Where am I camping?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Fat SAM

Where am I camping?

Post by Fat SAM » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:40 am

Everybody seems to know way in advance where they are camping. How come I don't? How do I figure it out? I have friends that aren't showing up until later in the weeka nd I'd love to be able to say, oh we're at 6:30 and such and such, you know? So please...How do I figure it out ahead of time?
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:28 am

There are 2 possibilities:

first they might be part of a Registered Theme Camp, where the BM powers that be assign a space in advance. The deadline for application for theme camps closed on July 1st, so you are out of luck for 2004 as far as a registered camp goes (but remember this for 2005!)

second, they may just be heading down there hoping to camp in a particular spot (away from the pre-registered camps in "open" space) - but this is first-come, first-serve so you may not get the spot you want.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:16 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have enough BRC experience to really know how to read the little tiny city map that I have...What's that highlight pink area? Is that where theme camps go? How much space can out campsite take up? seriouslyAny advice about camp site stuff (the five W's, you remember? Who, What, When, etc.) would be soooooooooo appreciated!

Thanks, btw, Jafe, for your reply. No theme camp for me this year, but I am already working on something really fun and interactive for next year!

panda

Post by panda » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:34 pm

You don't. :)

You can maybe think "hrm, I think I'd like to camp around 6:45 and Jupiter" but that doesn't mean that when you get there that 6:45 and Jupiter will be open. Or that you'll like the vibe that you get coming from that particular spot.

Personally, I've always come in knowing a general idea of an area I'd like, but really it all comes down to what spot looks good when you come upon it.

That's why you put a message up in Center Camp for your friends.

pokiedot

Post by pokiedot » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:44 pm

Fat SAM wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have enough BRC experience to really know how to read the little tiny city map that I have...What's that highlight pink area? Is that where theme camps go? How much space can out campsite take up? seriouslyAny advice about camp site stuff (the five W's, you remember? Who, What, When, etc.) would be soooooooooo appreciated!

you've got the right idea. the shaded areas on the map are for placed, registered theme camp. everything else is up for grabs. you should be able to find a site with as much space as you need, it just might be further out in the city limits. get there monday to get a good spot. you can tell your friends the general neighborhood your hoping to be in, but bring a good landmark item, like a flag, so your friends can spot you. and be sure to leave a message up on the playa info board with your address, once you're settled.

-j

headquarters

Post by headquarters » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:11 pm

what we have done in the past because we have had people showing up later in the week also. We decide before we even leave for the playa just a SUPER general area to camp in. We usually say somewhere between 3 and 4 o clock and thats about as specific as we get. We then have a time frame of when the other person will be arriving and we buy and syncronize beforehand some of those little walkie talkies. So when the later person arives they just head over toward 3Oclock and call on the radio, i or someone then goes on our bikes and leads them to camp. It has worked very well the last 2 years. YMMV

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:09 pm

We're pulling in Monday morning around 5 or 6 am depending on when we end up leaving here...We're so worked up right now about it, I'll be surprised if we don't just get there at 12:01. :D

I think we'll end up doing something like what you're saying, HQ. We're just going to have to figure out a place to be and then leave a note at Center Camp. The walkie talkies are a great idea but not feasible for us because of the cost...I think the flag thing is a good idea, too.

Thanks guys!

Burp!

Post by Burp! » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:06 pm

Just remember it's a friggin big place and full of alot of people. Come later in the week it's going to be a bitch to find someone. So have a real good plan. The walkie talkie thing works well, maybe there is some one who can loan a couple to you and your friends. The flag may work, but you are going to need to get that thing high up.

At the very least have a meeting place at the man at a few times a day, arrival day and on (if they have a problem, flat tires, car trouble etc).

NoFlash

XS

Serendipity on the Fringe

Post by XS » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:31 pm

Hey Sam,

It's my second time this year, and though I have limited experience on the playa myself, I found that space fills up fast adjacent to the theme camps. There's plenty of space early in the week, near the fringe, (Uranus, Pluto, Sedna,) where I found the scene to be more quiet, definitely more chill away from the PA's and general cacophany near the esplinade. Not that I'm against cacophany. Y'know, ya gotta bring SOME noise. You might actually have an easier time hooking up with your buds if they have less territory to scan in order to find you. I was at 5:30 and something? right on the fringe last year. It's was most tranquil. Easy in, Easy out, easy going vibe.

Have an awesome burn bro!

XS
Too much is never enough.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:15 pm

Actually, we finally did figure out a good place to camp thanks to everyone's advice. I think we should end up somewhere around 8:00 and Saturn. We like a little cacophany and can even sometimes deal with clamor, though tumult or uproar may be too much. I think we're looking at the right spot. If we make it out (and I really, really hope we do - so many plans...too many to fall through, now) I think we're going to do alright.

Gothalot

Post by Gothalot » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:45 am

Sam,
We tried the walkie talkie thing last year and naturally there were all sorts of rude yahoo trolls on them so it was near impossible to touch base when the campmates came in. There IS an information or (misinformation-depending on oppinion) center in center camp that was taking listings last year so you could just ask for a name and see where they were. They had to register of course. I think they did a pretty fine job over there and we were listed and found.

An interesting thing about putting up flags or becons of sorts. I noticed that durring the week the landscape changed day to day. Everytime I had my barings and looked for a specific icon or flag near my camp it would be gone the next time I wanted to use it. Someone else would have rolled in at night or whenever and blocked its view or drasticly changed the landscape. Its all part of the fun though, another challange! I have one of those hand held GPS's now and hope Ill make use of it.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”