Preparation includes plans for clean-up ...

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
phil

Preparation includes plans for clean-up ...

Post by phil » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:50 pm

... see how you did:

http://twitpic.com/l6xoz/full

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:01 pm

We're green.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks for the pic! Green here :-)
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located at Esplanade and 3:00 Portal for 2018!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:29 pm

Green here too. Second year in a row!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:35 am

YAY! green!!!!

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:41 am

we look Green...but what relates to GREY????
I see the Street area looks like it was grey with green over it?
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:49 am

shit...beet red :oops:
Frida Be You & Me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:11 am

Hushville, green as ever.

I do see that the Utah Village is distressingly yellow with red spots.

phil

Post by phil » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:37 am

pinemom wrote:we look Green...but what relates to GREY????
I see the Street area looks like it was grey with green over it?
I think they didn't have enough green and used at least two different shades. My belief is that there are green, yellow, and red. Any variations in shades of green don't matter: it's still green.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:47 am

Green for us, red across the street.
(That's where we dumped our junk.) :)

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:49 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:shit...beet red :oops:
It's interesting, I was reading (on the blog, I think), that the larger music camps usually always score poorly.

Though I understand that there is a large amount of traffic and partiers that visit those camps and contribute to the MOOP, the camps also have a large contingent of people to set them up. Is it that they don't take the same time or have the same concern when it comes to cleaning up after themselves?

I always thought that if you scored red too often you wouldn't be allowed back. I guess I heard wrong?

JK

PS There was no snark intended in this post, just curious.
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:35 am

jkisha wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:shit...beet red :oops:
It's interesting, I was reading (on the blog, I think), that the larger music camps usually always score poorly.

Though I understand that there is a large amount of traffic and partiers that visit those camps and contribute to the MOOP, the camps also have a large contingent of people to set them up. Is it that they don't take the same time or have the same concern when it comes to cleaning up after themselves?
I dunno. I think that hte traffic means that they have to do it every single day for I dunno how long. And that there is much trampling of stuff into the dust so it's harder to see. I wonder what would happen if they stopped the music for 10 minutes to have the dancers moop.
jkisha wrote:I always thought that if you scored red too often you wouldn't be allowed back. I guess I heard wrong?.
I've heard it as rumor, or maybe from a good source that was so long ago that I've forgotten who it was. It's the llc. Expect inconsistent enforcement of policy. They could decide to enforce next year. Maybe they decided that they "need" the big sound camps, and don't go after them.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:05 pm

I got green! Late Exodus Monday I racked over the dunes and found bits of paper and feathers, all stuff blown into and against my tents. Most was buried into windblown drifts where it stopped and got buried. I use a garden rake to smooth down the snakes surrounding my tents. Most was blown into one corner where it got trapped in a swirl. Easy to pick up, I might have a mini trash fence next year. I saw a big truck came by and picked up some abandoned bikes down the way. We need a designated place people can donate bikes rather than just leave them everywhere. Maybe at the street corners?
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:28 pm

there are a couple of designated spots to drop off bikes.

I saw one in Gerlach,
and, one at about the greeters gate, on the way out.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:49 pm

same old shit......not ours...

we took out a 24' truck filled to the top with garbage....over half was not ours...

even though we provided garbage cans in the domes, each and every day after having 5000+ come thru the night before and dump their shit on the ground we ended up picking up ALOT of moop that was'nt there when we started.

a closer exam of the map shows our Camp area and tipi village to be green.

we run a tight ship, and a clean one, but cannot police every drunk e-tard who thinks their one little piece of moop wont matter.

it does...it gets ground in and buried under the weight of so many.

we used rakes, we used magnetic rollers, we scoured every square inch, and even 100 yards out, the problem lies in and under the dance floor of the two domes, and the area directly outside.

we put on a large show for the whole playa, we work our asses off before, during and after the event.

but every year (except for last year when we scored green) we have issues with this.

i think Fishy is right, every couple of hours, the DJ's should request that everyone enjoying the domes and the sound system please take 10 minutes to help us clean up. Maybe a mooping song dub-step or something. Whatever it takes to solve this problem.

my apologies to the DPW, we tried, dammit, we really tried...

without laying blame at anyone's feet, i can honestly say we do the best we can, but obviously, we'll have to do better.
Frida Be You & Me

phil

Post by phil » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:13 pm

[quote]We need a designated place people can donate bikes rather than just leave them everywhere. Maybe at the street corners?[/qupte]
They tried something like that years ago, and it turns into a garbage dump disaster. For some reason, expecting everyone to leave no trace works _much_ better.

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Aydin just came up with a mooping song....i will see what the sound wizards can do...

"M O O P ! There it is..."

has a nice mid-nineties c.c. factory feel to it...
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

LostinReno
Burning Since: 2009

Post by LostinReno » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:28 pm

AntiM wrote:Hushville, green as ever.

