Advice on finding people to camp with

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
newburner13
Burning Since: 2013

Advice on finding people to camp with

Post by newburner13 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:43 pm

Hey guys,

This is my first burn, and I'm looking for people to camp with, and rideshare if both are possible. Any advice on getting in touch with burners willing to camp with people? I've registered on BM rideshare, so I'm trying to just locate my people. Any advice/recommendations would be immensely appreciated! I'm going to a local burning event tomorrow in my local area to see if I can get more info from those peeps.

BurnerBunny
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Advice on finding people to camp with

Post by BurnerBunny » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:06 pm

orphan camps might be a good idea to search for too.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:12 pm

Ur... what's your local area?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:20 pm

This is the kind of thing you start working on in October.

Usual ways to get to meet folks are the local year-round events, jumping in on a project of some sorts, or even hanging out here on a daily basis and shooting the breeze with folks.

But alas, that ship sailed a long time ago.

You are gonna roll them dice this time around. It just may be your year to pull up somewhere on the playa where you get a good vibe, set up camp and have a grand solo time. It's awesome in more ways than you can imagine.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:26 pm

Just show the fuck up. You'll be instantly surrounded by 86,000 of your beast fiends.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:44 pm

I second the wise Uglas Douglas. You don't have to be in a camp with anyone. Just show up (you were gonna have all your own logistics and needs handled, right? You'll figure out who, if anyone, you wanna camp with next year. You'll be fine and have a ball this year.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

newburner13

Post by newburner13 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:56 pm

You mean I can just roll up and set up my tent? That's it? I'm working on my logistics. And yes, I'm super late to the game. But if I have to, I'll go solo. I'm from Los Angeles.

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Absolutely!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

newburner13

Post by newburner13 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Wow, I was given misinformation then. Well, shit. Okay, here we go!

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:20 pm

yeah, mis informed you were.
It's a huge place, and there are lots of spaces on the map that are for unplaced groups and campers. Just find an open place, and say hello to your neighbors. See if they are doing all night drumming, or such. You want to be comfortable where you land. Your neighborhood will be your home base, look out for your neighbors and they look out for you. My first year, I rolled up in the dark, thinking I'd scope out a "better" place in the morning. I slept in the car, woke up, and someone came over with a hot cup of coffee. I decided I had found the right place already.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Major Krash
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:24 pm

My friends and I camped for years before joining a "camp"....there are reserved areas that you cannot camp in (those are for camps that have registered and been given placement), generally the "better" spots, at least according to some. But much of the city is open (you will be given a map that shows this on your entry, plus it is available on the site now). Grab any open space that is not in the reserved areas, and start meeting your neighbors!
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:53 pm

NB13: A prediction for you (if my trusty crystal ball, given to me by the late Harrietta Hoodunmee is to be believed). You will arrive, late, exhausted, and near death, on a Sunday. You will crash-out in a veritable heap after getting through Gate and Greets. You will HATE this fucking thing known as "Burning Man". Later, you will awake to a city in flux and turmoil, smoke and dust, and the landscape will have changed radically from just 6 hours ago. You will meet a half-naked Valkyrie who insists on cooking you breakfast and reading your fortune. The thought of a high-colonic irrigation session will not send you screaming. You may even agree to this because at some cosmic level, your Inner Hippie demands it. You will then find yourself honor-bound to be the Big King Sandwich Maker for his/her camp at lunch and discover culinary talents you never imagined you could possess. Knifes will speak to you. Cheese is putty in your hands. Bread becomes your bitch. Sandwiches will be made. And it will be Good. Someone will name you, and other will anoint you with this name. Thereafter you will be sucked-in to the communal vortex of a camp and find you can not escape. You will enjoy this. Crisis and Drama will ensue. Friends will be made, and coolers will be emptied. You will forget to drink water, and you will break down into Primal Man. You will sob. And curse. Then you will visit the Temple. And the Man. A guy named "Peaches" wearing nothing but a tutu and a marble pouch will offer you a tea ceremony in the deep playa under the stars at midnight. You will DisOrient. And then we will set you to Burn. Time will stand still and the universe will roll around you. You will meet people from an imaginary past and promise to see them in a distant future. Fire. Dust. Lust. And then you will find yourself on the road to home, and you will swear by the Gods and their Keepers that NEXT YEAR, (and fuck a duck!), you will be back.

Or something. :)

In other words, just follow your nose. Something as simple as someone cooking bacon may answer your Soul Call and become the nexus of your burn.

