If last year was your first year, take heed!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: If last year was your first year, take heed!

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue May 15, 2012 6:27 am

Has there been any talk of how the 2012 playa is looking?

yes, i heard it was going to suck.

duh.
"the same thing we do every year, pinky"

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters

burn,burn,burn 2016

MyPlayaUserName
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Ass Stamp Camp

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Tue May 15, 2012 7:53 am

Is there any way to edit posts? I accidentally typed that the weather has been getting better since 2012, but I meant 2009.

shykat

Postby shykat » Tue May 15, 2012 7:59 am

MyPlayaUserName wrote:Is there any way to edit posts? I accidentally typed that the weather has been getting better since 2012, but I meant 2009.

Nope....You fail the internet....Sorry..
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Tue May 15, 2012 8:03 am

MyPlayaUserName wrote:Is there any way to edit posts? I accidentally typed that the weather has been getting better since 2012, but I meant 2009.

Yes, but only shortly after the post so that people can't go back and rewrite their history.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bob » Tue May 15, 2012 8:23 am

Dis)'(rack wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:Still, for my money, 2004 might have had the best weather, but it's all rather subjective at this point.

Man, I think you forgot about the one day in 04 where the wind was taking down camps left and right (I think Tues). My neighbors got blown the F up and ended spending the rest of the week under my camp's structure. We had tents go down, and a carport at our camp was ripping the tiedowns and rebar out of the ground; we had about ten people trying to hold it down and it still lifted our feet off the ground a few times. That was a scary day on the playa.

That's why the smart money (like Doc's) is in RVs.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Rice

Postby Rice » Tue May 15, 2012 8:52 am

MyPlayaUserName wrote:2008 was a banner year for dust storms. Really intense, and wasn't there even talk of canceling the burn? I cant remember now if it was 08 or 09 that the fire conclave didn't perform. Think 2008. I remember temple burn night being really windy, cold, and disorienting as well. The weather has gotten easier every year since 2012. Realistically, I'm not complaining, but I definitely had moments last year where I thought "this is just too easy" and "those people are just way too clean". Just a big costume party! I think even I slacked off on tying things down.

Has there been any talk of how the 2012 playa is looking? Has there been much rain out there this year?

http://blackrockdesert.org/friends/current/conditions

http://www.wunderground.com/US/NV/Gerlach.html Should give you the current weather conditions.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 15, 2012 9:40 am

MyPlayaUserName wrote:The weather has gotten easier every year since 2012.

:agog:
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Tue May 15, 2012 10:42 am

You can't fool us. We know you're posting from The Future.

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed May 23, 2012 5:36 am

I have a feeling with as mild winter the US had it is going to be windy as hell and dusty. I am worried about my tent. I got those spiral dog stakes sense re bar is not an option on the train. God I hope it works!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

Rice

Postby Rice » Wed May 23, 2012 7:52 am

tattoogoddess wrote:I have a feeling with as mild winter the US had it is going to be windy as hell and dusty. I am worried about my tent. I got those spiral dog stakes sense re bar is not an option on the train. God I hope it works!

Here is what I use. Image

10 of these weigh the same as 2 reebar pegs. very strong. I found mine at a army surplus store. I fly from Canada and have never had a problem.

If you can, setting up your tent beside a car so it can act as a bit of a wind buffer helps too. Try to have your tent door facing away from the wind.

As long as you plan the best you can, you should be ok. In the end, you will have help if you need it!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Wed May 23, 2012 9:56 am

We use those to stake down parts of the HFWA. One and a bungee cord keeps the display easel in place. Good stuffs.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005

Postby dragonpilot » Wed May 23, 2012 1:11 pm

I have it on good authority that because last year's weather was so mild that this year's is going to be horrendous...hours long dust storms, rain...the worst!

If in doubt, sell your ticket and stay home. You'll be much more comfortable in your Barca Lounge watching Housewives of New Jersey reruns.

That is all.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

gyre

Postby gyre » Wed May 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Shambala wrote:
catinthefunnyhat wrote:Good idea... kind of like a lighthouse. And Centre Camp is probably a good place to head to if you're lost and/or in need of help, generally.
What colour of light best cuts through a dust storm. Is it amber, as with fog, or something else?

White is used for lighthouses since it can really cut through fog for miles and miles! Blue however would be really sexy! :D

The focus of a beam is the primary thing that allows a beacon to reach through fog.

Amber is not actually more effective in fog.

Blue may be the most effective color at night, but I am unaware of research in this area.
Deriving color from white light requires filtering most of the light, so ineffective.

Using a native source, like LED or HID may be a different thing.

Lasers were useful for getting back to camp one year when the dust was blinding.
Strange thing was that people going the other way had a clear night.
It was only blowing one way.
I was surprized how quickly I went the wrong direction between lamp posts.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bob » Wed May 23, 2012 7:21 pm

Those spiral dog stakes are designed for lawns. The playa is not a lawn.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed May 23, 2012 7:42 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:I have a feeling with as mild winter the US had it is going to be windy as hell and dusty. I am worried about my tent. I got those spiral dog stakes sense re bar is not an option on the train. God I hope it works!

A 5 minute stop in the Reno or Sparks Home Despot and a little cash will get you some pre cut rebar and peace of mind. Hammers are easy to borrow on the playa :D .