I do see that the Utah Village is distressingly yellow with red spots.
Woooot We were green! :D
Strangely the people across the street from us were also from Utah. They got a yellow block. Nice people but they threw their butts everywhere. I'm actually surprised it's only a yellow block.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:40 pm

You didn't have any trouble bringing it in with you, didn't you pilgrim?

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:48 pm

We didn't get green awhile back, though we thought we were really trying to pick everything up too. We then talked to the earth guardians--they are glad to walk your camp with you--and they pointed out all the things required to bring the area back to LNT condition. Some things that we never even thought about were the black tread marks left under car and truck wheels after being parked for a week, holes made by tent stakes and rebar, marks/scars made by dumping water (even clean water), to name a few.

After tending to all of these sorts of things, in addition to the mooping we always did, we finally managed to get green.

JK
JK

ehcsztein

Post by ehcsztein » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:53 pm

Green again!

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:07 am

Huh. I couldn't really tell which square was us, but the entire area was green, so I'm going with "green, yay."

Well, not the yay. I don't really say "yay."

There was a trash place, not too far out, that was taking trash. Two bucks a bag? Five? They were taking bikes, too, as I recall. Or specifically not. We were having margaritas during Exodus. I don't remember.

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:29 am

we had a green camp, as dougly said. but that was easy ... we were only 5, everyone was careful, including our smokers, and the obstacle course didn't create any moop, except for an occasional wood chip. i picked up whatever i found during the week, and went through camp after packing up ... there was never much there.

i can't imagine trying to keep something like root society or opulent temple clean ... in fact, i'm amazed the red area at root society was so small. opulent temple was far worse. your effort shows, simon.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:56 am

well our effort was not good enough, and so we have to finger out a way to prevent this from happening again.

i think a regular break for clean-up is a really good idea, and if everyone in the dome at the time just picks up 4-5 pieces of moop, not only will it stop the garbage from being ground in, it'll be a little community fun time that is productive as well.

whistle while you work, or in this case, shoop shoop while you moop.

5-10 minutes every couple of hours IMHO will make a big difference.

i empathize with op temp in the sense that we really have no control over our guests, but we pay the price for their behaviour, or lack of attention to the 10 principles.

there must be a solution to this besides throwing the baby out with the bongwater.
Frida Be You & Me

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:24 am

there must be a solution to this besides throwing the baby out with the bongwater.
I don't think babies and stoner-ass hippies should be granted entrance in the first place.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:35 am

Kidsville is mostly green, save for a wee bit o'yellow. This is the area that was used as parking for the commisary after the event so it really isn't attributable to us. It is a big improvement over last year, which if I recall was mostly red.

All in all it looks a whole lot better then last years map. :D
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:45 am

Sounds like a decent idea for the sound camps. Not sure if it'll work, but it's worth a try.
It's going to be alright.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:02 am

This year, I finally learned how to moop. (I know that sounds wrong, but it's true.) I found my self on the last 2 or 3 mornings wandering through the city with a bag and a grabber picking up stuff. It was a nice mellow mood and I got to watch my brain go through the greed thing, which is always interesting. I picked up some interesting stuff, I was gifted more interesting stuff, and well, it was a nice way for me to interact with the city.

I did drop by the soundcamps on two, looking for the famous excess of odd stuff and didn't find much. Obviously, I'm not a DPW line sweep. Also, it was monday morning and a lot of the camps seem not to have been open sunday night, so it had been pretty thoroughly mooped. I was dissappointed. But that's me.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:29 am

theCryptofishist wrote:This year, I finally learned how to moop. (I know that sounds wrong, but it's true.) I found my self on the last 2 or 3 mornings wandering through the city with a bag and a grabber picking up stuff. It was a nice mellow mood and I got to watch my brain go through the greed thing, which is always interesting. I picked up some interesting stuff, I was gifted more interesting stuff, and well, it was a nice way for me to interact with the city.

I did drop by the soundcamps on two, looking for the famous excess of odd stuff and didn't find much. Obviously, I'm not a DPW line sweep. Also, it was monday morning and a lot of the camps seem not to have been open sunday night, so it had been pretty thoroughly mooped. I was dissappointed. But that's me.

It's fun to pull up to a messy camp on a alterabled scooter.. Then start picking thair moop.. Just watch the whole camp jump up and clean up..

It has been my stich ever year to play 1950s music and pick moop around the city.. Yes it puts a person in a different mood.. Like you just feel ok..

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:51 am

I prefer to wear a flogger and a megaphone, and beat moopers with the lash, but to each his own.

Trash fence yielded $20 and some furry leg warmers to my friend. 3 g of cocaine, at a regional, once.

It isn't going on LNT, it's groundscoring.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”