Discount cheap free kitchen gear?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Discount cheap free kitchen gear?

Post by tattoogoddess » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:16 pm

Starting to put together our new camp kitchen for 2014. We need pots, pans, cooking utensils ECT. Large cooking for community dinner will be done so larger pans and what not are needed along with normal sized.
Does anyone know a good place to buy these? Discount sites? Budget is under $200 for everything.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Discount cheap free kitchen gear?

Post by maryanimal » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Try the dollar store for kitchen utensils, thrift stores or yard sales. you can get some great utensils on the cheap.

here are some websites that look reasonable.

http://www.wholesalecentral.com/wholesa ... -page.html

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... nstraint=0

Good luck and have fun in your search!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:57 pm

Thrift stores, yard sales, estate sales. Tons of stuff, and cheap. It might take some hunting for the larger pots & pans, but utensils, regular pans and the like will be easy to find. If you're worried about the stuff, just bleach it & clean it well before taking it to the playa.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Flea Market. A big one will have both dollar store new items and actual used goods. You could probably get everything in one trip.

If you can score some old heavy duty pots, steel wool and elbow grease is all you need.
Sic Semper Spectatores

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:37 pm

I wish we had flee markets around here. I don't even think we have one in Des Moines (capital)

Ya good will has some stuff, but not that big heavy duty stuff. Ideally a chafing dish would be great for serving.
In camp we do one big meal a day, one group of campers gets together, decides what they want to make, brigs the stuff and cooks a meal. So for 50 some people we need big stuff. Plus kist regular stuff for people if they want to cook lunch or whatever. We are going off how poly paradise has their kitchen set up. It's pretty damn sweet.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:13 am

We have the exact same group-meal setup in our own camp, for the same amount of people (~7-10 people serving 50-70), and I can't even imagine why you even need $200 worth of cooking-ware -- used or new -- to serve up a meal for everyone. You're going about this all wrong, and you're going to be wasting a lot of money and time with unnecessary food prep and other frivolous stuff. All you need are about 1-2 aluminum cooking pots for cooking and reheating (if even that) and some platters to dump your food onto (or just leave it in the pot). Large-sized pots like that are like $30-35 new. I'd spend most of the money on a camp grill, which you can cook food on without even having a pot. Hell, if you're sharing this grill among all the people in the camp, just ask/force people to skip their morning coffee for a day and pony up a whole $4 each to buy it.

You don't need chafing dishes. You're not serving some banquet at a conference hotel with some Sterno puck heating up the food. Why are you wasting your money on ridiculous shit like that? People just want to eat something good, not see some magnificent presentation. They line up, plop food onto their plates, and move on. I'd just laugh if someone told me to use those things for serving food. Just get some disposable aluminum platters, dump the food you're providing on it, and put it on a table. Or just leave it in the pot. If the people don't line up immediately and grab food while it's hot, too bad. Provide some bread, some dessert, or other filler to diversify the food and make people full.

Anyway, you don't want to be slaving over a stove making this meal for half a day. Most of your food should be either 1) pre-cooked that you can just heat up on the grill (burrito fixings, chili, etc.), 2) fresh that just needs slicing (vegis), 3) cooked fresh and served up immediately (e.g. hamburgers). We brought pre-cooked pulled pork last time, and just heated it up in some crock-pots we found at a thrift store for $5 each. It worked great, but even if we didn't use those crock pots, we'd just slow-cooked on the stove it in some $25 pot. That food was coupled with some sliced fresh vegis and some wraps. Everyone loved it, and it was the third time we brought essentially the same thing. We just dumped the various heaps of vegis in the aluminum platters, using the lids as platters too. In the end, we had so much extra food that the vegis were used in subsequent meals.

Even the people who serve food out of pots essentially just brought some 12-quart pots with the food already in it. Others just brought the food in the crock-pot that they originally cooked it in. These were good dishes too with lots of diverse foods, fresh ingredients, etc., not just chilli every day or something. It's not difficult, you just have to be efficient, plan ahead, and avoid stuff that doesn't matter -- like presentation.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:17 am

My initial reaction was much in line with BBadger. If I was in charge of food, I would keep it likewise simple with probably 75% of my cooking done on the grill/griddle. Grilled meats, veggies, etc.