That reminds me. I need to repair the Stainless Wonder( my 1$ hammer) and make a rebar pounding sleeve or two.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Dis)'(rack
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Blue Team Burners

Postby Dis)'(rack » Thu May 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Bob wrote:
Dis)'(rack wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:Still, for my money, 2004 might have had the best weather, but it's all rather subjective at this point.

Man, I think you forgot about the one day in 04 where the wind was taking down camps left and right (I think Tues). My neighbors got blown the F up and ended spending the rest of the week under my camp's structure. We had tents go down, and a carport at our camp was ripping the tiedowns and rebar out of the ground; we had about ten people trying to hold it down and it still lifted our feet off the ground a few times. That was a scary day on the playa.

That's why the smart money (like Doc's) is in RVs.

We got three of those at our camp too.

Actually, that same storm in 04 annihilated the pop-up awning on another camp's RV when they couldn't get it down in time. Bent up the hinge assembly and they were struggling to get the awning into a position that was even drivable because it was so deformed. Never did hear how they ended up getting off the desert.
You pay your money...you take your chances

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Thu May 24, 2012 2:16 pm

Dis)'(rack wrote:Actually, that same storm in 04 annihilated the pop-up awning on another camp's RV when they couldn't get it down in time. Bent up the hinge assembly and they were struggling to get the awning into a position that was even drivable because it was so deformed. Never did hear how they ended up getting off the desert.

Using an RV awning is possibly the worst idea possible on the playa. I have seen many of them destroyed by relatively mild wind gusts (compared to the playa) here in NY camp grounds. It doesn't take much, but yet they can cost over $1k to fix depending on the size.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Thu May 24, 2012 2:49 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:

A 5 minute stop in the Reno or Sparks Home Despot and a little cash will get you some pre cut rebar and peace of mind. Hammers are easy to borrow on the playa :D .

That reminds me. I need to repair the Stainless Wonder( my 1$ hammer) and make a rebar pounding sleeve or two.

Yes. Please make two. :)

What kind of rum do you like?
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

tattoogoddess

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu May 24, 2012 10:45 pm

Bob wrote:Those spiral dog stakes are designed for lawns. The playa is not a lawn.

What if there is astroturf? :)

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 24, 2012 10:58 pm

Go ahead and use it.

motskyroonmatick
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu May 24, 2012 11:00 pm

Savannah wrote:
motskyroonmatick wrote:

Yes. Please make two. :)

What kind of rum do you like?

I'm not picky. It can even be my rum should I be unable to pour for my self due to being tied down by other things. :P
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

tattoogoddess

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu May 24, 2012 11:21 pm

trilobyte wrote:Go ahead and use it.

Astrourf?! I have heard it is VERY moopy. plus no room. I guess I will see about the spiral stakes. I am not able to go to the home depot. Just a food run. Plus no use for them after.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 24, 2012 11:28 pm

I was talking about the spiral stakes. Astroturf is fine (we used it for a 'front yard' aspect of an installation we did at our camp one year), you just need to make sure the edges are all finished and it's properly staked.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Sun May 27, 2012 5:38 am

We found astroturf style rugs at Costco one year, made from recycled soda bottles. Soft, with finished edges. We bought two, but I wish we'd gone with four, as our shade structure has four tent/kitchen sections.

If the spiral stakes don't work out, ask around the village. I know we carry extra heavy duty tent stakes, and we can't be the only folks who do. We (collective BDCWB we) won't let your tent die.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun May 27, 2012 6:28 am

AntiM wrote:We found astroturf style rugs at Costco one year, made from recycled soda bottles. Soft, with finished edges. We bought two, but I wish we'd gone with four, as our shade structure has four tent/kitchen sections.

If the spiral stakes don't work out, ask around the village. I know we carry extra heavy duty tent stakes, and we can't be the only folks who do. We (collective BDCWB we) won't let your tent die.

Yep, yep, yep, if we see your stuff coming loose we will nail it down even if you are not around (((TTG))). 8) Most of us will have extra stakes, rope, bungees, paracord, whatever... seriously not gonna let your shit punch holes in mine, that's for sure. :P
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sun May 27, 2012 1:20 pm

MyDearFriend wrote: Most of us will have extra stakes, rope, bungees, paracord, whatever... seriously not gonna let your shit punch holes in mine, that's for sure. :P

I was thinking about bungee cords and truck tie-downs with metal cinching parts the other day. I decided they'd be more dangerous than just rope/paracord because if one end comes loose, then the metal end is whipping around in the wind. I have visions of bungee cord hooks snaking around, stalking through the duststorms for vulnerable windshields and tender, unsuspecting faces.

Is this a reasonable fear or just paranoia?
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun May 27, 2012 1:24 pm

I know someone who had a bungee break when she was on a bike. I gather it didn't go well.

I suppose that there might be some signs of wear detectable before putting a bungee into use. I'd check the cords for fraying and the metal for unbending? I odn't know if that's enough. I don't know how quickly a bungee fails...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

CornMan

Postby CornMan » Sun May 27, 2012 1:27 pm

What exactly are the playa approved structures?

Costco carports with ratcheting straps fastened to rebar?

Flat topped 1 inch EMT conduit/fittings canopies with 10x10 sections of tarps/bungee balls with same straps/rebar above? Shade mesh screen for walls?

Budget Rental Box Trucks fastened to the ground with 4 foot auger stakes and metal cables?
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun May 27, 2012 1:28 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun May 27, 2012 1:30 pm

None of the above!

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”