drafted onto the esplanade!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Quidam

drafted onto the esplanade!

Post by Quidam » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:07 am

Ahoy yon wired burners extraordinaire!

This year my camp, Prometheatrics (if you got into a 4' mirror cube hung from springs, that was us) , has been placed on the Esplanade without our having asked for it. Not only that, but we've been placed at 9:30 & Esplanade- giving many members of our camp the jjjittters about being close to the large-scale sound art that lives out on the fringe.

In the hopes of helping mitigate any minor crises that may arise, I turn to you, the hive mind, for aid and counsel.

From you Esplanade camps, what advice would you give to a camp new to the boardwalk? We know Esplanade camps are supposed to be interactive 24/7, but should that obligation apply to those who didn't ask for the privilege?

And in regards to living out at 9:30... Are we right to be afraid? There's already talk of a satellite camp for people to flee to for sleeping. I'm concerned over a camp mitosis wrought by a placement we didn't ask for.

Me? I'm thrilled to be on the big E. Temple right across the street, ringside view of the Man. But I want to be as prepared as possible to help assuage the grief of any camp members that's due to our front-line conscription.

Jordan 10-E
Burning Since: 2002

Post by Jordan 10-E » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:25 am

24/7 is a broad concept. You should be alright with that issue. As for volume, anywhere along the Esplanade you will find that. I think you guys should suck it up and be happy. Don't stress. Your Burning Man experience will be just fine. However, if some in you camp just can't deal then maybe a satellite camp would be good.
10E

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:19 am

I was at 9:00 and the outer key ring last year. Honestly, I didn't find the sound to be all that bad and it seemed that most sound camps near the 10:00 area really made an effort to have their systems pointing towards the open playa. Can't think of a single night where the music around that area was overwhelming.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:54 am

I wouldn't worry about the 24/7 thing. I would just stick to the plan that was presented to Theme Camp Placement and honor that agreement. Bring ear plugs and hope that nearby camps do as they are "supposed" to and keep the speakers off the ground. I have camped out that way before and was able to get some sleep.
Be the change you seek in the world.

stuart

Post by stuart » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:15 pm

are you listed as 9:30 and esplanade or esplanade and 9:30?

if the former then your frontage is on the spoke rode and not on the 'big E'

Either way, Howdy Neighbor!

I would suggest that you have shade that is both on the street as well as more private. This will let you hang out, chill, eat your meals, drink your beer, etc., while wathcing the world go by. I did this last year and loved it. It also helped with that 24/7 interaction thing. The more secluded shade will assuage the grief of some of your less enthusiastic camp mates.

9 and outer ring is quite different than 9:30 and inner ring. At the very least the inverse square law should be applied. I expect it to be loud out there. Perhaps a satellite sleeping camp way out in the burbs, or even walk in camping might also help with the more sound sensitive of your mates.

In the end, embrace your placement like you would an invigorating white out and you might just find you love it.

diggum

Post by diggum » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:40 pm

I checked the theme camp locations list, and they do appear to have placed you at esplanade and 9:30, implying it's ON the esplanade. Oddly, my pals over in Area 47 (Flight 2 Mars, Alien Monkey Love Nest, Space Virgins) are also assigned the same location.

Can't wait to see the fight a brew over this. At the very least, I'd contact [email protected] and verify there wasn't a goofup on your placement. At the most, I'd suggest you put on one helluva show cuz I'm coming over and I'll be drunk.

Quidam

one helluva

Post by Quidam » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:57 pm

we've had our placement confirmed and have no intention of fighting anyone about this. if sound becomes an issue, we'll speak to people about it and hope for what respect we can get. as i've said, i'm stoked about this, but i'm one of the hardcorps showing up on thursday. i'm kinda hard to faze.

as far as one helluva show...

this year we're bringing back the hypercube- a four foot wooden cube the inside of which is coated with acrylic mirror. this we suspend point-down from a 10' scaffolding (by bungee this year- by springs in the past) so that you're bobbing like a bottle in an ocean of infinite depths and reflections. at night we send you in with glow-toys, led's, etc., but the piece d'resistance is when we have you put on the rainbow glasses... and hit you with a strobe light. flickering rainbows bending off beyond the event horizon in every direction and more of you than you've seen in one place before. we might rig some fibre optics or string lights for a vault of heaven effect. we'll see...

this year we're adding the magic mirror self-portrait studio. your photograph will be projected onto the back of a sheet of plexiglass upon which is magnetted paper. supplied with all sorts of non-toxic art media, you'll be able to trace an accurate rendition of yourself with nary a shred of skill. remove and color with chalks, watercolors. give to a lover or write a prayer on it and toss it into the temple's blaze of glory.

oh, and if you're drunk?

we have a trampoline.

YVATROSIODBA!

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:30 pm

Best of all, you're parked by the Seattle Ghetto. Some of BRCs finest will be your neighbors!
surlier than thou

xevioso

I lived at 9:30 and the Esplanade last year

Post by xevioso » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:20 pm

We were in Kamp Krotus in the IGS village.

We had our own sound system, but actually it wasnt that bad. If you want pure silence then yes, you will have difficulty there. You will be having our spot it seems. It seemed to be actually a little qieter the further out you got from center camp until you came to the larger sound camps. This year we will be at 8 and the Espalande, so I expect it to be even more lively. You should love it, because lots of people coming from the other side will see what you put up as soon as they get to your camp without having to go down any side streets to see you. Its a lot of fun.

--Xevioso

stuart

Post by stuart » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:15 pm

Oddly, my pals over in Area 47 (Flight 2 Mars, Alien Monkey Love Nest, Space Virgins) are also assigned the same location.
as is my camp but not to worry, the block is much wider than the 200' of frontage area 47 has listed.

From what I can tell this block is going to be a pile of fun and full of good people.

thedrunkenmonkey

Post by thedrunkenmonkey » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:25 am

YOU DAMN SKIPPY!

Area 47 rocks the Shizzy fo Nizzy...

Okay, I can't keep that up.

But what I can keep up?

BEEER!

AHAHAHA!

Look for the Viking in the blue furry pants.
BANANAPHONE!

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:22 am

Hey, we're on the esplanade this year too! Never been there before...I feel quite special.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

Jordan 10-E
Burning Since: 2002

Post by Jordan 10-E » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:37 am

One of the best things about the Esplanade is the view! The inner playa is crazy to watch, especially on burn night.
10E

Quidam

vista del hombre

Post by Quidam » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:47 am

i'm thrilled about the view, myself. and the fact that, when we want to go a-burnin', we only have to go across the street- if that- to be spinning fire in the midst of all the madness.

this year we're building a cargo-net style hammock resembling a spider web / solar system between two towers of scaffolding. i can't wait to be stretched out on it and gazing across over the madness & glory of Black Rock.

night of the burn i'll be inside the great circle and you don't get a better view of the man than that.

Lostfolio

Post by Lostfolio » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:14 pm

Howdy Neighbor! I'm in Area 47, Flight To Mars specifically. Stop on by for a drink.
Love pussy, hate Bush

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”