But it sounds like you really want to have a good kitchen with varied items. I love cooking so I understand that desire. I would google flea markets in Iowa. You might not have the type near me that are open every weekend, but I'll bet there are a few seasonal ones, or big ones in the spring.

Other than that, Ebay, Craigslist, Freecycle.

And my biggest secret http://www.shopgoodwill.com

It's a goodwill auction site. They have great stuff and less traffic than ebay, so i find the pricing better much of the time.

ETA: Also restaurant auctions. Never been myself, but you can search online for in person restaurant auctions where the equipment of a closed restaurant is being auctioned off.
Sic Semper Spectatores

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:08 am

I respectfully disagree. If you were in camp last year you wouldn't understand
We are investing in two somewhat industrial 3 burner propane grills. Those are $44 each. I don't want to go into the logistics of it all. To much to type right now. But we really do need a proper kitchen set up.

Vc, ohhhh auctions didn't even think about that! Thanks!

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:52 am

Reataurant auctions and sales are great source of commercial items, just know what you are buying. Most of the stuff you will get has been used hard (but is still servicable). So plan on a lot of cleaning before use. And its HEAVY. I moved a commercial Vulcan range once. Eight guys barely budged it. Took a forklift to get it into the truck.

As others have said, a griddle is great for a lot of things once you learn how to use it. If that angle interests you, there are some good deals on eBay from reputable sellers. Again, watch the weight. Commercial griddles start at 5/8 inch of solid stainless on the top and go up to more than an inch. Propane conversion kits are available too.

The idea of a buffet-serving table with chaffing dishes may prove to be problematic unless you are inside and out of the breeze. Otherwise consider using garage sale crock pots for holding if you have a little power. Serve from the cookpot and put the leftovers for the stragglers into the crock pots. It will stay warm and dust free for hours, and even after powering down will retain heat pretty well if throw a towel over the lid. This is ideal for quenching those midnight munchies.

Personally I am wired like TTG. Meals to me are not something slopped into a tin cup and stirred with fingers. I want real food, at least a few times during my burn, and I am not shy about taking the time to do it right. Some of my best memories come from "feeding time".
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:16 am

This got me thinking, because while I love to cook and entertain, on playa my tastes and desires are much simpler. Grilled steaks and veggies. Pillsbury cinnamon buns or biscuits. Simple, tasty, hot food. The playa environment seems to make all food and drink more satisfying, and while I love finely crafted gourmet food, I don't miss it out there.

I have a friend who likes to throw dinner parties but makes nothing in advance. Usually it's past 10pm by the time we eat (The night of steak au poivre was particularly long) Others who have every thing, no matter how small a gathering, catered or just delivery. I learned at my mom's side, and her lesson was do as much as you can ahead of time. The experience is as important as the food. You want it on time, you want to feel comfortable and relaxed for your guests, and be able to be a proper hostess and not just a cook. It's a lesson that I think applies well to the playa, not necessarily out of a desire to be the perfect housewife-hostess which I most certainly am not, but because it's a harsh environment to be doing anything in. If you can reduce the amount of actual cooking/prep time on playa without greatly sacrificing quality, then everyone wins.

But I agree with TTG, if different people or groups of people are going to be cooking different meals, you really do need a more robust kitchen. Or you need to tell people specifically what utensils and vessels are provided and then have people plan around that.
Sic Semper Spectatores

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:34 pm

Anyone else seeing a pattern?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:38 pm

welcome to my world.

all i see are patterns.
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:36 pm

Yep
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:42 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:I respectfully disagree. If you were in camp last year you wouldn't understand
We are investing in two somewhat industrial 3 burner propane grills. Those are $44 each. I don't want to go into the logistics of it all. To much to type right now. But we really do need a proper kitchen set up.
No, please do go into the details of why you need a catering-service-sized kitchen to serve a mere 50 people, or what problems last year motivated this purchase. I'd also like to know whether this communal kitchen was prompted by camp feedback or if it's just your idea.

