Shade structure over a VW van?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
scarlet_minnow

Shade structure over a VW van?

Postby scarlet_minnow » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:30 pm

Great Googly Moogly, Burning Man is fast approaching and I am so not ready! Last year we were cruelly awoken every sunrise by the heat and so this year I want to make a shade structure that can go over our VW Vanagon. I know there're lots of you VW folks out there, so who can help me out with some design ideas for the structure and what to use as covering? I've seen others suggest using burlap- since I live in coffee central (Seattle), this might be a low-cost option. Thoughts? Ideas?
Be who you are and say what you feel... for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

-- Dr. Suess

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bob » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:48 am

http://www.gr8gear.com/
Federal Army and Navy Surplus -- on First Ave, north of downtown. Search on "netting". They even have burlap netting.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

icanseeformiles
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: DCDNT Oasis

Re: Shade structure over a VW van?

Postby icanseeformiles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:22 am

This is an old post - but other burners may benefit from this.

I did exactly that a few years ago. Covered my Vanagon with burlap for shade.

Never again. It did provide shade which was good. But burlap is HEAVY and bulky and moopy when you zip tie enough of them together to completely cover a popped-up Vanagon.

This year I am planning to do the same thing but with some light rayon or something from a fabric store.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”