Shade for industry, shade for the head.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
vachot
Burning Since: 2011

Shade for industry, shade for the head.

Post by vachot » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:25 pm

We are hoping to place our art, KognitoKhan, on the playa this year and we want to provide shade shelters for our patrons. Question is, what kind of shelters? We're thinking simple structures made of a few sheets of plywood and a few 2x2's or something, strong enough to withstand the wind, but easy to transport and assemble with circle-saws and screw guns. Does anyone have plans or experience with such a structure?

We are also looking for a small crew to partner with us and help with the shelters while we bring our 30' tall flame-spewing tower, audio system and lights from Kalamazoo. Tickets, materials and transportation costs will be covered.
Struggle and Change

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Shade for industry, shade for the head.

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:46 pm

Plywood can become a sail out there. It might also trap the heat. That's why a lot of people go with shade cloth or camo netting.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

vachot

Post by vachot » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm thinking pyramid shaped, wide base, low profile, deep anchors, with ventilation holes/ports/slots to allow ventilation and prevent air pressure build up and launch.

Reasonable?

And this type of feedback is just what we're looking for. Well, the best solution is what we're actually looking for, but constructive criticism can be helpful, too.
Struggle and Change

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:12 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:27 am

@ vachot: Look at pictures of other structures that have survived wind on the playa. It is unlikely that a bunch of 2 x 2 's will support a sheet of plywood when the wind get above about 20 - 30 mph. Take a look at Ranger outposts and how they are built. 4 x 4 ~ 6 x 6 sunk into the ground several feet.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

vachot

Post by vachot » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:01 pm

Yeah, I'm leaning toward a scaled down version of the star tents, like MozyBonz posted...

viewtopic.php?t=23569

...a few of these encircling our tower should stay put with appropriate anchoring. And I can build some windbreaks that can be moved around inside each tent depending on wind direction, and attached to the anchors for extra sheltering during storms. This could be a bad year for dust storms and I've seen plenty of burners run for something to hide behind during a bad storm last year, even cowering behind those long blue crapapillers.

So although KognitoKhan won't be set up next to you at the Hookah Lounge this year, I'll still stop by for morning espresso, bearing more fresh oysters.
Struggle and Change

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:02 am

You should probably also get in touch with the ARTery with regards to anchoring. You've mentioned deep anchoring a few times, there may be different rules with regards to digging holes on the open playa, as opposed to within the defined areas of the city. The ARTery can clarify that, as well as point you in the right direction for securing your art/fire safety.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”