Go with it. Be the ball. Explore the possibilities. Rule nothing out. And dont even try to explain it to the folks back home. They won't believe you anyway. :wink:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Lots of people this year seem to think that you must be part of a camp in order to secure real estate for their stuff. Where did they get this idea from?
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Theraplst
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hotel Rug

Post by Theraplst » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:43 pm

I will be going in solo, with 3 storage buckets of stuff and 10 gallons of water. hopefully a bike. either a bike or a 4th bin of supplies. supplies tbd.
They call me simba

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:53 pm

BurnerBunny wrote:orphan camps might be a good idea to search for too.
Unfortunately all three orphan camps are full, but newburner13, you can always start a new camp like we did our first year. See if any other solo campers on here want to group up with you and camp together. Pick an open address on the map, figure out a name for yourselves, and show up! :) Or just go solo, you'll have fun either way. :)

Theraplst
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hotel Rug

Post by Theraplst » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:06 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:
BurnerBunny wrote: See if any other solo campers on here want to group up with you and camp together. Pick an open address on the map, figure out a name for yourselves, and show up!
For the record, this is something I'm interested in. I'm taking the burner express bus, and I'm trying to live comfortably for a week on "4 Large luggage items and an oversized item"
They call me simba

socks

Post by socks » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Theraplst,
You will be better off with a bike than a box of TBD.
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:16 pm

Fittingly, we started a camp thread on August 5th, 2010. :D

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... ng#p574356

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20 pm

I love it when a camp comes together.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:36 pm

Even if you are getting together with someone else, it's always best to have your radical self sufficiency figured out.

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:47 am

Now is a good time to start panicking, get it out of the way. don't camp on the 6-10 side of the city (thats where the perverts are)
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:46 am

graidawg wrote:Now is a good time to start panicking, get it out of the way. don't camp on the 6-10 side of the city (thats where the perverts are)
I resemble that! :x
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

BurnerBunny

Post by BurnerBunny » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:15 pm

graidawg wrote:Now is a good time to start panicking, get it out of the way. don't camp on the 6-10 side of the city (thats where the perverts are)
awesome, now I know where to go!

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Solo camper at BRC since 2005, I was a boy scout in the Fifties, paratrooper in the Seventies, and lawman in the Eighties. I have always gone with the motto, " Be Prepared! ". Playa Info lists opportunities, jobs, rides, and camping leads. Just ask. :D
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:47 pm

newburner13 wrote:Wow, I was given misinformation then. Well, shit. Okay, here we go!
Yeah, people oversold camps to you. Well-meaning, wicked bastards. :lol:

I've camped with 19 hometown people my first time (knowing only one of them). They weren't a theme camp, just a camp-camp. :) In the 4 Burns after that: with just one other person. We always had people surrounding us and went visiting people and camps all day long. And after that, I experimented with being completely "alone" one year (had neighbors & friends) and after that, being with a large, fun but low-key group.

To this day I wouldn't say I've had the full-on super-involved theme camp experience, nor have I ever paid dues. I bring my own shade and food and water and washing up tricks. All my associations are purely social. I like all my responsibility to be to myself, and my volunteer shifts.

You've been given some great advice in this thread (loved GreyCoyote's rhapsody). Here's a little more.

Where Do I Camp?
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=29356

And if you still want a camp, a few camps (linked below) are still accepting people, but it's late in the game. If you don't see something awesome that fits you, prepare to the teeth and go alone. You'll be surrounded by people unless you camp way out in "Walk-In Camping". (Don't do that.) Just be in an open non-theme area.

2013 Theme Camps
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewforum.php?f=323
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

mdonaghey075

Post by mdonaghey075 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:32 am

Me and a friend are flying in to SF to get the burner express and I've been wondering about logistics myself. Finding people to camp with sounds ideal. We only have standard luggage allowance so I was doubting if I'd be able to bring a shade structure with me. I'm also a little concerned about carrying water any tips? This is my first burn!

International Incident
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Post by International Incident » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:04 am

Advice from an overseas burner.
Don't worry about your "shade". You can visit your neighbours. Make sure you can stake your tent down - good pegs.
Water - pick the bus that stops at the shops and buy your water.
You can also do without a cooler. Bring shelf stable drinks, food and booze. Most camps would be happy to swap out warm beers for a coldy if you are nice!
You will be fine.
Message me if you want to ask questions outside the forum - 8)

pretty_monster
Burning Since: 2010

Post by pretty_monster » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:53 pm

didn't join a camp my first year. found an empty patch of dirt in the wee hours of the morning, set up our tent, and awoke the next day to find that we'd been adopted into a camp and that they were making us breakfast. well... all righty then. Camp Dawdle 2010!
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

DiAliShea

Post by DiAliShea » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:31 pm

You definitely don't need to be part of a camp.

My first burn, it was myself and one of my sister's friends who I knew of but did not know. I was really going solo, but had some company for the drive. This year, I'm going solo but picking up a rideshare. I'm not a theme camp person. Just too selfish, I want to spend 100% of my time how I want it.

People there will welcome you with open arms, you'll be fine. Just remember that whole radical self-reliance thing.

nnevvinn

Post by nnevvinn » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:49 pm

I have a new theme camp that still has some space. Where can I advertise to people who are looking for a place to camp?

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”