In my experience, communal kitchen gear sucks, and most people don't like using it besides the stove or the sink. Why? Because of the obligation to clean the stuff to ensure that it is in the same pristine condition that it was found. It's like being in those suck-ass home economic courses in junior high, where everything had to be ready for the next class.

That's in the ideal case.

What usually happens is that your camp will contain people who don't give a shit, and leave the mess for someone else. Sometimes this could mean outright not bothering to clean at all. In most cases, however, it's a bit more subtle, such as a bad or untrustworthy job of cleaning (e.g. "wet wiping" the dishes) -- better, but again, leaving the mess to the next group of people. What are you going to do? Those people have finished their "shift" and it may be the next day that anyone notices the bits of food stuck to the gear. You may not even know who was responsible, or if it was the whole group or just some member. Do you drag them back into the kitchen to reclean the dishes? Will you be the one to enforce this?

Anyway, who can really blame those people. The dinner ends as the evening begins. Who wants to wash all that gear after cooking the meal? Who wants to do it after putting it off the night before -- especially when it's just so someone else can use it?

Forget that shit. The veteran people in your camp will realize just how much this situation sucks and bring their own gear and not touch the communal stuff. After the meal, they'll do a light washing of the pots they brought from home and put it away so they can do the real scrubbing when they get back. They save themselves an hour or two of cleaning, and they're completely absolved of clean-up blame. Yeah, it's more gas or paying for platters or something, but it's Burning Man -- time is the valuable commodity, not the miniscule amount of money that you save sharing cookware.

If you want a major clusterfuck, make the cooks responsible for cleaning the dishes and utensils for everyone too.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:06 pm

Yard sales and thrift shops you might find good cast iron cookware.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:33 pm

I don't like the thought of communal meals because I don't like to obligate myself for something when I'm not sure of where or what state I might be in... :coffee:

I like just being responsible for my own chow. I'm not fancy...

But then again great smelling cooking meals can make me say "damn,want"
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:44 pm

lucky420 wrote:I don't like the thought of communal meals because I don't like to obligate myself for something when I'm not sure of where or what state I might be in... :coffee:

I like just being responsible for my own chow. I'm not fancy...

But then again great smelling cooking meals can make me say "damn,want"
guessing this would be "damn, want want"?

http://www.homorazzi.com/wp-content/upl ... roduce.jpg
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:32 pm

YES! That is spot on :twisted:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:38 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Anyone else seeing a pattern?
For serious.

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:17 am

Sic Semper Spectatores

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:34 am

Dat bone!

Even in a camp of seven people, the common items in the kitchen fell to Larry to clean, or to me. Everyone is supposed to clean their own things, and one of our campmates chose to go the disposable utensils/paper plates route... which meant we had more trash to haul out. We have designated individual dishes, and washing tends to be sporadic because we don't have a big evap pond, just a small evap pan (which we forgot last year, yikes). Still, we let things go for a few days, except for what Larry and I used directly, and there was a dusty pile of spoons and cups on the kitchen table in under 48 hours. I think our virgin wasn't confident in what she could or should do, and one of our campmates is still acting like a guest. Better communication can resolve that, overall, a minor issue. Magnify it by 50... could ruin a burn.

I agree, even of you do/don't do communal meals, folks will do their own thing. The more you provide, the more you will be saddled with. You will need a kitchen bitch, if you don't choose one, it will choose you.
It might be useful to new folks or people who are stepping up the size of their camp to know what did go sideways for your camp last year, in order to learn along with you. Let your hindsight be their forewarning.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:01 am

If there's an agreed communal cook group, than they should do the clean up as well. I agree with Badger, that a kitchen (and a bathroom) is where we see a big a range of the definition on "clean" best evidenced, and most contentious. Also add alcohol, and a lot of this gets totally distorted. The cleanies get really pissed off, and the dirties wonder what the problem is, and neither group feels they are doing anything out of line. Didn't you awake in the med area last year over camp trouble? Brave, TTG, to expand on that experience. plan plan, and let us know how it works out.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:20 am

BBadger wrote:
tattoogoddess wrote:I respectfully disagree. If you were in camp last year you wouldn't understand
No, please do go into the details of why you need a catering-service-sized kitchen to serve a mere 50 people, or what problems last year motivated this purchase. I'd also like to know whether this communal kitchen was prompted by camp feedback or if it's just your idea.

