Sealing the mesh on your tent

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Sealing the mesh on your tent

Post by TomServo » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Duct Tape or Gorilla Tape works awesome! This takes two people to apply, and about a half an hour, but I swear it works! Just use GOOD duct tape like Nashua..or Gorilla tape. Layer and cover, until mesh is closed.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Re: Sealing the mesh on your tent

Post by C.f.M. » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:22 pm

I was quite pleased with the ease and success of Savannah's safety pins and sheets method. Laid the sheet on, put a few safety pins through the mesh (borrowed tent). Quick and easy to put on and off. Tossed the sheet when I was done.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:54 pm

thats what ive been doing for a bunch of years.

the year i tried 'sealing' was a disaster...(as in hotter than fuck than normal) i much more prefer being able to open and close the vents...

a sheet keeps the dust out when i dont want it..

and opening it allows airflow mid day when i need it.
Don't link to anything here!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:20 am

I welded a 18 inch square wind release & cover in the top of my shelter with Goop glue and grommets.. Placed a small rope then folded back the edge and glued..

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:59 am

I used a sheet and some clamps to cover the mesh in the roof of my tent. Stayed really dust free, although there was very little/no dust where we were camping this year.

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:24 am

My wife took a rain cover from another tent, cut it and sewed it over all the top mesh. If you do this don't forget to apply a water proof sealer to the seams. I found out the hard way in 2010 that the seams leak if not sealed :( Since then I've also used the rain cover as added protection. No problems. BTW - nice to have finally met you face to face Tom.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:12 pm

I've had abysmal luck with duct tape on mesh (fortunately it was over a small area) . . . but let's face it: I may have had less classy duct tape than Tom's. (In fact, you may count on it!)

This is why I like slightly stronger measures, just in case.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:21 pm

It's really hard to get even good duct tape to stick out there with all the dust. For holes and shit, I usually have to put some tape on the other side and stick the two surfaces together through the hole. Maybe it'd work with mesh too, if the sticky side can stick to the other sticky side.

On another note, Costco sells Nashua duct tape for a great price. I think the price for two rolls is better than what I paid for a single roll of 3M tape at a department store.

If you want a more permanent solution, I'd suggest getting a Stitching Awl. I've sewn up sheets, sandles, even my fez's neckstraps! So useful, and the waxed string is strong and lasts forever!
Last edited by BBadger on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

strange love
Burning Since: 2011

Post by strange love » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:23 pm

Spring clamps and a sheet/tapestry work great.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:29 pm

strange love wrote:Spring clamps and a sheet/tapestry work great.
Yep, every tent in our camp had a comforter or felt blanket held on with spring clamps. Kept out almost all the dust. Our tent has no mesh and we still top it, cuts down the ambient light and noise, and regulates the temps. Starry Night comforter, great choice visually.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:25 pm

I use fleece for everything. You can always get cheap used fleece throws. It's a great dust filter and insulator. This year I even made a curtain for the van that completely sealed off one of the sliding doors. On a couple of occasions I couldn't sleep with the back hatch open. It kept out the dust.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:25 am

Ratty wrote:I use fleece for everything. You can always get cheap used fleece throws. It's a great dust filter and insulator. This year I even made a curtain for the van that completely sealed off one of the sliding doors. On a couple of occasions I couldn't sleep with the back hatch open. It kept out the dust.

Hey Ratty, Sounds like a good idea... Need it for the van.. I like to keep the side an back hatch open.. This should cut down the dust inside..

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:09 am

It was so easy. I sewed one seam on top and ran an oversized bungie cord through it. I used the handles and hooks on the ceiling to attach it. One end I slammed in the drivers door up front. In the back I just tucked it under my mattress. I made it long so I could weight it down to keep it in place. An almost perfect seal.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

gus
Burning Since: 2013

Post by gus » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:59 pm

TomServo wrote:Duct Tape or Gorilla Tape works awesome! This takes two people to apply, and about a half an hour, but I swear it works! Just use GOOD duct tape like Nashua..or Gorilla tape. Layer and cover, until mesh is closed.
Man, Gorilla Tape really worked!? I kept reading that even that wouldn't adhere properly; dust, to the tent itself, etc. I super-glued cut-to-size blue tarp onto my mesh for this year. IT GOT HOT. But I had the peace of mind that it was dust-free inside. Take it from me, CONSIDER the heat implications others have mentioned. I didn't fit under our shade structure so by 8:30-9 AM that thing was an oven. Sucks when you're getting back at sunrise every morning. Yeah, I didn't get any sleep this year. :(

Krokodyle
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too / Camp Space Hole

Post by Krokodyle » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:35 pm

I couldn't get my fabric-attached-to-the-top-vents-by-sewing-or-pins situation dealt with before I left, so I ended up using blue painter's tape, applied to *both* sides of the mesh, with the mesh between the tape layers' sticky sides. I found the widest roll that Scotch made, applied it in slightly overlapping strips, and it stuck together very nicely. It was only by the end of the week that it started to separate a bit from each other and by then I didn't really care about the minor amount of dust I'd end up getting inside (granted, it was NOT dusty in my camp at all this year). While I don't think I would recommend the blue tape solution--it does create tape waste that I had to dispose of after the burn--it worked for me because 1) I was inept and couldn't get the fabric attached as I wanted, and this was a quick solution; 2) my vents at the top of this tent are fairly small; 3) the tent was under a shade structure, and the vents were under a rain fly...which prevented the adhesive from every getting very hot; 4) I wanted to use this tent again as a non-BM tent, and I can.

Next year, if I can't get the sewing sorted, I'm going to Gorilla Tape at the edges of the fabric patches to my vents. But hopefully I can figure out another way.
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.

"DON'T TELL ME HOW TO BURN™"

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Home Depot has a in store brand of blue painters tape at half the price.. Work the same for me..

lothos 1162

Post by lothos 1162 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:05 pm

I buy a large blue tarp,cut it into mesh patterns,and seal it with Gaffers tape,and a rain fly. :twisted:

sharpstick

Post by sharpstick » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:32 pm

I bought a cheap Target cabin tent, with a short rain fly and full screen ceiling. Don't know what I was thinking. It was a windy year, the dust just blew up under the fly and dumped all over the tent.
For the next year, I cut two pieces of ripstop nylon , glued it overlapping the screen ceiling, tack stitched it and covered the seams with Gorilla tape. It lasted the whole week, but the tape was coming loose from playazation. The next year, I cut larger pieces of housewrap(tyvek or the cheaper EZwrap, I don't remember.) sprayglued the hell out of it and mummified the top of the tent. That tent lasted five friggin years total!
The next version, I had some leftover roof patching paint. It's like super thick latex house paint. I set the tent up at home and painted all the screen areas with the stuff. It took two coats to fill in all the pinholes. Used it last year and it held up well.
It does get a bit stuffy. I could have left the window screens unsealed, but I have a good shade structure and swamp cooler.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”