Playa-worthy tents - Your dream tent.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
TheJudge

Playa-worthy tents - Your dream tent.

Post by TheJudge » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:04 pm

If you were going to design a tent to specifically meet the needs of an environment like the playa, what would it have?
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:14 pm

A little sound proofing (not too much), a soft comfy bed, and shade to keep me cool til mid morning.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:18 pm

I guess I pretty much already have all that. But anymore wouldn't feel right. Can't be too comfortable.

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:30 pm

This monster. http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/ope ... oductId=95 I've got its little brother.

Totally playa approved.
Desert dogs drink deep.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:51 pm

Got it. It's called a yurt :)

Unfortunately, since my yurt's being used as a small ritual gathering space in my camp, I have to make do with what I have to paw. Next year I'm building a nice Gypsy/Conestoga wagon with cedar shingles, stained glass and EL wire.

But if you wanna see my absolute, no-holds-barred, to-die-for wet dream Playa tent...a Makhzen. Check it out:

http://alibab.com/home.html

The only thing that's stopping me is the $20,000 price tag and having to drive all the way to New York City to pick it up at the port! =O

If I were a bazillionaire and money were no object — that, or supremely, supremely, as in "Shiva just appeared and said He's pleased with your sacrifice and you can ask for anything in the world you want as a reward," lucky and fortunate...I'd ask for Cirque du Soleil's big top, made of Luminex laminated to silk.

Hey! Quit drooling!! ;D
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

Dork

Post by Dork » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:50 pm

A yurt with fiberglass and aluminum poles and collapse down to a tiny space, reflective exterior, fan with mister in the center ring, with lots of hooks inside to hang tapestries. Also, lots of zip-out windows with mesh covering.

Anyone know where to get cheap fiberglass strips? Come to think of it, titanium would work pretty well too.

chotii

Post by chotii » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:47 am

Dork wrote:A yurt with fiberglass and aluminum poles and collapse down to a tiny space, reflective exterior, fan with mister in the center ring, with lots of hooks inside to hang tapestries. Also, lots of zip-out windows with mesh covering.
Well, this looks doable: http://www.shelter-systems.com/plans-kits.html - not horribly expensive (I don't think?) and in theory you could use at least a white tarp as shown, to reflect sun, if not actually put emergency-type silver blankets on the top. I'm not sure about zip windows. Presumably if you did all the prep-work at home, you could install these yourself even if you had to sew them or glue them by hand.

TheJudge

Post by TheJudge » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:59 am

Well, this looks doable: http://www.shelter-systems.com/plans-kits.html - not horribly expensive (I don't think?) and in theory you could use at least a white tarp as shown, to reflect sun, if not actually put emergency-type silver blankets on the top. I'm not sure about zip windows. Presumably if you did all the prep-work at home, you could install these yourself even if you had to sew them or glue them by hand.[/quote]

The only problem is that there is no floor. In a heavy rain, you'd be standing in mud.

I like the idea of using silverized tarps or covering the entire surface with mylar, though.

Some ideas:

6' center height or more - Standing upright is a wonderful thing.
One piece tub bottom.
Zip out windows
Vents that can be closed
Inside structure strong enough to hang fabric or tapestries.
Two piece door - zips when needed, but closes with velcro when all you want to do is keep the door closed.
Interior cooling via solar powered evaporative cooler.

More ideas as I think of them.

lookout

Post by lookout » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:27 am

Sturdy, easy and reuseable. I built my tent for this year out of 2x4's and tyvek and lots of rebar. Hopefully I will not get blown away by the dust storms that are expected.

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:51 am

i usually opt for a cheap coleman "deer killin' tent" (15 man tent) wth 3 rooms. -- think it's called the dakota...
one room for a guest, then the center is for storage, and holding it down, and the 3rd is for us. not as swanky as a nice north face, but cheap enough to get destroyed and not sweat it.
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

specifically

Post by swampdog » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:02 am

I'm going to be solo at BM for my first run this year. I am planning to keep it as simple as possible for my "learning" run. I have 2 tents, one small 2+ person dome, 10+ years old but sturdy. I also have a big strong nice new family tent which seems like a bit much for one person. I'm also concerned about the amount of surface area that the big tent presents to the wind. The little one has a much lower profile. Each tent has a rain fly, I plan to put a mirror finish space blanket under the rainfly (hopefully keep down the heat without making too much glare for the neighbors). I'm leaning towards the small tent, for sleeping only, with my waking hours in public spaces. Any suggestions or recomendations? Thanks in advance.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:21 am

My "perfect tent" specs:

Non-commercial (custom is better yet)
"good to look at" (I favor moorish styles, ymmv)
must be able to be configured quickly to be;
rainproof
windproof
allow breezes through
prevent breezes through
block morning light
must be quite in wind (minimal flapping noise)
must have a floor (seperate prefered)
must be large enough to accept a blowup bed in/out of the doorway
should attenuate sound somewhat when closed up
must not "shadowbox" to outside when light is on inside

needless to say, I do not bring a camping-style tent!

Dork

Post by Dork » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:24 am

6' center height is nice, but if that drops off sharply you can't really walk around. Just duck down to get in then stand in the center. That's what I like about yurts, all of the space is usable. What I don't like about them is the sheer mass of stuff needed to construct one.

