Testing a Monkey Hut - Fail

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Frizzboom
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Suggestions?

Re: Testing a Monkey Hut - Fail

Post by Frizzboom » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:13 pm

The jig breaks down a bit the 10 footers pull out, I finally had to glue joints because of too much float and inconsistency in square in the first two tries. I was ok with ME doing the measuring and squaring with a tape and square in practice, but it was an hour of ME work. I am trying to practice Radical CAMP Reliance WE are all pounding rebar. The boys keep saying they are going to pitch their own tents and not to count on their help, I am not sure what they mean.
What does not kill me makes for great campfire stories.
Be Good,
Frizzboom Dinkdoodle

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:01 am

FWIW if the purpose of the jig is to keep things squared I go a different approach, no extra hardware just a tape measure and a little math. It's easier to lug that cross-country in my head rather than in the back of my vehicle. There's plenty of room in the former, not so much in the latter....just sayin'.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:22 am

You can use the tarp as a square! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:55 am

But wouldn't it get dusty? Bwahaha

Just because I'm obstinate I'm going to cut a 27' length or rope, chop 5' off, put a loop on each end and at the 5' and 10' mark off one side and then tie the 5' length or cord 3' off one side and 4' off the other side of the 10'/12' foot loop. There's your jig for you. Place rebar in each loop, reverse and bang in the other 2 rebar pieces. No measuring on playa.

Yes, I'm bored.

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:50 pm

FIGJAM wrote:You can use the tarp as a square! 8)
I have a finished 10 x 12 tarp that I'm using as a floor. Stake it down with the five foot point already marked on the ten foot side and I'm ready to go.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Frizzboom

Post by Frizzboom » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:24 pm

I'm building a 30' and two 10 footers and am going to try and get 7 people to put this thing up like a machine, I agree with the MATH aka "42" thing as I have built my practice huts, but I want them pounding stakes quickly and efficiently, because time is beer people!
Be Good,
Frizzboom Dinkdoodle

oscillator

Post by oscillator » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:27 pm

Here is my setup that has worked very well for 4x BM and 1x non-BM trip to BRD.

With no BRC 'windbreak' the non-BM trip was very windy and the only problem was that the wind shifted after we setup the windward-facing side. The 30 mph wind caught one leeward edge and a rib pipe pulled up from the rebar. I improvised a wind break and that held.

Things that work:

1) Pull the tarp tight over spine/ribs and use tent stakes to secure the tarp edge if that edge meets the ground, or bungee the edge to rebar stake.
2) Use lots of bungie balls and stakes, no flapping edges!
3) Use a ratchet strap to pull the spine links tight.
4) Bonus! Hang LED light/rope along the ratchet straps, hand lanterns, etc.
5) Adjust the MH height by differing the width: ie, The above is 12' width. 10' width gives greater center height.
6) I just use the spine to measure the rebar points, the width is not critical (see above).
7) Tight enclosed tarp ends can resist the wind to some degree, but:
8) It will get hot, so I roll up the ends to afford air flow.
9) Rebar is set with a slight outward skew - this helps PVC tensioning.

HTHs!
MonkeyHut-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Weebdog
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Camp Burnout

Post by Weebdog » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:27 pm

We just set out the monkey hut pvc assembled flat on the playa so that it kind of looks like a fish skeleton. There are marks on the pieces that make the arches at the spots where the rebar should be staked (I forget how far from the ends). This gives you the spacing and distance for rebar staking. We pound in all the rebar and then we just pick up the pvc that makes the arches, walk towards each other and place them on the stakes. Works great and no jig/template needed.
Run Silent - Run Deep

International Incident
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Post by International Incident » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:35 pm

Sic Pup wrote:But wouldn't it get dusty? Bwahaha

Just because I'm obstinate I'm going to cut a 27' length or rope, chop 5' off, put a loop on each end and at the 5' and 10' mark off one side and then tie the 5' length or cord 3' off one side and 4' off the other side of the 10'/12' foot loop. There's your jig for you. Place rebar in each loop, reverse and bang in the other 2 rebar pieces. No measuring on playa.

Yes, I'm bored.

I like this - thank you

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:07 pm

That's a great Idea, but requires too much prep - I'll stick with my measuring tape.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Post by Martiansky » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:06 am

When you set up the monkeyhut ribs do you make them the same length as the tarp you are using so that it wraps around the end ribs or a little longer so when you use bungeeballs that it has tension?
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs

BeeWeeDee

Post by BeeWeeDee » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:28 am

I don't. I like to have a little space between the end ribs and the tarp. That way I can pull the tarp taut and it then compresses the center spine. Getting a tight tarp on the ribs is critical in the wind.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Sic Pup wrote:But wouldn't it get dusty? Bwahaha

Forget measure twice and cut once.

Measure once and never do it again.

Frizzboom

Post by Frizzboom » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:35 pm

Nice! Kinda blew my joke but I needed to Nice that.

here is the joke:
"Hey I am thinking of bringing a monkey hut to burning man this year anyone have any tips?"
Be Good,
Frizzboom Dinkdoodle

Frizzboom

Post by Frizzboom » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:23 pm

This thread seriously made our trip fantastic! without all of you we would have had a major fail. LOVE YOU ALL! Our video The Monkey hut set up is at :55, it worked great! the jig was the way to go with 8 people. The kids said the only thing about the video is you cant hear all the yelling during the set up. the rest of the video is just the regular BM YT shit.........Peace.
Be Good,
Frizzboom Dinkdoodle

Frizzboom

Post by Frizzboom » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:26 pm

http://blog.burningman.com/wp-content/u ... _3500w.gif
Preliminary- greened it 4:15 and Kow! I've been sweating :) JK.
Be Good,
Frizzboom Dinkdoodle

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”