Bikes and camp sites

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Gus High

Bikes and camp sites

Post by Gus High » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:31 pm

Hi, Can anyone help me with 2 questions.

1. How hard should I try to bring a bike with me? In other words, will I regret not having a bike there?

2. Should I find a camp site of my own, or find a theme camp. My concern of being on my own naturally is getting ripped off while I'm out. I'm planning on bringing a big insulated igloo shaped tent. It should have the same thermal characteristics of an adobe house, warm at night, cool in the day. Any suggestions for camps that would fit in with.

Thanks for the help.

Gus
If you don't do the things you do, who else will?

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:30 pm

You don't need a bike if you're comfortable walking a few miles a day. The "city" is a couple miles wide. One less thing to worry about.
You can camp anywhere you find a spot in the designated camping areas.

You read through the main website, right?

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... bikes.html

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:31 pm

Where did that fucking edit function go?

Gus High

Post by Gus High » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:50 am

You can camp anywhere you find a spot in the designated camping areas.

You read through the main website, right?

Yes, but I guess what I'm trying to get at is the fact that I will not be able to contribute much to a theme camp or village other then my labour. I don't want to be accused of being a space hog, parisite because I didn't bring anything other then my supplies, igloo and mysef.
So would I be better to camp on my own and bounce around from theme camp to theme camp doing what ever I can do to help out.

Thanks

Gus

III

Post by III » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:12 am

most of the people attending burning man do *not* camp with theme camps.

for your first year, you may be better off camping by yourself, or with a small group in the non theme camp space, and exploring the city so you have an idea of what you might want to do next year.
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

Menehune

Post by Menehune » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:48 am

Since this is your first trip to Burning Man you may want to consider volunteering… “Participation is at the very core of Burning Man. Once a year, for one week in the desert, a community of living, breathing, participants join together to create Black Rock City. The people who attend Burning Man are no mere "attendees," but rather participants in every sense of the word: they create the city, the interaction, the art, the performance and ultimately the "experience."

http://www.burningman.com/participate/

Check out the “Volunteer Options”

Great way to interact with the Black Rock Community.
Loves to share.... But does not play well with others....

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:23 pm

I agree with some of the responses. There is no reason to join a theme camp as a Newbie unless you're invited by someone (generally) that you already know. I would not worry about people stealing your belongings, but keeping your true "valuables" inside a locked car is not a bad idea. The suggestion, however, that a bike is not essential I think is wrong. Black Rock City is a very big place, and whether or not everyone agrees with this, a bike is an absolute must. Otherwise you are anchored right where you are. With a bike you can easily bring water with you, get from place to place in a comparitively short length of time, and it will make your experience much better. Period. But as indicated in other posts, make sure you bring it home again with you.

The Doc

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:41 pm

You will regret not bringing your bike if you do not. You will stumble over other people's bikes in the dark. You will pick up someone else's bike by mistake, you will run over someone's pile of @#$&! lumber in the dark. Your tires will run flat with no air pump or flat kit. You will come back next year for more.

Gus High

Post by Gus High » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:51 pm

Thanks for the info. Looks like next thing I need to figure out is how to get a bike from eastern Ontario to Nevada in a small convertible. I think it would be easier to bring 4 litres (aka A Canadian Gallon) of maple syrup as a gift for that extra special person that is willing to lend me an extra bike.

Thanks alot,

Gus

Icepack

Post by Icepack » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:17 pm

Gus High wrote:Thanks for the info. Looks like next thing I need to figure out is how to get a bike from eastern Ontario to Nevada in a small convertible. I think it would be easier to bring 4 litres (aka A Canadian Gallon) of maple syrup as a gift for that extra special person that is willing to lend me an extra bike.

Thanks alot,

Gus
Just get a bike rack and attach it to your trunk. that's what we did last year with our bikes, and we hauled them all the way from Massachusetts like that. Sure it was a pain unloading them when we needed to access the trunk (when we bought water) but they survived the trip to Nevada and back home again without any problems.

vic

Bike

Post by vic » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:10 pm

I would recommend a bike, preferably a beater with wide tires. I have taken a cheap, kid's bike the last two years and have been glad to have it. Bring a lock so that some stoner doesn't get confused and ride off with your bike. BRC is spread over several miles, and there will be interesting art pieces well beyond that.

fnord

Post by fnord » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:51 pm

Thanks for the info. Looks like next thing I need to figure out is how to get a bike from eastern Ontario to Nevada in a small convertible.
Look around for trunk mounted bike racks. You can find one for around $60. I hear Yakima makes a decent and inexpensive one.

precipitate
Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Post by precipitate » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:04 pm

Concur with the you'll prefer a bike consensus. You don't need it, but the
city is big, and particularly if you are not with a theme camp the distances
will be easier with a bike. Spend $40 on a bike rack. Spend $15 on the
bike. Or save the money for something more important and make sure
you have comfy shoes.

