Bay area (over 2,000 miles away, actually), but around here it seems to be only once in a great while Home Depot actually has what me (or pretty much anyone I know) is looking for.... Maybe you need to try a different chain?

Around here it would be Farm+Fleet, Fleet+Farm (apparently the founder's two sons didn't get along and split the original chain between them), Menards, and probably some others I am forgetting. I don't know what chains are available in your area (I'm pretty certain F+F is regional, and Menards is national). Also, a non-chain store might be willing to order the stuff you are looking for. Finally, computer searches (sometimes) turn up relevant information-- it is just a matter of wading through whatever the d---ed machine thinks you were really looking for! ( :roll: )

Hopefully, someone else from your area will be able to give you better, and more specific, answers.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

cutmeoffandcallmeshorty

Post by cutmeoffandcallmeshorty » Thu May 21, 2009 1:04 am

Hello there Sync. The stuff you need is available at Truit and White Lumber in Berkeley lacated on Hearst st between 2nd and 4th Street.
PM me offline as a group of us are trying to put together a "build a yurt" workshop here in the next few weeks if you are interested.
twoupking@aol.com.
Regards Shorty...
"Tis better to be well disliked,
Than not liked at all."
Ned Kelly, 1884, Australian Outlaw.

SilverOrange

Post by SilverOrange » Thu May 21, 2009 5:07 am

Hello, here's a large hexayurt thread, you might be able to find the answers you are looking for there, or at least the names of what you are looking for so you can do a search.

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=26890

ConnieH

Post by ConnieH » Thu May 21, 2009 7:52 am

You may not find it on the rack at any home supply company, I had to special order my panels from a local lumber yard. It was easy, just a phone call, they ordered it from their supplier (which around here was Boise Cascade), it was in 2 days later. There's a link in the other thread on where to order the tape. I ordered 3 rolls of the 6" for taping the yurt together, and 3 rolls of 3" for taping the edges in order to save on cost. The 3" was half the price and I couldn't see wasting 6" for 1" edges, especially when the 6" in going to go over the top of the seams during construction anyhow.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”