Past Camp Map / Arriving

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
JasonFL
Burning Since: 2013

Past Camp Map / Arriving

Post by JasonFL » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:44 am

Does anyone know of a high-rez map of past theme camp placements? Never been to BM before and I'm trying to figure out the flavor of various neighborhoods so I can make a good choice of where to try to land.

I'm probably over thinking here, but there's a lot of information to digest.

Also, does anyone have a sense of how fast the map fills up? Going with a friend and we'll be arriving Wednesday morning - if we don't join a camp will we end up in the outskirts? Is that a bad thing? I'm a medium action kind of guy - want to be a little removed from chaos, but be able to dive into whenever I want.

Thanks!
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

~ Hunter S. Thompson

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Re: Past Camp Map / Arriving

Post by Elliot » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:27 am

:D
Welcome, Jason!

Yes, you are probably over-thinking it. And yes, by Wednesday you will probably be limited to the outskirts. No worries. You can get anywhere you want from whereever you are -- and you will rarely make it to your destination anyway, because you will be distracted by something else along the way.

Concentrate on reading the Survival Guide and other first-timer information. Be sure you understand the ethos/ethics of the event, such as leaving no trace which includes not even dropping a loose thread on the ground. Then you'll be fine.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

AbundantChoice

Post by AbundantChoice » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:16 am

Also, camps can and do move from year to year, sometimes quite drastically. The large-scale sound camps will be on 2 and 10, Center Camp will be Center Camp, but nothing else placement-wise is guaranteed from year to year.
All Black Holes Begin As Stars.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:55 pm

JasonFL wrote:Does anyone know of a high-rez map of past theme camp placements? Never been to BM before and I'm trying to figure out the flavor of various neighborhoods so I can make a good choice of where to try to land.
It changes a lot from year to year, so going from a previous years map won't help you much. As stated above: 2:00 & 10:00 are the large sound camps - if you camp near those areas you will be hearing more noise than you would in other parts of the city, even though it's not really quiet anywhere. Center camp is right at 6:00 & Esplanade (but you won't be able to camp near that, as all that area is theme camps). 7:30 and about D has become the Gayborhood in recent years, more by default than design, though camps of a gay or sexual nature do ask to be placed around there.

Arriving on Weds means you'll probably end up on H or further back, but there's no way to know which area is going to be open until you get there. This is a link to a large aerial image from 2012, you can see that there is more space in the backstreets (street in the "front" facing the Man is Esplanade, first street after that is "A", then goes alphabetically. They'll give the streets names, but they'll always start "A", "B", "C", etc).

Find a site you like that looks like it has enough room for you, check with the neighbors before setting up just to make sure it's clear, then go for it. People aren't supposed to hold land for latecomers, but they do anyway (being people and all), so it's always good to ask first.

Note: I've also moved this to "shelter & camping", since it seems like a better fit.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:01 pm

I showed up one year at 9 AM on a Thursday. We barely had a place to squeeze in on the very outermost street. Had one of the best Burns ever! Awesome neighbors!

Don't worry if you're not right on the Esplanade...in many ways it's nice to be some distance away from the intensity of the inner circles and escape to the 'burbs for some relative peace.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

JasonFL
Burning Since: 2013

Post by JasonFL » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Great information! Keep it coming. How does finding a site actually work? I mean, do you just drive up and down streets when you arrive looking for a place to squeeze in?
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

~ Hunter S. Thompson

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:23 pm

You're overthinking it, don't let that whole fear of missing out bs grab hold of you. If you're searching for high rez maps from previous years' events so you can strategize on where you might best find a spot to land when you arrive several days after the start of the event... it might be a bit much.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be in a great neighborhood... hell, who wouldn't? But the long and the short of it is that it's an entire city made up of great neighborhoods.

Eric's right it does change from year to year, and in some past years things have filled up pretty quickly. In the last couple years, though, the city's expanded quite a bit to accommodate (same shape, but larger area). The first few streets from the center will probably be packed in pretty tightly, but there should still be plenty of room.

The useful planning info I'd suggest is to remember that the large-scale sound installations are placed on the 2:00/10:00 streets, so if you want to be closer to the big club spaces to dance the night away, aim towards those areas. The biggest daytime bar is Distrikt, which is typically on 9:00 at F/G. The G street has been evolving into a Boulevard over the last couple years. It's twice as wide as the other radial streets (which invites lots of mutant vehicle traffic) and intersects with the plazas at 4:30 and 7:30. Lots of great space should still be available to you when you arrive.

Finding a site is easy. Find an empty space, you're there. If there are nearby neighbors, pull over, hop out of your vehicle and go say hi. Ask them if the space is open...most of the time it is, but this gives them the chance to tell you about some campmate they're still waiting on before you've parked and started driving stakes into the ground.

MacGlenver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Post by MacGlenver » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:26 pm

JasonFL wrote:Great information! Keep it coming. How does finding a site actually work? I mean, do you just drive up and down streets when you arrive looking for a place to squeeze in?
Yup
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

BeeWeeDee
Burning Since: 2012

Post by BeeWeeDee » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Close but not too close to the bank of porta potties is a good idea.

This year I plan on being a bit farther in or away from a road - the water trucks coming by (always appreciated) got the back of my monkey hut a few times.

Neighbors are great to have - but having a view of the desert and mountains without someone's evaporation contraption is worth something as well.

The theme camps have been placed with their space and I don't intrude there.

I tried to think of the prevailing wind but it can come from any direction - my concern was for the errant heavy structure improperly or inadequately connected to the playa rolling and careening into my sleeping body. My mind also brings up this image of raging fire racing through a packed neighborhood charring tents and vehicles in its wake (Mrs. Oleary, her cow, lantern, and poof! There goes Chicago).

Orientation of your shade structure to avoid the mid-morning to late afternoon rays makes it a bit more comfortable.

Basically - find a spot, ask around, plunk your campsite in and get involved.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Talking to your nieghbors about thier plans for the week is also a good idea.

Will they be running a generator all week? Will you?

Are they going to play loud music all hours? Will you?

Which way does the exhaust from the RV genny point? Does yours?

It's nice to get aquanted because you'll be pretty close for the week, plus we keep an eye on each others stuff! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:15 pm

There really is very little bad real estate in BRC - I've enjoyed my time on H street just as much as closer in. just talk to the neighbors before setting up.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

slvrnmph
Burning Since: 2005

Post by slvrnmph » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:21 pm

I probably wouldn't bother driving in closer than I street on a Wednesday as it can get packed and that space is likely already taken.

Theme camp area is shaded on the map - don't bother looking for camp ground in the shaded areas, but also remember it does tell you were the placed theme camps are when you adventuring. Along some of the major spokes out theme camps have been placed as far back as K in the past.

Everything else seems pretty well covered.

Your first night out find some sort of big glowy thing to use as a landmark, even if it's on the Esplanade, to help guide you back home to the right area of the playa. It can be really helpful to know that when you see "the big white glowing flower" home is in that direction across the open playa.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”