Fitting a kodiak tent in a monkey hut

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Fitting a kodiak tent in a monkey hut

Postby BBadger » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:01 pm

There are always carports. They definitely fit a tent that size. They're more portable for my transportation arrangements too.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

DrCook
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Cosmic Giggle

Postby DrCook » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:28 pm

We've been using a modular shade structure at Kostume Kult for years that's inexpensive, easy to setup, and withstands whatever winds the Playa throws at us. I camped under it last year in my 10' x 10' Kodiak with some headroom to spare. Added bonus is it can be scaled up or down in 10'x10' increments to accommodate as many campers/social spaces as you need. Here's a PDF with detailed directions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-tp7aKaiD-2c08wemlWeFNBZ00/view?usp=sharing

Huge_Manatee
Burning Since: 2016

Postby Huge_Manatee » Tue May 24, 2016 9:32 pm

So I'm bringing my girlfriend and a popup tent to burning man this year, and did a bunch of math to figure out tarp sizing / tent spacing earlier today for a monkey hut....

:idea: The monkey hut is essentially a half oval. :idea:

An oval's circumference is
    where the A and B values are shown here:

The top of the trailer that I'm bringing is 10ft 11in, so I want a peak height at least or greater than 12 ft. (to take into account of the offset, which is 3-4ft either side of the highest point of the arch.

We can solve for the offset in this case...

(1/2)*(Required Width) = sqrt(2*[(<tarp length>/<pi>)^2] - (Desired Height)^2)

-or- (please excuse the notation)

<Required Width for Monkey Hut> = 2*(sqrt(2*[(<tarp length>/<pi>)^2] - (Desired Height)^2))

So we can use the equation to solve for my case... 12 ft max height using a 35 ft tarp takes me to a 20.4 ft stake offset on the playa.
      I showed a bunch of solutions for desired heights ranging from 8 up to 20 using tarp sizes from 20 up to 50 ft long on this google sheet: MonkeyHut_Dimensions if you want to take a look.

In anycase, hope that helps!

Leap
      Burning Since: 2016
      Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Postby Leap » Wed May 25, 2016 5:50 am

Huge_Manatee, I'll have my 12 year check this out when I get home tonight.

hooker

Postby hooker » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:11 am

Huge Manatee,
      12 feet is a pretty high wind profile. I've brought a monkey hut a few times, but it was a 20x20 tarp and the height was about 6.5 feet at the peak. It was always rock solid. Why is your trailer so tall ( 11 ft. )? Can you put your tent on the ground? I just think you're tempting fate if you build such a tall structure with a tarp over it.
      JR

astrid
      Burning Since: 2017

Postby astrid » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Resurrecting because I have a 9x8 Kodiak that I'd like to shade with a monkey hut, and my camp limits my shade structure to a 10x10 footprint. I was thinking of still having ribs split from 20' PVC sections but spacing them closer (as close as I can to my my tent, like just enough room to squeeze through) to improve the height, but this reddit post (gasp) suggests this could overstress the connectors at the peak line:

Thoughts?

astrid
      Burning Since: 2017

Postby astrid » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:53 pm

I've been thinking a bow shed-like structure -- think Lancet gothic arch -- would probably best fit the Kodiak tent, but I worry about it's wind performance because of the right-angle ridgeline connection. I don't have the space to create a tapering peak like the Chiton (http://www.scottlondon.com/photo/burnin ... 0/026.html), which would probably shed the wind a bit better. Perhaps I could add secondary longitudinal spacers just off the ridge line and at the base, which would have a tall straight section?

Token
      Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:37 pm

astrid wrote: ... and my camp limits my shade structure to a 10x10 footprint.

Thoughts?

Well that is just fucking cruel! Is there dues for this torture you signed up for?

Get a better camp and bring a carport.

trilobyte
      Site Admin
      Burning Since: 2004
      Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:13 am

Yeah, if they're limiting the size of your own shade structure, it sounds like you may be part of an overloaded camp or village or some kind of horrible dues-mill that's just packing people in at any cost. Of course, accommodating last minute campers can also be a real challenge, since camp planning is typically done months ago. Good luck with your project and camp!

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”