As for which tent to bring, I say bring the big one or bring both. Tents are useful for sleeping and for gear storage. With a big tent you can have a good sized bed plus plenty of room for all of your clothes and such. Keep it downwind of a vehicle and it should be ok. If you like, use the small one to store water and such.

chotii

Post by chotii » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:03 pm

TheJudge wrote:The only problem is that there is no floor. In a heavy rain, you'd be standing in mud.
Could bring along 4 (or 9) pallets to lay down for a floor? I know there's a tent city near my house (alternative to homeless shelters) and the folks there use pallets to get them off the ground - very important in Seattle. If you had a roll of carpet you could throw down over them, so much the better.
I like the idea of using silverized tarps or covering the entire surface with mylar, though.

The problem with covering the surface with mylar is that if the wind is as bad as people keep saying (I've never been to BM myself) it's unlikely to *stay*. It'll rip right off. A silverized tarp (is there such a thing?) would be better because the silver would be integral.

People keep talking about yurts, and yurts sound wonderful except for the bulk to set up, but how do they tolerate wind? Would it be possible to make a lean-to of tarp on the side of the prevailing wind, to act as a ramp and steer the wind up over the roof of the yurt? Or does the wind come from different directions?

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:10 pm

Re: yurts, I think you just tie off to a yak.

http://jackchang.net/vivjack/chapter6.html
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Stormy

Here's the inside of my dream tent

Post by Stormy » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:35 pm

Be the change you seek in the world.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:40 pm

Stormy,

Unfortunately, I couldn't view the picture.... :(
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Stormy

Oops bad link, try again

Post by Stormy » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:42 pm

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:43 pm

BAS wrote:Stormy,

Unfortunately, I couldn't view the picture.... :(
The one that I wanted to show just wouldn't work. But this is kind of the same idea. *sigh*

TheJudge

Post by TheJudge » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:47 pm

chotii wrote:Could bring along 4 (or 9) pallets to lay down for a floor? I know there's a tent city near my house (alternative to homeless shelters) and the folks there use pallets to get them off the ground - very important in Seattle. If you had a roll of carpet you could throw down over them, so much the better.
That's a great idea. You could screw down some extra planks to fill in the gaps and have a solid floor that sits 4 inches off the playa. Air flow would be fantastic, but leveling the palets so they dont teeter-totter might be a challenge.

And at the end of the event, you can unscrew all the pieces and toss em on a community burn platform.

I also like the white fabric. Easily decorated.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:32 pm

I would tell you what the best playa tent is, but it's too late and they might be overrun with orders and be sold out before I could buy mine!

(Hint you can do a search on Eplaya to find out!)

A II Z

Mithra

Post by Mithra » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:25 pm

Mobiflex Command Post

Modern Military tent, it sets up like an easyup, folds up small and looks playa worthy.

Every time I see one of these I get wood....

Mithra

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:46 pm

Mithra wrote:Image
Every time I see one of these I get wood....
Mithra
it has a fireplace?
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

Mithra

Post by Mithra » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:53 pm

Shitmouse Wrote:
it has a fireplace?
-b
As a matter of fact you can put a woodstove in, it has a place for a smoke stack. But when I said "I get wood" it was as in: Woody, tumescent, hard, erect, excited sexually. Yes it's true I'm in lust with a tent, but it's not your average tent.

Mithra

BAS

Post by BAS » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:49 pm

Yes it's true I'm in lust with a tent, but it's not your average tent.
I dunno-- I think I like the tent in the picture Stormy posted better! (I assume it comes with servants to keep everything clean! :wink: )
--Russell Kirsch

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:02 pm

BAS wrote:
Yes it's true I'm in lust with a tent, but it's not your average tent.
I dunno-- I think I like the tent in the picture Stormy posted better! (I assume it comes with servants to keep everything clean! :wink: )
Well the thread was labelled Dream Tent, no? Any applicants for the houseboys?

BAS

Post by BAS » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:12 pm

Well the thread was labelled Dream Tent, no? Any applicants for the houseboys?
What's it pay? :)
--Russell Kirsch

thedrunkenmonkey

Post by thedrunkenmonkey » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:11 pm

diane o'thirst wrote:Got it. It's called a yurt :)

Unfortunately, since my yurt's being used as a small ritual gathering space in my camp, I have to make do with what I have to paw. Next year I'm building a nice Gypsy/Conestoga wagon with cedar shingles, stained glass and EL wire.

But if you wanna see my absolute, no-holds-barred, to-die-for wet dream Playa tent...a Makhzen. Check it out:

http://alibab.com/home.html

The only thing that's stopping me is the $20,000 price tag and having to drive all the way to New York City to pick it up at the port! =O

If I were a bazillionaire and money were no object — that, or supremely, supremely, as in "Shiva just appeared and said He's pleased with your sacrifice and you can ask for anything in the world you want as a reward," lucky and fortunate...I'd ask for Cirque du Soleil's big top, made of Luminex laminated to silk.

Hey! Quit drooling!! ;D

Um. Heh. 20,000 or not, you can get the same types of tents custom made from Panther Primitives. And you don't even have to go to the port of New York City to pick them up.
BANANAPHONE!

_tears_

Post by _tears_ » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:49 pm

I pretty much have my idea of a perfect tent.

The only thing I would change... that is came with someone to set it up for me lol.

Its a 4 to 5 person tent, fiber glass dome tent. Its 6 feet two inches in the middle, mesh roofing that can ZIP , windows and along the whole tent is a clear strip of plastic like stuff that i can see out of and also on the rainfly so i can still see out, also can be covered for privacy.

Over all it works really well for me aside from it being a bit hard to set up, but then again i can barely set up a puptent, so its not the tent, its just me :-P
[size=84][color=red]
Tears 2003, 2004
[/color][/size]
[size=100][color=darkred]
The Ties That Bind Me Hold My Soul
[/color][/size]

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”