Cooling my Parachute covered dome

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
nubbled21
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Laughing Monkey

Cooling my Parachute covered dome

Post by nubbled21 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I was thinking about making one of the 5 gallon bucket evap coolers to help keep my dome (V3 - 5/8 - 16') cool this year but was wondering if anyone had any advice on whether or not it would make much of a difference with a parachute cover.

This is the one I was looking at making: (http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=33842)

Will it be worth it to haul extra water for it? Is the insulation of the dome just too shitty to consider bringing one?

What other options do I have to cool a parachute covered dome? (I know what the advantages and disadvantages of a parachute are so maybe just some constructive advice?) Do you think mylar sheets on the south side of it would hold up in the wind/cool it down at all?

See ya in the dust!!!

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Re: Cooling my Parachute covered dome

Post by mudpuppy000 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:13 pm

Some sort of mister might work well. I don't think you're going to be able to do much to cool it since the insulation is so poor on something like that.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:23 pm

The insulation is not as much of a factor as being able to move enough air.

In a relitivly open space, the bucket cooler would cool a couple of people sitting with the air blowing right on them, otherwise it's not big enough.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:27 pm

I lugged a swamp cooler in last year for my parachute covered dome. It was a total waste.

Spray bottle / mister is about the only thing that worked for me. In fact, I'm throwing the dome away as it is useless for a cool environment.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:51 pm

Parachute Cover - That's your mistake. They are totally useless as shade material.

What you are going to bust ass to build is going to be an oven.

Way better to put up some tarps over 1/3 of the dome along the sun azimuth and path and leave the rest open.

Good Luck.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:34 pm

I've been in swamp-cooled domes on the playa that were terrific. It's not that the idea doesn't work, it's how you're doing it.
My old camp did a parachute shade, same result - it was an oven.
You need better cover and a LOT bigger cooler!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:06 am

As a point of reference, a 5000 cfm swamp cooler on a 30 foot dome PROPERLY COVERED, can have the occupants wishing for sweaters in the heat of the day. These things work amazingly well in 5% humidity. All you have to do is get rid of as much solar input as possible, and methinks this is where your train went off the tracks.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:52 am

If you don't end up using a swamp cooler of sorts, just putting another layer of sheets on it is going to help with shade considerably along with helping prevent the parachute from billowing in the wind like it would with nothing else between it and the frame of the dome. Also just opening two opposite ends during the day will cool it down quite a bit as well(you can use a breathable sheet to cut down some on dust, or jsut make it your friend). Take lots of spring clamps as they have been a lifesaver for mine..

nubbled21
Camp Name: Laughing Monkey

Post by nubbled21 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Awesome. Thanks you guys. I think I might abandon the cooler this year and just try out straight venting when I need it. I like the sheet idea, I think I will try that. Now I gotta worry about rain!

guerrillayogi
Burning Since: 2009

Post by guerrillayogi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:49 pm

How about a vent fan atop the dome / 'chute? I'll be living in a 2V dome (12' diameter), and I've rigged a solar exhaust fan on the ceiling.

My evap cooler will be 100% solar, powered by a 40W panel (that also powers the vent fan).

I'll also have a shadecloth about 1-2 feet over the dome.

Hopefully the exhaust takes care of hot air buildup, leaving the cooler air to fill the dome!

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”