In my experience, communal kitchen gear sucks, and most people don't like using it besides the stove or the sink. Why? Because of the obligation to clean the stuff to ensure that it is in the same pristine condition that it was found. It's like being in those suck-ass home economic courses in junior high, where everything had to be ready for the next class.

That's in the ideal case.

What usually happens is that your camp will contain people who don't give a shit, and leave the mess for someone else. Sometimes this could mean outright not bothering to clean at all. In most cases, however, it's a bit more subtle, such as a bad or untrustworthy job of cleaning (e.g. "wet wiping" the dishes) -- better, but again, leaving the mess to the next group of people. What are you going to do? Those people have finished their "shift" and it may be the next day that anyone notices the bits of food stuck to the gear. You may not even know who was responsible, or if it was the whole group or just some member. Do you drag them back into the kitchen to reclean the dishes? Will you be the one to enforce this?

Anyway, who can really blame those people. The dinner ends as the evening begins. Who wants to wash all that gear after cooking the meal? Who wants to do it after putting it off the night before -- especially when it's just so someone else can use it?

Forget that shit. The veteran people in your camp will realize just how much this situation sucks and bring their own gear and not touch the communal stuff. After the meal, they'll do a light washing of the pots they brought from home and put it away so they can do the real scrubbing when they get back. They save themselves an hour or two of cleaning, and they're completely absolved of clean-up blame. Yeah, it's more gas or paying for platters or something, but it's Burning Man -- time is the valuable commodity, not the miniscule amount of money that you save sharing cookware.

If you want a major clusterfuck, make the cooks responsible for cleaning the dishes and utensils for everyone too.

Ok,

So last year we had two tables in the common area with a two burner stove in each. We brought a few pots and pans with a few cooking utensils. It was a fucking mess. People had to wait in line to cook. The area was not nearly large enough to prep meals and cook them along with being able to serve them. This year we are making a separate 20 x 20 kitchen area. Three compartment sink so we are able to have a food permit as we are doing bloody Mary's again this year and want to be able to provide pickles, celery, and other picketed things. We need room for prep.

In put camp we are a lot of non hippy types. We don't do the throw it in the cup method as above mentioned. Last year we even had beef burgunon (spelling?) we are a lot of people who really like to cook and cook well. Don't get me wrong we did have not so fancy food. But we do have two professional chefs in our camp.

At the end of 2013 burn when we got home. I made a survey and sent it out to everyone. One of the questions was what would everyone like to be different for next year. The over welming and landslide thing said was the kitchen hands down. (Had a few that said shower and we are fixing that to) but people hated the kitchen. I don't blame them, I did to.
Also not enough cooking dishes were brought and not enough stuff to make mix and what not for the bar. It's kinda like you had to be there to understand.

We have devised a plan this year from talking to other camps on how they Handel their communal kitchens. Bbadger this isn't my first fucking rodeo nor am I an idiot, nor do you know everything. Did you ever stop by our camp and check out what we were doing or how we sailed our ship? Nope.
I know the people in my camp and how they do their burns while in camp. I put full trust in them. They are a hard working group of people who get it and bust ass at the burn. I'm not worried about things not getting cleaned. We did not have an issue last year with things not getting cleaned other than the bar a bit and when asked for help cleaning, it got done. As said before, we are not a camp fully of lazy hippys, rainbow gatherers, to sparkle ponies. What is ecspected of campers is laid out before the burn and the first day of the burn in our camp.

Touching on the med tent comment, that had nothing to do with camp for the most part. I was dehydrated, Tom and I were having issues and vodka and a nap with my headphones sounded like a good idea. I drank to much, fell asleep and a camper found me puking in my sleep/pass out state. But it had nothing to do with the camp it's self. :)

Oh and crypto... Shut the fuck up already! Really. Tom and my self have no interest in what you have to say. Save the keystrokes.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:48 pm

I saw a group that had a small army of butane-powered buffet burners. These things are little stoves powered by a butane cartridge and you can pick them up for about $22/ea at many sporting goods stores. Cheap, efficient, and supremely useful. They also fit nicely under a chafing pan. These guys swore by them, and made some righteous eats with nothing but these burners and a cardboard box for a wind break.