As for camping with a theme camp, I'd recommend first finding people you
like to camp with. If you find some Ontarians that float your boat, go with
them, regardless of whether they have a theme. Otherwise, your worries
about camping alone are *not* getting stuff ripped off (unless you leave
your full bar out in the street). They're more being lonely if you're not
outgoing, or being afraid to ask your neighbors for that sewing kit you
forgot when you ripped the ass out of your shorts on esplanade. Which
problems it would behoove you to overcome.

As for participation, you don't have to be a theme camp to achieve that.
Don't mooch off your neighbors unless you need something. Offer what
you have to others who need it. Be interesting. Be interested in what
others have done. That's it.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:30 am

There is a bike guy some where on this list. He saves bikes from year to year. Lives in Reno. He can arrange a bike for you there.

For a camp site, We set a camp in the burbs. Most of our shit is large and comfeee. It attracts other small campers. That way we meet more people from all over the world. Maybe we will see ya there?
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

stuart

Post by stuart » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:33 pm

for god's sake, bring a bike. For god's sake, drop the attitude of 'i can get one from a friendly burner' wrt juts about anything.

hageymon

Bike Guy in Reno

Post by hageymon » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:44 pm

For contact info on the Reno guy with bikes for rent, do a Google Search under "Da Bike Rat".

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:41 pm

Weigh budget considerations v. pain in the ass considerations. With new bikes going for ~$100 american at we "ARRRRRR" toyz or sprawlMart (if you can stand shopping there--a legitemate concern) you can pick one up in Reno and just schlep it out the the Playa and donate it to goodwill. Of course, if that's still racking it. . . then maybe it's not saving you much trouble. (And maybe check the prices. I know someone who swears to this but I don't spend much time in those places.)

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:19 pm

Personally, I like having a bike (especially for those "I've got to find a JOTS before I shit my pants" moments.).

If you're not in the best of physical shape when you hit the playa, you will feel pain regardless of whether or not you have a bike--but it will be less if you have one.

If you do bring one, make sure to take it home with you. Too many people don't.
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:26 pm

Zane5100 wrote: If you do bring one, make sure to take it home with you. Too many people don't.
And those bikes end up in piles never to be used again. (I've heard.) Which is why I suggested that if you do regaurd it as disposable, donate in Reno, not create MOOP.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:39 pm

99$ gets you a three speed folding bike.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Bob

Post by Bob » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:53 pm

....those bikes end up in piles never to be used again. (I've heard.) ....
Last year -- upwards of 150, as of a few days after the event. Subsequent to that, all but the few primo ones among the still-unclaimed went to scrap or the dumpsters. See the eplaya lost & found threads re: arguments for & against "someone (else) ought to do something!!!".

Bikes should be treated as another piece of camping gear. Strap a cooler to it and you can always use it to wheel ice & beer to & from DPW... er, Center Camp.

dingo

Post by dingo » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:15 pm

Bike or no bike. The experience is completely different. I cannot say one is better than the other, just different. I did 2 years with, 2 years without. Damn my feet got worked. Sometimes the little details you see on foot are so amazing compared to riding your bike to get drinks at a duck bar way the fuck out there.

-Does that make sense?

Booker

Post by Booker » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:19 pm

Does that make sense?
Yeah, completely. But if you have a bike, it's a choice you get to make. If you don't, you're walkin' (or hitching a ride on one of the seven million automobiles roaming the playa at any given moment). In particular, the bike stays in camp on burn night. The crush around The Guy makes a bike an unusable albatross.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

playa surface

Post by Tiahaar » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:24 pm

The nice hard 2003 playa surface was great & ideal for bike tires, but it was my first time and I've seen bits in here about other year's playa surface being softer (and eep! rainy and wetter!) Is it usually hardpack with the once-in-five-or-so-years softy powdery stuff on top or the other way around for instance??
Burning Man 2003-19-FO2020; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

III

Post by III » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:36 pm

>>the other way around

usually the other way round, though 30,000 people walking over anything a couple times a day will turn it into deep drifts of dust.
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

Panther

no purchase required to win

Post by Panther » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:08 pm

You probably won't need to bring a bike to Black Rock City; But, be sure to bring a cell phone so that you can call a cab.

Panther :)

Piper

Post by Piper » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:23 pm

dingo wrote:Bike or no bike. The experience is completely different. I cannot say one is better than the other, just different. I did 2 years with, 2 years without. Damn my feet got worked. Sometimes the little details you see on foot are so amazing compared to riding your bike to get drinks at a duck bar way the fuck out there.

-Does that make sense?
Last year I walked, save one day when I borrowed Hagey's bike, I loved it, some soreness, but with talc and lotions, no other problem. This year I have a bike, one of the ones left behind, that two of my kids(students) are "tricking out".(They ask me if they could) But I do not want to use it. I like being on the ground with the community, you see so much more and get to be with other participants and let things happen to/with/by you. I guess I can do the "bike to an area and get off" thing, but then you have to go back and get it....sometime. I will take it, but I hope I do not have to use it much
Peace
Piper

I said, "Man, I'd like to stay
But I'm bound for glory
I'm on my way
My ride's here...

Warren Zevon RIP

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”