Need some help!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
the_duskah

Need some help!

Post by the_duskah » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:48 am

So I'm heading a team of about 15 and we're setting up our first major camp. The camp is going to be called Slider's Bar and Grille and we are going to serve mini burgers for 2 to 4 hours a day each day with an open bar all day. The kicker is the 20 foot "DRY" slide that we are setting up off a scaffold in our camp that drops you off into a pit of dry foam pieces. We are currently trying to find some cheap ways to bring power and sound to our camp. (we are planning to have Djs all day every day and close at night) Any ideas? We also missed the Theme Camp registration, which may be a good thing since this is a first for our group. Also, does anyone know where we can get an early arrival pass to set up before day one? Where would be the best place to set up a camp like this? Please let me know if you have any helpful hints or tricks to help us along on our mission! Thanks!
Come check out Slider's Bar and Grille on the playa 2009!

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:48 am

Sounds fun and delicious.

Couple things:

1.) If you're serving food, you need to make sure you get a Nevada Health Department permit. I think they're around $50. It would be a bummer to do all the cooking/planning just to get shut down over some paperwork, not to mention it's a good idea anyway.

2.) Theme camp registration. Only registered theme camps are granted early entry. This is because the BM Org sees them as adding value to the event. Of course, we ALL add value to the event but theme camps take a TON of work and prep -- but setting up and striking down. The way the Borg sees it, if you're serious enough to gain early entry, you're serious enough to get your paperwork in on time. You guys didn't this year but now you know for next year. BTW, most camps are unregistered. You'll be fine.

3.) Cheap portable power supply for DJs. Not too many options here -- generator A or generator B. Many of us on the board love the Honda EU series but they're not cheap. You can run your rig straight off the gennie or you can use the gennie to charge a couple deep-cycle marine batteries.

4. Where to camp? Since you haven't registered, it's really up to you. In the past, the "hot" streets used to radiate out from the Esplanade. Now, the keyholes get a lot of active camps. In the end, it really doesn't matter. The streets pack in from the inside out, so just look for a good spot closest to the Man and unpack.
Irony. You're soaking in it.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:57 am

On number 1. If memory serves, you must present a plan that shows seperate food prep, cooking and cleaning areas. They will also inspect during the event so the plan must be actually executed.

On the kicker: make sure you have devised some method for keeping the foam contained in 40 to 70+ mph winds.

phil

Post by phil » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:25 am

This may give you a start on what you need:
http://health.nv.gov/BFHS_EHS_TempEventInfo.htm

http://health.nv.gov/PDFs/TempEventCoord.pdf

http://health.nv.gov/PDFs/TempApp.pdf

Contact the NV health dept for information.

bdeywoo

Post by bdeywoo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:49 pm

Negative nelly statement:
If you are asking these things now........you should wait till next year.
Just my experience from past theme camps run.

You cant get in to set up your camp early unless you are registered, BUT you could ask to set up another camp that is registered and at completion of their camp set your own up. Odds of finding very many extra passes are not good, and a zero percent chance on getting 15 of them. In years past the most early entry passes i ever got was 10-15 for a 100 person camp.

You are planning on serving food (need to talk to the health department), drinks, music and interactivity, speaking from experience thats a whole lot for 15 people to do. You may be better served selecting 1 of those things to offer. With only 15 people you wont have any time to go anywhere but camp. To power all that you would need a generator, which you could rent or buy or maybe borrow. Assuming you "can" do all of this you should definetly place your camp nearer to the sound zones rather than in the heart of public camps if you are going to be playing music early in the morning.

Running a theme camp on the playa is very much more difficult and time consuming that one might originally think. Typically a "few" of the camp workmates do the work and the rest tend to just be campers not workers.

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:27 pm

It sounds like you want to bring some great things to the playa and you deserve a big pat on the back. Nothing like a great interactive theme camp!! :D

If you are planning some sort of slide into a pit of dry foam pieces, keep in mind that this stuff can't blow around. Even large foam pads will blow out of the pit in a typical wind/dust storm. I have seen full tents take off in the wind, so keep in mind that anything you use for a soft landing, must not be able to blow around.