While it's true you won't be boiling a 20 gallon pot of water with these, anything you could do on a residential stove in Defaultia can be done with them. Rarely do you need more than one "flamethrower" burner, so having a few of these available for your campers may make sense. Check 'em out and see if this would eliminate the kitchen lines. :mrgreen:

Edit: Link to what I'm talking about here:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

CaffeineGirl
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Post by CaffeineGirl » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:14 pm

While I personally do not like communal kitchens, largely due to all the grey water and drama they tend to generate, they have their place and lots of camps have them.

Personally, I am happy for any camp that says they are bringing all of their own food and preparing it. Every year we get more and more lost looking souls wandering into EspressoCamp wanting to know where the "free food camps are". I just tell them I got all mine from Camp Kroger. And no, I am not handing out bacon and waffles.

A way to save money on kitchen supplies would be to first make a list of what you think you need, then post it for the camp mates to volunteer to bring items on the list. Then look into purchasing what no one checks off. For large items, this area has restaurant supply stores that sell used cookware for pretty reasonable prices.

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Danielle, I'm thinking of bringing a couple of these to the playa for my Second Annual Taco Tuesday, as the frames can be reused and all you have to do is throw out the aluminum trays (mashing them flat) and buy cheap replacements. Ask your campmates to purchase some of the aluminum trays. usually they're 3 in a pack and under for under $4.00. I'll be using mine to keep the hot food hot while preparing the rest of my food which is cold.

it's your kitchen, make it to suit your needs! :D plus I'm happy your camp is a big hit! Take the good information and forget the negativity! :D

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterno-Large- ... t/15392326
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:28 am

Perhaps it's not your first rodeo TTG, but sometimes your second rodeo can go to your head. Just remember that you're not top rider either (nor am I!), especially considering that you've only had involvement in camp operations for a single year in a camp equally as old in everything but name. When you indicate that you don't even know where to buy thrift goods in general, or that you're seeking out stuff like used chafing dishes as part of some $200 limited kitchen budget, it brings up questions about whether you're the most qualified person for specing out a camp kitchen on a budget.

No, I haven't been at your specific camp, but that tired old excuse doesn't shield your ideas or illusions from criticism. It also doesn't imply that you really have any keener insight into your own camp's growth either -- only that you suffered the consequences. Considering outside input can save you on many of the pitfalls others have suffered when results didn't meet expectations. Still, I guess some people only learn the stove is hot by burning their fingers.

Yeah yeah, you don't run a "hippie camp" because you have the kind of "professional chefs" who cook up crock-pot meals like beef bourguignon. I just hope that the chef who prepared it was smart enough to not waste hours worth of portable fuel to slow-cook it at BM rather than at home. Anyway, I was only providing an informal description of how to serve food without squandering your limited camp budget buying second-hand specialty cookware. I'll admit that my use of verbs like "dump" and such makes it sound like this is just canned food or something lacking any prep; however, I was not implying anything about the food quality.

My real message is that, whatever you're serving, it's simpler and more efficient to serve the food in the pots that they're cooked up/heated in, or on disposable platters rather than serving food up like you're hosting a banquet. There's nothing "hippie-like" about people lining up with their plates and grabbing what they want from the 4-7 different dishes and sitting down somewhere in camp to eat. It just saves everyone time by concentrating on the food quality without the superfluous extras, while minimizing cleanup and cookware drama. Also having people bring their own kitchen gear also spares you clean-up drama, saves time, and puts the responsibility on those "professional chefs" to bring the gear they need to cook a decent meal, rather than use whatever thrift-store camp pots and pans someone bought.

