Hexayurt Transport on Roof Rack?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Myliatronic

Hexayurt Transport on Roof Rack?

Post by Myliatronic » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:05 pm

Hello dust bunnies!

I just got slammed with $2000 in vet bills (kitty is okay, phew!) and had to give up my rental van. Luckily I still have enough to make it to the playa, but funds are tight. I will now be driving my Honda Fit out with my lover, and I'm trying to assess if it is possible to carry our hexayurt on my roof, or if we need to send it with someone else. Ideally, I would like to take it myself to ensure its safe arrival on playa and to avoid being tied to someone else's schedule. Does anyone have any experience hauling a hexayurt on top of a small car? Does it work? What kind of roof rack do you recommend? What precautions should I take? Any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
-Mylia

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Hexayurt Transport on Roof Rack?

Post by lucky420 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:19 pm

Get a large roll of shrink wrap. Wrap it length wise and width wise first. The ratchet it like hell to you rack .

It will be like your yurt is one big solid block of cheese
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

MikeGyver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:35 pm

Myliatronic wrote:Hello dust bunnies!

I just got slammed with $2000 in vet bills (kitty is okay, phew!) and had to give up my rental van. Luckily I still have enough to make it to the playa, but funds are tight. I will now be driving my Honda Fit out with my lover, and I'm trying to assess if it is possible to carry our hexayurt on my roof, or if we need to send it with someone else. Ideally, I would like to take it myself to ensure its safe arrival on playa and to avoid being tied to someone else's schedule. Does anyone have any experience hauling a hexayurt on top of a small car? Does it work? What kind of roof rack do you recommend? What precautions should I take? Any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
-Mylia
Roof racks aren't cheap. But if you find one, get a piece of plywood to set the yurt on then wrap it in a tarp or, as 420 said, plastic wrap. It will KILL your fuel mileage, Best option would be if you could borrow a truck or get someone else to haul it. Better for it to get there in one piece than to have it with you.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:46 pm

You've already blew your best option. You should have had the vet euthanize the cat.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

MacGlenver
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Post by MacGlenver » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:18 pm

jkisha wrote:You've already blew your best option. You should have had the vet euthanize the cat.
I thought it, you said it. :-)
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:29 pm

MacGlenver wrote:
jkisha wrote:You already blew your best option. You should have had the vet euthanize the cat.
I thought it, you said it. :-)
Hey it's a cat for Christ sake. I love animals, but that just defies common sense. You can rescue another one at the ASPCA for $30.00 after the burn, and you wouldn't have even had to worry about a cat sitter.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:26 am

Did someone udder "cheese"?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Shoeshine
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Post by Shoeshine » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:34 pm

I transport my hexi on my roof rack every year. Though I do have a good Thule rack w/ extender bars for a sea kayak.
Highly recommend tarp wrapping and sandwiching it between 2 sheets of at least 1/4in plywood. Ratchet strap the whole deal to the rack and run another around the unit a couple of inches from the front. (key being to keep wind from separating the layers)
and yes, it kills your mileage but I wouldn't trade that for not having my hexi on playa.

GL
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Fiver

Post by Fiver » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:22 pm

Shoeshine wrote:I transport my hexi on my roof rack every year. Though I do have a good Thule rack w/ extender bars for a sea kayak.
Highly recommend tarp wrapping and sandwiching it between 2 sheets of at least 1/4in plywood. Ratchet strap the whole deal to the rack and run another around the unit a couple of inches from the front. (key being to keep wind from separating the layers)
and yes, it kills your mileage but I wouldn't trade that for not having my hexi on playa.

GL

I did the same last year on my Outback with a Thule rack. (just the bars) Wrapped the floor tarp around the walls, then sandwiched that inbetween 4x8' OSB boards. Ratchet straps to the point of being ridiculous. On top of that I even put my monkey hut PVC.

I used almost 50% more gas getting out to the playa in 2012 when compared to 2011 because of this setup, but it did travel fine.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”