Walkin Camping

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
RedheadBarbie

Walkin Camping

Post by RedheadBarbie » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:24 am

OK, I am concerned about pulling the teardrop camper right now with the vehicle situation so in order to make the treck I'm considering tenting. Anyone out there who has camped out in the back 40?

The camper is mega sound proofed and up on tires. With a tent should one only go with a cot to be off the ground? If you walk way out does the noise eventually fade away somewhat? Or would I need to walk to Reno to find a quieter spot?

I'm really leaning towards selling the tickets and waiting for next year when the El Camino lovingly named El Guapo has an engine.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:55 am

We tent it in Hushville and I only need the earplugs every other night.

dr.placebo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:39 am

I've been camping in the walk-in area for several years. There are tradeoffs involved. It's quieter, but more exposed to the wind. There's more space, but a lot farther to walk or ride when you want to get into the middle. The potties are generally farther away, but the most remote ones are cleaner.

I sleep in a tent and I like to have a camp cot. Shade can be a real issue unless you bring some kind of shade structure, so I've started to bring an 18' dome (I camp with a group of friends).

If noise is really a problem for you then give the walk-in area a try. The downsides can be handled.

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:19 pm

I have camped in Hushville for a couple years and it is quiet except when Anti M is going off on somebody. I have camped near walk in camping and have considered it as an option. It is quieter on the outer edges of the city. For sleeping I have used an inflatable matress, it is comfortable anda few pumps every couple of days keeps it up.

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:47 pm

Speaking as a person who annoys the shit out of my campmates because I go to bed early at Burning Man........I thought that you were supposed to stay up late and boogie oogie oogie until you can't boogy oogie no more......so why would you want quite at night? Just wondering.

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:45 pm

We were at 545 and Jeep last year, very quiet, except for the faint sound of the virgin bell (which I enjoyed) It was also pretty close to the potties. The only bad thing was we took the full brunt of the monday wind. It came straight at us with nothing to break it all day. Toward the end of the week it did start to get a little louder with more people coming in, but I'd bet thats true anywhere.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

sun4all

Post by sun4all » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:22 pm

Walkin camping can be very quiet but as others have said, it is exposed to the wind. We often camp just across from walkin camping in a minvan. The minivan takes care of the wind issue. You might be able to find a friendly large vehicle or RV owner that will let you camp in the 'wind shade' of the rig. We have found the wind/dust/confort issue to be enough of a problem that we are considering a camper van for Burning Man.

RedheadBarbie

Post by RedheadBarbie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:02 pm

I made a quonset hut type shade last year and it should hold. We camped on the edge, next to walk-in camping but the noise was still pretty yowling at times. Blow-up matress, I have, except it kills my back. A cot may be better, or just a different agony.

And yes, I go to bed early. I am out roaming the city at the butt crack of dawn. I look like I should be raving it up all night but deep down inside I'm Walter Matthau.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:58 pm

RedheadBarbie wrote:I made a quonset hut type shade last year and it should hold. We camped on the edge, next to walk-in camping but the noise was still pretty yowling at times. Blow-up matress, I have, except it kills my back. A cot may be better, or just a different agony.

And yes, I go to bed early. I am out roaming the city at the butt crack of dawn. I look like I should be raving it up all night but deep down inside I'm Walter Matthau.
Thats funny, im going to bed or getting off work at BM about the time you get up

Redhead - your WWW link is broken.

gypsy68
Burning Since: 2004

Post by gypsy68 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:41 pm

A friend in my camp built a platform for a mattress. She used 4x4’s and plywood, it was big enough to hold a twin size mattress. Every year she buys a new plastic cover for the mattress. It works pretty well for her.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:26 am

I think a nice cot w/ a thin pad on top would be good. A friend uses one & swears by them.. something about not having to get up and down off the ground. Makes sense. && you don't have to worry about losing air in a cot. :)
don't forget to floss

mikesieben

Post by mikesieben » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:58 am

Are the nonstop sentence fragments bothering anyone else, or is it just me????????

Boijoy

Post by Boijoy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:43 pm

it's just you... perhaps you should start your own thread... " posts in perfect sentence structure only" or.. " posts with perfect spelling only ".. or " posts that don't bug me " or... " shit only I like " or.. something like that... :roll:
don't forget to floss

mikesieben

Post by mikesieben » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:04 pm

Boijoy wrote:it's just you... perhaps you should start your own thread... " posts in perfect sentence structure only" or.. " posts with perfect spelling only ".. or " posts that don't bug me " or... " shit only I like " or.. something like that... :roll:
These are good ideas, thanks!

Upon reflection i realized that I am in a cranky mood today.

Sigh.

Boijoy

Post by Boijoy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:28 pm

I was actually fond of the " shit only I like " thread idea. :)
don't forget to floss

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:46 pm

Whatever you do, DON'T do the Walken camping.
[youtube][/youtube]
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mikesieben

Post by mikesieben » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:39 pm

Boijoy wrote:I was actually fond of the " shit only I like " thread idea. :)
It's solid.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:36 am

Just bring the cowbell, baby.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”