Oh, and great that you fully trust all fifty (50) of your camp mates, that you know so well after that one year, in every respect. I'm sure your bullet-proof vetting process ensures that each and every one of them is a paragon of virtue and that nobody will drop the ball in your new cooking regime using communal kitchenware -- unlike all those other camps filled with lazy hippies, rainbow gatherers, and sparkle ponies. Still, I don't believe that even your camp has pulled off this paradigm-society. Congratulations if you have, but you should still tie up your camel just in case.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:49 am

I've at the point that BM isn't a race against the clock anymore. I do not feel compelled to be out there every second consuming art/jest/interaction/dust or producing same. So my days end-up being a lot more leisurely. I'm not inclined to crash and bang at meal times, and my eating habits reflect this.

Food can be (and to me is) an art form. It's also a sense of community and an opportunity to build relationships. Some may enjoy eating marginal slop out of a tin cup quickly so they can go play/do/see the next neato thing. And that's totally cool, and indeed you will see me eating two out of three meals like this. But I also enjoy lounging around camp, cooking and eating really nice food and sharing it with friends on the playa equivalent of fine china. It's a complete visual absurdity that sets a nice contrast to the typical Spartan-ism of Burning Man.

I happily acknowledge that my feeding habits may seem useless and counterproductive, but it's my meal and my burn. I'm happy to spend an hour cleaning dishes. And if someone hands me their plate/flatware to clean, instead of pitching a fit and lecturing them about radical self-reliance and going all Kitchen Nazi on them, I'll do theirs too. I'm well-trained that way, and it invariably means I get to spend a few minutes and chat with them and maybe make a new friend.

So. Anyone for shrimp etouffee on toast points? :mrgreen:
(A Beautiful Mind)

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:34 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:I've at the point that BM isn't a race against the clock anymore. I do not feel compelled to be out there every second consuming art/jest/interaction/dust or producing same. So my days end-up being a lot more leisurely. I'm not inclined to crash and bang at meal times, and my eating habits reflect this.

Food can be (and to me is) an art form. It's also a sense of community and an opportunity to build relationships. Some may enjoy eating marginal slop out of a tin cup quickly so they can go play/do/see the next neato thing. And that's totally cool, and indeed you will see me eating two out of three meals like this. But I also enjoy lounging around camp, cooking and eating really nice food and sharing it with friends on the playa equivalent of fine china. It's a complete visual absurdity that sets a nice contrast to the typical Spartan-ism of Burning Man.

I happily acknowledge that my feeding habits may seem useless and counterproductive, but it's my meal and my burn. I'm happy to spend an hour cleaning dishes. And if someone hands me their plate/flatware to clean, instead of pitching a fit and lecturing them about radical self-reliance and going all Kitchen Nazi on them, I'll do theirs too. I'm well-trained that way, and it invariably means I get to spend a few minutes and chat with them and maybe make a new friend.

So. Anyone for shrimp etouffee on toast points? :mrgreen:
I agree with you GC. I like the leisurely good meal cooked to "perfection" playa style a couple of times a week. My food choices will be very different than last year. Chips and salsa, tuna and crackers in the snack cans, plus I bring some premade stuff. I make my shredded beef for the tacos, before I leave so it's easier. I just put some dry ice in my cooler. (I need to find out the proper way to use dry ice in my cooler as it only lasted 3 days. I did have jugs of frozen water in my cooler too! That lasted well over the 8 days I was there!)

And if folks are traveling a very long distance, I think I'd find it hard to bring premade foods. I say, whatever floats your boat on how you cook or serve your meals, do what you want! I've learned many do's and dont's about food and cooking! Everything is on a learning curve!

And Shrimp etouffee on toast points sound delightful!

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:03 pm

That's great for you GreyCoyote, and I'm sure that there are lots of individuals who share that same view, including myself. However, I'm really addressing matters at the camp level where different standards, views, and levels of involvement/investment often leads to problems. You can either enforce strict rules (or assume that everyone is in perfect agreement) to keep the camp functioning cohesively in a specific manner, or allow groups to operate relatively independently except at certain points (e.g. camp dues, providing a meal on a certain day, etc.) to minimize friction. I usually find the former works good for small, tight groups; however, as camps become larger moving to a federation type structure usually works better. Resources, such as cookware, seem to be better accounted for that way too, and people bring the gear they know they'll need for whatever they're cooking.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”