HexaYurt quick assembly hardware?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
mikep_95133

HexaYurt quick assembly hardware?

Post by mikep_95133 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:07 pm

Hi all,

My newbie goal when building a foamboard/honeycomb Yurt is to not use tape. Man is that stuff pricey. I was hoping to use hardware store parts that basically allow the structure to be assembled without tape. I think it can be made to seal well enough between edges with weather stripping to keep the dust out as well.

We should have a nice space to practice assembly and disassembly of this theoretical Yurt. Repetition should help find any bugs.

If this has been tried, I cannot find it. So if you know of any other source please let me know.

Mike

stack

alternatives

Post by stack » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:40 am

Tape is expensive, having recently purchased it I know first hand.

Here's a link to a yurt that was built using osb board and roofing flashing as the "tape". Perhaps using the flashing and small roofing nails or pre-drilled holes and screw/wing nuts to attach the flashing would work on cardboard. Probably cheaper, but I would think more difficult to build.

My motivation for the yurt is a dust free, cooler temperature place to sleep and hang. I think you'll loose both of those benefits if you stray from the insulation/tape build. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/?p=340

stack

alternatives

Post by stack » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:40 am

whoops...didn't mean a double post.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:58 am

Would strips of light canvas and some wallpaper glue not work well for a Playa deployment?

Remember that tape distributes all the loading forces over a large surface area of a relatively weak material. This is the magic that gives the structure strength. Replacing that with point loads will likely create forces in the material that exceed it's tensile or shear rating.

Clown Shoes

Taping the Yurt

Post by Clown Shoes » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:22 pm

I know the pain of the paying for the tape myself, but it's a must in the standard design. The only other alternative to tape that I've found is something called Collision Wrap, Crash Wrap, or Collision film. We use this stuff in the car business to wrap up wrecked cars like plastic wrap on leftovers. You can find it on ebay for relatively cheap. You'll have to wrap the yurt complete to make it work. This stuff is sticky like tape, it's not like moving/packing film that only sticks to itself. We'll be using it to waterproof our hexacomb cardboard yurt.....Crap, now that I'm thinking about it I didn't need to buy that tape. Thanks for the buyer's remorse.
The trick to a successful life is believing in one's own bullshit.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”