If you plan anything that involves naked people, that would be very popular. I'm not sure why, but as soon as you add nudity, there seems to be large crowds! Just a suggestion! :shock:

the_duskah

Thank you all for the replies!

Post by the_duskah » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:53 pm

We have already set up the bus, the deck, the shade structure and the slide. it's just the dj stuff I'm a little concerned with. I will hit up the links provided so we can get a food handlers, does this mean we will all need to have one? or just one of us? This concept has been brewing since the end of last years burn so we're putting a lot into it. the food we just plan to have for a few hours a day and I don't think we're gonna make the little pamphlet of events so maybe we can do it under the radar and just share what we make? Let me know what ya'll think! Thanks again and see you at the slide!

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:52 pm

A metal slide will get very hot in the sun. May I suggest you use sliding mats, like gunny sacks to protect peoples skin. Maybe shade structure, or orient it north away from direct sun also. Playland games would be good too: 4 square, hopscotch, marbles, mumbledepeg, teatherball, strip dodgeball, swings, jungle gym, etc...Mattresses would be better than moopy foam pieces. Just how big is this slide?
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Don't use foam pieces at all.
unless they are in a beanbag cover or garbage bags the sponge WILL get all over the place.
Big walls are NOT a solution, as the foam will stick to participents when they leave the area.
VERY MOOPY !!!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

the_duskah

Post by the_duskah » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:48 pm

I forgot to mention, we are using a couple of love sacs for the crash pad and it's going to be a wood slide with boat apoxy and potato sacks

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:59 pm

That'll work good, bravo on the potato sacks also.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

the_duskah

sliders

Post by the_duskah » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:31 am

I'm gonna post some pics soon, camera got a little finicky recently.

the_duskah

sliders

Post by the_duskah » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:34 am

one of our fellow sliders had a great idea as well, we're bringin select bottles of top shelf liquor and will make top shelf drinks for ladies that go down the slide topless. Sound good? let me know if any of ya'll got any other ideas!

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: sliders

Post by AntiM » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:39 am

the_duskah wrote:one of our fellow sliders had a great idea as well, we're bringin select bottles of top shelf liquor and will make top shelf drinks for ladies that go down the slide topless. Sound good? let me know if any of ya'll got any other ideas!
Nope, sounds creepy to me.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:09 am

I am shocked that I agree with you on that. :oops:
There goes my barbarian cred.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:26 pm

AntiM wrote:
the_duskah wrote:one of our fellow sliders had a great idea as well, we're bringin select bottles of top shelf liquor and will make top shelf drinks for ladies that go down the slide topless. Sound good? let me know if any of ya'll got any other ideas!
Nope, sounds creepy to me.
Here, here, AntiM!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:21 am

Um yah.

So since you will have a very hard time getting in early I would focus on being totally packed, prepared and well rested before you leave for the event. Arrive within hours of opening and find a spot you like. Take a deep breath and start set up. Set up to a point that your camp foot print is well protected and then take a break or sleep and start anew in the morning.

For the power for the DJ set up just buy a Honda EU series generator. They are quiet and playa tested. The music will easily drown out the generator noise.

Sounds fun. Good luck.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

the_duskah

thanks a bunch!

Post by the_duskah » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:50 pm

thank you for the replies! the bus is having some troubles these days though..... having a hard time getting it started to get it up to the shop for an overhaul and tuning.... I think I may have a clog in my fuel line.... Hopefully she works out!

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:27 pm

This action is considered sexist, yahoo-ish, and some other adverbs I can't think of right now by the majority of those that attend the event.
If you were to also make top shelf drinks for men that go down the slide bottomless, it would equalize the whole thing out and those reading and commenting about this statement might think that you are an OK guy instead of an uneducated yahoo.

Not that I give a shit but you might want people to like you for your burgers instead.

Token

Post by Token » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:36 pm

Yep, the whole topless thing is way overdone and so dime-a-dozen on the Playa anyway.

Why not save the good booze for body shots and blowjobs?

Guys gotta gargle with something after a good manload.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”